shape
carat
color
clarity

Small is beautiful! Please share your rings with small gems!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, need inspiration for a ring with a small center stone, around 0.3-0.6ct. Anyone has these smaller beauties to share?

Typically we see the really lovely larger stones, but would love to see a thread with all the little lovelies that are too shy to come out and play with their bigger siblings. :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Small is beautiful! Please share your rings with small g

Old ring from my Grandma. Tiny sapphire cabochon.

sapphirering123.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

And the first ring I ordered from Jill Anish, with a 0.8 ct. spinel from Lisa Elser.

spinring555.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You may want to check out Leibish's jewelry section, as they have some nicely set very small diamonds.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Nice rings! (0.8 isn't very small though :razz:) I think the sapphire ring is very dainty and feminine.

I think there is something very nice about small stones that are set - perhaps it is the bank balance in the old savings account that makes smaller stones so appealing.

Actually I'm looking for inspiration for a small stone because I'm looking for a pink FCD, and although it isn't found, I'm wondering if a 0.35-0.5ct gem would be just TOO small when set.

Really hoping more people will contribute. :)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Here's my iddy biddy ruby and iddy biddy tanzanite (have no idea what size they are). They're both in gawdawful settings. The ruby was a gift from my mom when I was 14, the tanzanite was a "I got a real job" gift to myself in 1999 from Macy's.

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7153.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TristanC|1308111515|2946315 said:
Nice rings! (0.8 isn't very small though :razz:) I think the sapphire ring is very dainty and feminine.

I think there is something very nice about small stones that are set - perhaps it is the bank balance in the old savings account that makes smaller stones so appealing.

Actually I'm looking for inspiration for a small stone because I'm looking for a pink FCD, and although it isn't found, I'm wondering if a 0.35-0.5ct gem would be just TOO small when set.

Really hoping more people will contribute. :)

No, it is not, especially if you surround it with a halo or a double halo of white diamonds. I have seen stones as small as a quarter carat set that way.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

I love little stones that pop. A large gem may catch the eye, but a small one can really draw you in. Besides being beautiful, they're very wearable and stackable, which is a plus.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.italilambertini.com/rings/newrings.htm

In the upper row, there is a stackable ring with small diamonds and a couple of rings with small diamonds and small stones next to it.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock

Ah! - a perfect thread for ideas! I'm looking around for suitable stacker settings for my two pretty tinies - 5mm sapphire and 5.5mm spess - but I don't want to bezel, because the sapphire has such a fab range of colours in different lights that I think might get lost if he gets all bezelled up (and I'd like them to match settings, as I'd like to use different metals for each). I don't suppose anyone has pictures of more open settings of small stones that is a bit different to the usual 4 prongs...?

Sorry for slightly hijacking/expanding the thread OP :oops:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Go for it, the ideas you're asking for are pretty much spot on. I wouldn't want to bezel a tiny little 0.5ct round pink either... IF it is even 0.5ct. The 0.44ct fancy diamond is already close to 25K, and it isn't a nice enough colour yet.

That makes it just under 5mm round, so your request for ideas gels with the point of the thread!

I personally am not in love with halo settings, so was wondering if there are nicer settings for small gems than just halos to give the illusion of a larger piece.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

athenaworth|1308111668|2946316 said:
Here's my iddy biddy ruby and iddy biddy tanzanite (have no idea what size they are). They're both in gawdawful settings. The ruby was a gift from my mom when I was 14, the tanzanite was a "I got a real job" gift to myself in 1999 from Macy's.

Don't see what's wrong with the Tanzanite setting, looks quite nice to my eyes. =)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

TristanC|1308145191|2946508 said:
athenaworth|1308111668|2946316 said:

Don't see what's wrong with the Tanzanite setting, looks quite nice to my eyes. =)
The setting itself is OK, but the side stones look like frozen spit.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Was a time before PS when we all ooo'ed and aaaah'ed over frozen spit that everyone and their wifey had on their hands. Even the big honking gobs of spit that sometimes appeared on the showy folks.

Where did those days go? =)

Ahem, more rings please. Either that or I was right and everyone here thinks size matters!! :Up_to_something:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

My snake ring. The emerald and diamond are each about a 1/4 ct size.

kiz-snakering1.jpg

Purple and pink sapphires are about 1/4 ct size.
kiz-fcsapphire1.jpg

Cat's eye alexandrite is about 4x5mm
kiz-alex1.jpg

Demantoid ring is about 4mm
kizdemantoid.jpg

Sapphire is 4x5mm
kiz-sapphring1.jpg

On the left is a 4mm demantoid. The right is the cat's eye alex again.
kiz-freebies1.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Kismet, your collection is deeply cool. I love the snake ring, and the catseye alex.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

DSCF0092.jpg

My tiny 6mmx4mm star sapphire. My great-grandmother gave it to my mother, and thats all I know of it's history. It's got a funky setting but I wear it nearly every day.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Kismet, really beautiful rings! I especially like the snake and the 4mm demantoid! From the posts above I realised that smaller stones are really beautiful in that they use the entirety of the ring as part of the look, rather than just one central stone leaving the rest of the ring overwhelmed.

You have a lovely collection of smaller stones! You enjoy littler rings?

The delicate pink of that padparascha looks gorgeous! Is there a little hint of orange IRL? I think i see some of that gentle oranginess in the second pic. Somehow the ring looks very feminine and dainty on your hands

More please!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Maebelle, loving the history in that piece. Star sapphires were my favorite when I was young. Seemed extremely exotic. It actually doesn't look like it was made a few decades ago.

Oh, and I love your avatar photo. That daschund is adorable.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock

Kismet: I adore that first dementoid setting! Makes the most of the beautiful colour and cut :love: Your rings are all gorgeous, with such a variety of styles!

MTG: That Sally setting really complements the delicacy of your sapphire. I would never have considered the lotus with a 5mm stone, but it looks stunning. Would you think more than one lotus setting would look diminished/awkward stacked? I have a feeling it might look lacy and pretty if two were planned to be stackers together, perhaps at different heights...

Lots of food for thought here...! *plots*

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a small pink FCD about 0.3 ct which I plan to set into a ring together with another yellow FCD and have both halo-ed.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Pictures or it didn't happen chrono! :Up_to_something:

Quickly find someone good to execute your vision and then share please!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results