carat
color
clarity

Small diamonds! Yay or NAY?!?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Happy Friday!

You have all been super wonderful to me in the past year + that I’ve been part of the PS family. You helped me with my current ER and even tho it’s not ideal and purchased from a brick and mortar store you put me at ease. I could have done better with a preferred vendor but I decided to keep my ring.

Also, with your help and expertise I purchased my ACA studs that I adore!!

Now, back to my original situation... I want a bigger stone and I know it makes perfect sense to wait and save enough funds since I will have to start from scratch for me to do so. As some of you may know, I don’t want to upgrade with my previous ER jeweler. I want to work with a preferred PS vendor.

With ALL that being said, I am back to wanting a 3 stone ring with my current stone. I know I should wait but we have some home improvement projects coming up that are costly and we don’t like to borrow for that. We prefer to use our savings. So with that, I could get a 3 stone ring that could satisfy me for some time...I hope. We are excited about the home projects and that takes precedence. BUT I can still purchase small side stones and have David Klass do a 3 stone ring for me. I am so excited to work with him! So far he seems really great.

These are the stones he sent. Can I do better? No certs? One does have EGL.

They are Ks like my ER but my ER does have strong blue fluorescence.

“They weight 0.95ct together. They are K color VS2 clarity. One of them has an EGL cert. The spread is 4.92mm for one and 4.98 for the other. They cost $1250.”

I will share a video too. Should I get them or look for my own pair with your help?

Thank you for your assistance as always!

Attachments

• 2DB4AE51-B5A9-47B7-8513-7834CEE64482.jpeg
    2DB4AE51-B5A9-47B7-8513-7834CEE64482.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
The quality of your sidestones needs to match the quality of the main diamond. I’d just try the stones in different lighting next to your original diamond to see if they work well together.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One looks lower color than the other, too. I'd only consider GIA excellent cut stones. No point in wasting any money on poor quality stones.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with matching the diamond quality of your center diamond. I think if you get well cut diamonds for the sides I think they would take away from your center diamond. You already have studs so it’s not like you can upgrade the ACAs later into studs when you get your upgraded ering diamond. You can then sell the three stone later or keep it for a right hand ring. I would make sure the side diamonds match in color and quality.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with matching the diamond quality of your center diamond. I think if you get well cut diamonds for the sides I think they would take away from your center diamond. You already have studs so it’s not like you can upgrade the ACAs later into studs when you get your upgraded ering diamond. You can then sell the three stone later or keep it for a right hand ring. I would make sure the side diamonds match in color and quality.

Thanks! I have in other threads matched my center diamond to my WF studs and they pair very nicely together even tho my studs are ACA. My ER is triple X and very well cut just not ideal.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
One looks lower color than the other, too. I'd only consider GIA excellent cut stones. No point in wasting any money on poor quality stones.

I love your eagle eyes! Thanks! I had to look at the diamonds again to see -and you are right. Plus my ER has SBF so the tint is not as easily visible in most lighting. I think with the ones posted above the warmth is greater than my center stone.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I have in other threads matched my center diamond to my WF studs and they pair very nicely together even tho my studs are ACA. My ER is triple X and very well cut just not ideal.

@diamondsR4eVR If it matches the studs then I would definitely get the nicest diamonds for the sides!
I had a reverse dilemma. I was thinking if making my 2.03 into a three stone. I already had my first pair of studs but they were SI2s. I wouldn’t put them together with Libby who is a vs1. They didn’t go. Your diamond sounds like Libby. She deserves the best!

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one is bad, and the other one is possible. Both are deep, especially the first one.

Try to get GIA excellent within these parameters:

table: 55-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

I'd want diameters to be close and table not too far apart. They don't have to be exactly the same, but it helps to get two stones that are cut similarly when it is a pair.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you could do 4.5mm stones, Whiteflash really isn't too high in these small stones:

I am looking at BN now for a pair for you. You have to look at stones individually and not use their pair search.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, after looking at about all the .40-.42 J's that scored Ex on the HCA, the only two that look promising don't have pictures, so unless they can provide pictures, I'd say BN is a dead end.

Okay, more options at James Allen with the videos. These scored Ex on the HCA, but I cannot see the lab reports. They look good, though, and they cost less than BN. Both have faint fluorescence.

Last edited:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Well, after looking at about all the .40-.42 J's that scored Ex on the HCA, the only two that look promising don't have pictures, so unless they can provide pictures, I'd say BN is a dead end.

Okay, more options at James Allen with the videos. These scored Ex on the HCA, but I cannot see the lab reports. They look good, though, and they cost less than BN. Both have faint fluorescence.

I wondered if BN would be a bust too. Great find with the James Allen diamonds! Ty! Ty! Ty! Nice price points too. If they are still available tmrw can I ask them for the reports? I never worked with JA before.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wondered if BN would be a bust too. Great find with the James Allen diamonds! Ty! Ty! Ty! Nice price points too. If they are still available tmrw can I ask them for the reports? I never worked with JA before.

I think you can call now. It says they have 24/7 service. I would hope you might be able to put the stones on hold while they are getting you the reports, but I am not positive. I think they'll be fine, though. The images look good and we know the HCA is excellent. I'd be more concerned if we were looking at a large stone, but I think these will be fine (especially compared to everything else!).

osher

Rough_Rock

Both of these look like they have a brown hue to me. They match each other but is the center stone also a brown J?
EDIT: SKU 8907478 looks more brown actually. Compare them side by side here

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All!
Can I get an opinion on these side stones to match my center stone? Also, should I see stones first before I send my ER off to change the setting? Yes, right?
Let me know your thoughts:

Ps the center stone is NOT mine. I also have a video.

4716CC70-0369-4C9C-A81A-D84C2E88D8B6.jpeg

Attachments

• 448CCE84-8DE6-41E0-B32D-D29A8C6F6920.jpeg
    448CCE84-8DE6-41E0-B32D-D29A8C6F6920.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 045B1D86-47C0-4D90-836B-27F74E26B34E.jpeg
    045B1D86-47C0-4D90-836B-27F74E26B34E.jpeg
    597.8 KB · Views: 8
  • A8EAF57D-D428-4A37-9D20-BD37FE35BB5B.jpeg
    A8EAF57D-D428-4A37-9D20-BD37FE35BB5B.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 8
  • E409856A-D5EC-4890-B9B7-A905B2B576B5.jpeg
    E409856A-D5EC-4890-B9B7-A905B2B576B5.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 9

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I can share photos of my center stone if that helps. Along with stats.

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
What size is your centre stone?
Thanks

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
My center stone is 1.02. So I think the .40 would balance nicely. I’m just wondering if these are it or should I keep looking. Or should I have them send me the stones to take a closer look ...so many decisions I just want it to be the right choice.

They look/seem really nice but I’m not an expert.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In larger stones, these would not be a great match due to one having 75 lower girdle facets and the other 80, in my opinion. But in stones this small, it won't matter. I personally would always need to see SI clarity stones in person. But again, in stones this small, they are likely fine if the seller says they are totally eyeclean.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
In larger stones, these would not be a great match due to one having 75 lower girdle facets and the other 80, in my opinion. But in stones this small, it won't matter. I personally would always need to see SI clarity stones in person. But again, in stones this small, they are likely fine if the seller says they are totally eyeclean.

Thank you so much for answering! My center stone is no where near ideal, but I did ask to be safe if side stones are eye clean. Waiting on an answer. Also, do you suggest I see them in person first before I send off my ER?
And finally, will adding 2 more additional stones make the 3 stone ring more fiery? I want fiery side stones and not white light if that makes sense.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a picture I just took of my center stone along with my WF ACAs. My center is not ideal at all but holds herself well against my mighty little studs. I have to give all three pieces a nice clean. Yikes! But you get the idea! B557A7C6-71EF-423D-B574-66D09C419B0E.jpeg

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I did purchase the stones above. We will see if I like them as side stones. I can send back for a full refund if I don’t.

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
Here’s a picture I just took of my center stone along with my WF ACAs. My center is not ideal at all but holds herself well against my mighty little studs. I have to give all three pieces a nice clean. Yikes! But you get the idea! B557A7C6-71EF-423D-B574-66D09C419B0E.jpeg

Are the ACA meeles really good performing?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Are the ACA meeles really good performing?

Hi @TripEx! My studs are slightly larger than a melee. They are close to .50 each. A little under a carat total weight. I love my studs! They are small yet mighty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results