shape
carat
color
clarity

Small chip on tourmaline- What to do?

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
I had a gorgeous ring made from a jeweler in Finland when we were there last summer. It is approximately 3.5 carat pink tourmaline in a palladium setting. I noticed yesterday that I have two very small chips off to the side of the table of the gem. I must have hit it on something that the two points on the facet got chipped. It is not noticeable unless you look super, super close, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the rest of the gem. Is it okay to keep wearing? I don't want to have it cut down to a smaller gem as the setting I have won't work if it is any smaller than what I have now... Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It's one of the hazards of wearing gemstones I'm afraid. I've got a couple of teeny ones on my tsavorite.

You can have the stone repolished at some point and depending on how big they are, you shouldn't lose much in weight - certainly shouldn't involve a recut. My tsav was repolished a few years ago because of some chips and I lost less than 1pt in weight and it looked as good as new.

I can't see whay you shouldn't safely wear your ring.

Hope that helps - and sorry about the chips, they do happen...

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If they're small and hard to notice, I wouldn't worry too much. Recutting and/or repolishing might take them out but like Pandora says, it'll happen again. If the stone was one with a distinct cleavage plane then that would be another matter but tourms don't have that problem.

Pete

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I know how you feel. My andalusite has small chips from wearing it and at first I was very upset. For now I want to leave it alone because as ruffysdad says it will happen again. I think eventually when I chip it more I will get it polished and start the process all over again. lol The one thing I do not know is if I will have to get the stone removed to repolish it. That makes me worry as I have had stones chipped by jewelers when setting them. I think if you feel the beauty of the stone is not affected then keep wearing it.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Lisa, it would have to come out for a repolish job but you can use that removal as a possible opportunity to modify the setting so it will protect the stone better.

Pete

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I was most afraid of doing more damage to the stone by not getting the chips fixed at this point. I really do love this ring and stone, so, I think I will wait to have it fixed for at least awhile...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is unlikely to fall apart or anything like that. Since it is barely noticeable and likely to pick up more wear and tear naturally, I'd leave it until it starts to show more obvious wearing down.

Mednikow_Atlanta

Rough_Rock
Trade
Remember that you take risks anytime you remove and remount a stone (both to the stone and mounting), not to mention the risks of placing the stone against a polishing wheel, or the risks and expense of shipping to and from a reputable stone cutter.

IMHO you have added your own "character" to the stone by leaving behins these gentle wear marks showing that you wear it and enjoy it proudly.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
What would be considered a protective setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results