shape
carat
color
clarity

Small chip on girdle...it happened after I picked it up

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
84755A75-9CED-4D97-AA80-766399708136.jpeg Hi all..I love reading everyone’s posts..but didn’t have a problem until I found a chip on my newly set diamond. I had it for around fifteen years..It was set in another setting five years ago into a six prong setting. That jeweler damaged my diamond wedding band by making the setting too small to hold my stones. They all crushed and broke because they were jammed together for five years. I didn’t have a loupe so didn’t notice until the stones started taking on a gray appearance. I’ve since replaced that band..but always worried that they messed up my engagement ring stone. It was in six prong setting..I recently had a new setting made up for my diamond. I picked it up two weeks ago..It was reappraised and insured again..I didn’t notice until a few days ago that it has a very tiny chip on the girdle. There’s no way to know if the new setter did it or the chip was under one of the six prongs and was damaged by the setter that damaged my wedding band. The appraiser either didn’t notice it or it happened after I picked it up. I can’t prove it..so I’m just trying to figure out what to do..It’s a tiny chip..not seen by the naked eye. I sent a message to Leslie who said she will show it Brian Gavin. The diamond is a AGS 2.03 VS1 G color ideal cut, color and polish..faceted girdle. Should I leave it as is or should I have it polished out? I live in PA so would have to send it to them. It’s scary to send it through the mail..and I would have to have it re graded which is a pain. I need opinions..please..Thank you!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breathe.

Then wait to see what Lesley says about what options you might even have. Perhaps they can polish it out, but is that at their recut cost ($~350/ct). Would you go under 2 ct with the polish, which, if so, dramatically reduces the per-carat price. Maybe they could rotate the stone to under/near a prong.

And ... you should get a new jeweler :oops:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ykes! Id wait to see what they say. Pretty diamond though!!!! I second getting a new jeweler !

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. call the appraiser and ask if they have any private comments on your appraisal - some don't mention a chip but record it on their files.
2. It will drop under 2ct if polished out - not a good move
3. you should have the basis of an insurance claim
4. if you keep the stone have it rotated anti clockwise to about the right hand side of your black circle. This means it is hard up against the prong and therefore unlikely to be hit on objects further chipping or breaking the stone. Do not have it put under the prong (as many will advise) as the pressure and constant banging on the prong can cause big damage (42 years experience).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for replying..This is the second jeweler that may have chipped the stone. I went to a very reputable, high end place to have a custom setting setting made. It may have been the first jeweler that chipped the stone and placed the chip under the prong to hide the fact that he chipped it. The new setter may not have nentioned it for whatever reason.,I really have no way of knowing. Garry, I'm even afraid now to have anyone rotate it..I was very nervous getting the new setting..went to a high end jeweler in a high end area to protect it and it still came out chipped. It’s very small and you can’t see it with your naked eyes..I know it’s there and I can feel the little catch with my finger nail. I just spoke to the insurance company after the appraisal was faxed to make sure they got it..before I knew it was chipped asking questions about what was covered and then I found this...I hate chips in anything..even dishes so it’s a mind clean thing. The stone is very pretty and I always loved it. My husband is also upset and didn’t understand why I wanted a new setting so he partly blames me.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean - I just saw this. What ended up happening with your diamond?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean - I just saw this. What ended up happening with your diamond?
It turned out to be a minuscule indented natural that I never knew I had. I had my diamond reset for the second time and the jeweler left it exposed when he set the diamond in the new setting. I was frantic and didn’t know what to do! I took it to a GIA gemologist who said it was a natural and was even listed on my AGS report but I was clueless then. It had always been hidden under a prong. I had my jeweler turn it back under a prong and all’s well again..:P2

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out to be a minuscule indented natural that I never knew I had. I had my diamond reset for the second time and the jeweler left it exposed when he set the diamond in the new setting. I was frantic and didn’t know what to do! I took it to a GIA gemologist who said it was a natural and was even listed on my AGS report but I was clueless then. It had always been hidden under a prong. I had my jeweler turn it back under a prong and all’s well again..:P2

Yay! I'm so glad for you that this had a happy ending!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results