shape
carat
color
clarity

Small and delightful chrysoberyl heart

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last week Yvonne Raley of Cecile Raley Designs had a 30% off sale and this little chrysoberyl heart just captivated me. I bought it so fast the sale price has not even been updated yet! A quick message to Yvonne and I got the price adjusted. Yvonne was very easy to communicate with and I will definitely be back for more :cool2:

Now let me be clear that I am very much NOT a heart person — and apparently neither is Yvonne! Her description of this gem basically said, hey I’m not a heart person but apparently they are popular now so I guess here you go! :lol: I loved it even more for the subtle snark. So this gem won over not one, but two heart-haters. I’m just embracing the cute. Heck, I may even buy more!

This little drop of sunshine is a .81ct chrysoberyl, measuring about 5.5mm square. She’s a glowy little thing with a lovely crisp yellow Color and a hint of lime in some lighting. I’ve never seen a chrysoberyl before but I am officially a huge fan! Love the color, the sparkle, and the shininess of the gem material itself (maybe this is what you all call lustre? I’m still learning).

7B0E37BC-3F60-4061-BEEE-6324FA93F6D7.jpeg

BD41AD74-213E-4A98-8187-AB80B9AA328C.jpeg

604BAB06-081A-4C13-A0B6-2B82BFEF0CC7.jpeg

F788EC2E-0554-4C14-88C9-E2A706C7FF83.jpeg

Obligatory flower shot =)2
70402978-33BD-46DE-9D9C-60E0E324E70D.jpeg

0620E30B-4CF7-4F3F-B7FB-794D93843EA9.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So my thought when I bought her was that I could make a moi et toi style ring. This lovely is too small for me to wear on its own, but I quite like the idea of a heart nuzzled up to another gem.

Here she is with a 6mm round cz.

0F21C13B-D543-4A41-A40F-60B58B7F8F9E.jpeg

Here is a 7mm cz.
88691937-74BA-42D7-9812-DF8CA5BB621E.jpeg

Alongside an 8mm round.
E17089A0-C0D1-4DD7-939F-D0CB5C809914.jpeg

And with an 8mm cushion cz

40EE1D9D-0C8F-4E90-88A0-160B692AA66B.jpeg

8239665D-0B51-4B8F-8CDE-A5CC30646CCB.jpeg

I also wondered if maybe I could set her with the sapphire from my original engagement ring. The sapphire is not very high quality, and I think it’s a little too dull to set with the chrysoberyl, which is a very bright and lively stone. But I do really enjoy the yellow and blue color combination! I also really like the mix of a step cut with a brilliant cut.

1778390A-1D48-458E-9F6D-237176E882DD.jpeg

C50FC2C6-BEF6-4923-A357-9D6E2B2CAEE4.jpeg

And just for fun, a few more pictures showing her personality.

25D94D73-4DF7-47FC-94B5-51E48C4B2EED.jpeg

2B30EFFD-4FCE-4771-9A20-A9974B829E52.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! I especially like your hand shot. You can see how much sparkle & life the stone has. :kiss2: I think it would make a lovely moi et toi.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I actually love the sapphire combo! Dark and light, different cuts, just great. It would be amazing in a toi et moi with black gold!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love:SO cute! I love it with the 7mm round.
I don't even care for hearts, and I want one in CS.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Lovely little heart. For a toi et moi, my vote is either setting it with the sapphire, the 6mm round or the 7 mm round.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With any diamond it will be a sparkly sunny combo. For me the inky sapphire doesn't work, too different, too dark, nothing matches, not the sparkle, shape or colour.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a sweet little bundle of joy! Although I totally agree with you on the blue/yellow combo, I'm not sure (maybe it's just the pictures) that it goes well with the sapphire. I like how it sits next to a smaller stone (so 6mm), but I also love it next to a cushion. A more rectangular shape seems to fit it better. Whatever you decide to do with it, I'm sure it will look lovely and I can't wait to see it.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely stone! I love chrysoberyl and this one is so sparkly---it will be great to see what you do with her. Congrats!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, she's such a chubby little beauty! I used to hate hearts until I got a yellow diamond one and now I have to say that they have really grown on me. Your stone is so lively and I really like the color. Congrats!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing I love more than a heart!!!! Gorgeous stone and beautifully cut!

It’s beautiful! I especially like your hand shot. You can see how much sparkle & life the stone has. :kiss2: I think it would make a lovely moi et toi.

What a lovely stone! I love chrysoberyl and this one is so sparkly---it will be great to see what you do with her. Congrats!

Oh, she's such a chubby little beauty! I used to hate hearts until I got a yellow diamond one and now I have to say that they have really grown on me. Your stone is so lively and I really like the color. Congrats!

I'm so happy to see this little gal get so much love :kiss2: I am totally a chrysoberyl fan now and I am going to add a larger one to my wish list, right at the top. Right now this gem is still affordable even in larger sizes but I bet that will change with spinel starting to get so pricey. Sapphire and ruby are basically out of reach except for real special occasion stones these days.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually love the sapphire combo! Dark and light, different cuts, just great. It would be amazing in a toi et moi with black gold!

With any diamond it will be a sparkly sunny combo. For me the inky sapphire doesn't work, too different, too dark, nothing matches, not the sparkle, shape or colour.

I learned on PS the other day that this color sapphire is called "twilight" and it seems there are many fans out there! (It does look inky in one of the photos I posted but that is not really true to life). For me, I really like bright and sparkle in my gems, so even though I feel a lot of sentimental value in this sapphire, I think it will most likely just live in a gem jar unless I can think of the right project for it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
:love:SO cute! I love it with the 7mm round.
I don't even care for hearts, and I want one in CS.

Lovely little heart. For a toi et moi, my vote is either setting it with the sapphire, the 6mm round or the 7 mm round.

My eye is also drawn most to the 7mm size, maybe not in a round, but that proportion looks good to me.

This is such a sweet little bundle of joy! Although I totally agree with you on the blue/yellow combo, I'm not sure (maybe it's just the pictures) that it goes well with the sapphire. I like how it sits next to a smaller stone (so 6mm), but I also love it next to a cushion. A more rectangular shape seems to fit it better. Whatever you decide to do with it, I'm sure it will look lovely and I can't wait to see it.

I agree that blue looks very nice with the yellow. I've also thought about purple or green. I think I will wait and window shop and I think something will jump out at me the same way this stone jumped out at me.

I'm also thinking about pairing the heart with another chrysoberyl, maybe a green one (not vanadium of course because $$). I'm just loving this gem so much!

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Love the sparkle of the little heart! I see it with a smaller diamond, or a green cushion, or even another heart that's a little bigger than this one, set with them tilting away from each other with their points closer -- hope I'm successful in describing what I'm imagining -- but heart shapes are hard to match. Or if you are also considering three stones, with a pair of small jedi/hot pink spinels.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the sparkle of the little heart! I see it with a smaller diamond, or a green cushion, or even another heart that's a little bigger than this one, set with them tilting away from each other with their points closer -- hope I'm successful in describing what I'm imagining -- but heart shapes are hard to match. Or if you are also considering three stones, with a pair of small jedi/hot pink spinels.

I love all of these suggestions and I can picture them perfectly from your description. I have imagined each of those possibilities except the three stone - would you envision rounds for the sides in that layout? I admire your collection so much and you have set a few smaller gems of this size in really creative and stylish ways so I appreciate your insight!!

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I love all of these suggestions and I can picture them perfectly from your description. I have imagined each of those possibilities except the three stone - would you envision rounds for the sides in that layout? I admire your collection so much and you have set a few smaller gems of this size in really creative and stylish ways so I appreciate your insight!!

I imagine small round sides for the three stone, so jedi is probably difficult as they are mostly cushion. Pink spinel/sapphire may be easier to get. Green (tsav) could also work well. Might help to do a draw/mash up as things may look different in your head and as a visual.
Really happy that you liked my collection!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I imagine small round sides for the three stone, so jedi is probably difficult as they are mostly cushion. Pink spinel/sapphire may be easier to get. Green (tsav) could also work well. Might help to do a draw/mash up as things may look different in your head and as a visual.
Really happy that you liked my collection!

Yes I absolutely think some fun photoshop is in order. This project is on hold for a while as I am focusing on another project for now. But I will definitely be back to play when the time comes! I love this little nugget.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful gem! I didn’t know Chrysoberyl had such sparkle!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful gem! I didn’t know Chrysoberyl had such sparkle!

I can’t speak to all cut styles, but this one is very sparkly! And glowy in low light. I keep the gem in a little jar in the drawer under my computer monitor in my office and whenever I open the drawer I’m like “wow!” This gem is very small for me, both by preference and because I have a large finger size, but I think if I can figure out the right pairing for it then it will make a lovely, impactful ring.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a video showing how pretty the color is in indirect lighting.

As you can see it’s very small on my hand. I’ve found a couple possible settings on Stuller that I like, similar to what @Timor suggested. My gem is about 5.8mm.
926C5FF5-B852-4EC3-A3CE-E8D9C984D4DE.jpeg
I like this two stone because it feels a little modern. I think it would look better if one heart was larger than the other to add a little visual interest. I might prefer a more streamlined look though as I think I would wear this on my pointer along with other rings.

EAF54558-2BDF-4130-A2C8-A11A350DA0A0.jpeg
DDB4FB8C-450D-4019-9CDA-DCD7C856EBA7.jpeg
I like this three stone too. It has 4mm sides. Good finger coverage, but my ering is a three stone already.

Any thoughts?

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Here is a video showing how pretty the color is in indirect lighting.

As you can see it’s very small on my hand. I’ve found a couple possible settings on Stuller that I like, similar to what @Timor suggested. My gem is about 5.8mm.
926C5FF5-B852-4EC3-A3CE-E8D9C984D4DE.jpeg
I like this two stone because it feels a little modern. I think it would look better if one heart was larger than the other to add a little visual interest. I might prefer a more streamlined look though as I think I would wear this on my pointer along with other rings.

EAF54558-2BDF-4130-A2C8-A11A350DA0A0.jpeg
DDB4FB8C-450D-4019-9CDA-DCD7C856EBA7.jpeg
I like this three stone too. It has 4mm sides. Good finger coverage, but my ering is a three stone already.

Any thoughts?

Excited that this project is moving forward. I cannot open the video but I'm sure the sparkle is crazy.
Out of the two inspo pics you posted I lean towards the three stone. The toi et moi I think would indeed look better if there's some difference in stone size. Also here's another inspo with a similar but cleaner (I think) design.
63EA65C4-9DEE-4A7E-B13D-61598D2E2862.jpeg

Given the stone has such a cheerful color and sparkle, I think you can also consider other styles that are more "fun", here's a few, just substitute one of the hearts in these designs with the stone.
10ED4220-AEE8-4CE4-B8DB-ACFE2ECCA6BE.jpeg
2D4FCC08-FA1C-4107-9628-F111002BD354.jpeg
89C9C947-577F-469A-B203-B85EFF82D082.jpeg
FA26BFC5-4B0D-4209-90E8-F85F1D0520C3.jpeg
92E546E6-D4C5-4AD3-A210-D147677FF3B3.jpeg

Whatever you do with it I’m sure it will be beautiful, just go with your heart (hehe).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie Trying not to threadjack but I would love to know if there's any progress on your project with this delightful little heart!
@Timor i I’d reply here rather than interrupt the other thread!

No progress other than my continued imaginings. I am feeling a little torn about investing in a setting for such a tiny stone. But maybe a more subtle ring would be a nice pairing sometimes with my more flashy rings. I’m wondering about maybe setting it in silver, or perhaps a yellow gold head and silver band, to keep the cost down.

I like this mounting from Stuller.

IMG_1565.png

Timor

Shiny_Rock
@Timor i I’d reply here rather than interrupt the other thread!

No progress other than my continued imaginings. I am feeling a little torn about investing in a setting for such a tiny stone. But maybe a more subtle ring would be a nice pairing sometimes with my more flashy rings. I’m wondering about maybe setting it in silver, or perhaps a yellow gold head and silver band, to keep the cost down.

I like this mounting from Stuller.

IMG_1565.png

Thanks for satisfying my curiousity:D I actually think smaller stones can be more fun to play with as there's a lot of flexibility in style! Not sure how difficult it is to mount/unmount in silver but I imagine it would be easier than gold? Could be a good idea to try out styles.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think it would also be cute as half of a pair of mis-matched stud earrings, if you like them.

That would fit your wish of a lower setting cost and would work well with such a small stone imo. (Though of course you wouldn't be able to see it while wearing it).

The other earring could be a similar-sized chrysoberyl or a pale sparkly stone in a different color, a real or simulant diamond, another small stone in a heart-shape, a gold heart, etc. Or just get the one earring made and wear it with whatever.

Or, assuming you don't have/want a second piercing, you could also have it made into an earring cuff, though I had one of those and couldn't seem to keep it on comfortably.

Just a few random thoughts... :)

I try to avoid buying the tiny cuties myself because then I have a hard time figuring out what to do with them or it leads me into a project that costs way more than I had in mind. But sometimes they are just irresistible!

I had my eye on this one, in fact, but I don't usually wear hearts and it's a bit pricey for me right now anyway:

5.99 carat chrysoberyl heart

1701805152206.png

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@seaurchin those are all very interesting possibilities! I don't really wear earrings much but I do plan to change that as I expand my jewelry wardrobe in the coming years. My earring quest is impeded by my intolerance of anything but precious metals in my piercings. When I was a wild child and pierced by lip I had to take it out because it just wouldn't heal properly. But I can wear gold! Go figure.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would also be cute as half of a pair of mis-matched stud earrings, if you like them.

That would fit your wish of a lower setting cost and would work well with such a small stone imo. (Though of course you wouldn't be able to see it while wearing it).

The other earring could be a similar-sized chrysoberyl or a pale sparkly stone in a different color, a real or simulant diamond, another small stone in a heart-shape, a gold heart, etc. Or just get the one earring made and wear it with whatever.

Or, assuming you don't have/want a second piercing, you could also have it made into an earring cuff, though I had one of those and couldn't seem to keep it on comfortably.

Just a few random thoughts... :)

I try to avoid buying the tiny cuties myself because then I have a hard time figuring out what to do with them or it leads me into a project that costs way more than I had in mind. But sometimes they are just irresistible!

I had my eye on this one, in fact, but I don't usually wear hearts and it's a bit pricey for me right now anyway:

5.99 carat chrysoberyl heart

1701805152206.png

I just now saw this. I purchased and returned this stone awhile ago. The color was fabulous but it was terribly cut and windowed and so shallow that I didn’t think it would be a good candidate for a recut.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 6mm cz. I also love the cushion but I think a smaller cushion would be better. I like the stones to be close in size for a moi et toi.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results