shape
carat
color
clarity

Slow Roasted Engagement Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I was a little unsure about the cook time listed on the Glamour article, so, I decided to *alter* it a bit. I cooked a 5lb-er for about 3.5-4 hours at 275. I made a mixture of garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, butter, olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper...I rubbed the bird with this mix and also rubbed it under the skin. In addition to the lemons, I also stuffed the bird with rosemary and a full bunch of garlic cut in half lengh-wise. Basted after the first 2 hrs, every 1/2 hr.

It came out YUMMO!!! It was falling off the bone like rotisserie. My BF said it was my best ever. He was so happy...licking the meat off the bones. Went back for seconds, thirds.
18.gif

Then, he surprised me and started cleaning! Didn''t another PSer get the same result recently?? Cleared the dishes, cleaned them...I came to start putting away the leftovers and he was helping me. Ha ha!
31.gif

So...my question is...did I *alter* the recipe too much to be E-Chicken?? Have any of you altered the receipe??

Anyway, hopefully the "energy" of the chicken will get me closer to my ring!!
30.gif

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm...that sounds YUMMY
18.gif
.....i dont know if rosemary will kill the mojo though?
33.gif
I made my SO engagement chicken about 3 weeks ago, but i followed it to a T! I wanted to make sure it worked....i dont know if it worked, but i do know SO has been wanting to spend a lot more time with me, and has been telling his friends that he feels lucky he has me, and that im a "good catch" so maybe its the chicken
27.gif
.....haha, if it doesnt work within the 3 months, maybe ill make it again, but ill use your recipe...good luck with the chicken!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 12:34:03 PM
Author:Rock_of_Love
I was a little unsure about the cook time listed on the Glamour article, so, I decided to *alter* it a bit. I cooked a 5lb-er for about 3.5-4 hours at 275. I made a mixture of garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, butter, olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper...I rubbed the bird with this mix and also rubbed it under the skin. In addition to the lemons, I also stuffed the bird with rosemary and a full bunch of garlic cut in half lengh-wise. Basted after the first 2 hrs, every 1/2 hr.

It came out YUMMO!!! It was falling off the bone like rotisserie. My BF said it was my best ever. He was so happy...licking the meat off the bones. Went back for seconds, thirds.
18.gif

Then, he surprised me and started cleaning! Didn''t another PSer get the same result recently?? Cleared the dishes, cleaned them...I came to start putting away the leftovers and he was helping me. Ha ha!
31.gif

So...my question is...did I *alter* the recipe too much to be E-Chicken?? Have any of you altered the receipe??

Anyway, hopefully the ''energy'' of the chicken will get me closer to my ring!!
30.gif
I made Rachel Ray''s engagement pasta recipe, can''t remember if I made the e-chicken or not, but your post is making me seriously drool! I think I''ll make this for SO next time I see him. Or maybe it will be me making it for me, and sharing a little with him.... Mmmmmmm.....

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm...sharing is caring

CheshireSmile

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:15:09 PM
Author: trillionaire

18.gif

31.gif

30.gif

I made Rachel Ray''s engagement pasta recipe, can''t remember if I made the e-chicken or not, but your post is making me seriously drool! I think I''ll make this for SO next time I see him. Or maybe it will be me making it for me, and sharing a little with him.... Mmmmmmm.....

What is engagement pasta? Being the carb-fiend I am, please share!
9.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:46:59 PM
Author: CheshireSmile

18.gif

31.gif

30.gif

9.gif
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/you-wont-be-single-for-long-vodka-cream-pasta-recipe/index.html

I only used one shallot, and I thought it tasted best with a lotta basil! Mmm....

however, make it just for fun, because there are plenty or great vadka sauces at the grocery store, like Classico''s!
18.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
E-chicken or not, this sounds delicious!

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
yea, you just seriously made me hungry... maybe i''ll have to try this for dinner tonight.

CheshireSmile

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:19:18 PM
Date: 4/13/2009 2:46:59 PM

Author: CheshireSmile

18.gif

31.gif

30.gif

9.gif

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/you-wont-be-single-for-long-vodka-cream-pasta-recipe/index.html

I only used one shallot, and I thought it tasted best with a lotta basil! Mmm....

however, make it just for fun, because there are plenty or great vadka sauces at the grocery store, like Classico''s!
18.gif

That sounds so yummy! I eat so much pasta, and always love a new recipe, thanks!

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
Yum, yum, yum!
I am a TERRIBLE cook (well, not really... I've just never tried to cook anything, being in college and all.) But that sounds so good. I've never tried e-chicken, but was planning on cooking it for FF for his birthday on the 25th. Maybe I'll combine slow roasted e-chicken with e-pasta, making a small batch of pasta as a side dish? Would that go well together?
FF knows I'm cooking him dinner, and I told him the recipes. He just doesn't know that they're charmed or what they're called. He wants them both. Any opinions? Maybe it will be doubly effective :D

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:49:22 PM
Author: adhesive
Yum, yum, yum!
I am a TERRIBLE cook (well, not really... I''ve just never tried to cook anything, being in college and all.) But that sounds so good. I''ve never tried e-chicken, but was planning on cooking it for FF for his birthday on the 25th. Maybe I''ll combine slow roasted e-chicken with e-pasta, making a small batch of pasta as a side dish? Would that go well together?
FF knows I''m cooking him dinner, and I told him the recipes. He just doesn''t know that they''re charmed or what they''re called. He wants them both. Any opinions? Maybe it will be doubly effective :D
Adhesive, I think you should start with something easy if you don''t cook regularly. I didn''t start cooking until I was about 29 (2 years ago), and I think when you are a newbie, it''s good to start with the safe and easy dishes. I have never roasted a chicken (and never will since i don''t eat it), but It sounds tough!
maybe you can make some really moist baked chicken, easy but gourmet pasta (like the ones rachel ray makes) and some roasted vegetables?

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
adhesive...You shoud just go for it!! Honestly, roast chicken is not hard IMO. Just buy a 4-5lb-er, season, stick in oven...I did 275 for 3.5-4hrs. SUPER EASY! If you are afraid you''ll screw it up, stick a thermometer in the thickest part of the breast at about 3.5 hr mark...it should read 165/170, and you''re done!!

Here''s a dish I make alot from Rachel Ray...similar to flavor of above, using individual chicken breasts. We could call it "Deconstructed E-Chicken":
RR Garlic Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon
Sometimes I use a package of thighs and breasts (with skins and bones b/c more flavor!). Then, throw some carrots and potatoes in the dish to roast with it, and you''ve got yourself a one pot meal!!!
18.gif
18.gif

What''s for dinner tonight???
1.gif

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 7:28:59 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love
adhesive...You shoud just go for it!! Honestly, roast chicken is not hard IMO. Just buy a 4-5lb-er, season, stick in oven...I did 275 for 3.5-4hrs. SUPER EASY! If you are afraid you''ll screw it up, stick a thermometer in the thickest part of the breast at about 3.5 hr mark...it should read 165/170, and you''re done!!

Here''s a dish I make alot from Rachel Ray...similar to flavor of above, using individual chicken breasts. We could call it ''Deconstructed E-Chicken'':

RR Garlic Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon

Sometimes I use a package of thighs and breasts (with skins and bones b/c more flavor!). Then, throw some carrots and potatoes in the dish to roast with it, and you''ve got yourself a one pot meal!!!
18.gif
18.gif

What''s for dinner tonight???
1.gif

Oops! I didn''t mean to threadjack, and it appears as if I have. Sorry OP!

I''m pretty sure I''m going to go for it. I have twin brothers who are 10 years older than I am, and they''ve been chefs for about 5 years. One of them lives with us (it''s my mom, brother, sister in law, two nieces, and myself), so I will have plenty of help. Hopefully I''ll get some time to practice beforehand, but the 25th is quickly approaching. I plan on asking big brother his opinion about it before actually doing it, but it seems pretty easy. And if I burn it, I''m pretty sure FF will forgive me.

Oh, and the directions don''t specify that he has to like it for it to work... he just has to eat it
1.gif
(I know the point is to show what a great cook I will be as a wife... but at this point in our relationship, all he wants to know is that I WILL cook, lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results