shape
carat
color
clarity

Sloppy channel work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Okay here we go... I have been wanting to post this for a while...but quite honestly... I have been embarrassed.

Everyone''s rings on here are so pretty, so perfect... that I was ashamed that I did not notice these "flaws" sooner.

I have had my ering for about 3.5 years now. When i first got engaged I was just on cloud nine and did not notice anything besides the fact that it sparkled. We upgraded my diamond 6 months ago and since then I have become addicted to PS. Now that I have a newfound passion for my ring and my diamond I have been looking at it more closely. I bought a loupe and I give myself headaches because I love looking at it so much. But now that the newness has worn off I have noticed some flaws in the side channels that are really starting to bug me. (I went back and looked at old photos, and they have been there all along, I just never noticed before!!)

I posted an image of the close up view of both sides of my ring... both channels have some sloppy metal work in my opinion.... but is it worth it to try and fix it and risk even more sloppy work or risk weakening the channel? (Pay no attention to the normal wear and tear... it is magnified as well!! lol)
#1- the gold appears to be clawing right over the two melees!
#2- big spaces = dirt collectors??
#3- dents/gouges (possibly from tools)
#4- not a perfectly curved end... more pointy than the other side.

My husbands feelings appeared to be hurt and frustrated. Getting a new setting is out of the question as this one is just too sentimental to him, and it really is to me too.

So... what are my options?? Are there ways of getting the edges of the channels smoothed out? Can I insert an extra melee in each channel to fill the gaps between the diamonds?

My mother and my best friend told me to stop obsessing because no one else in the world will ever look that close or notice. But now I am self conscious... What do you guys think??? They said I should appreciate it because that is the band he picked out for me and nothing in life is perfect.

Overall I love my ring... its unique and different... I just want my channels to be bright and sparkly like my center stone... but its not worth hurting hubby''s feelings if you guys think I am being too picky.

messychannelsetting.gif

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
bump??

Even if you are not sure of the technical questions can I get some feedback on what other PS''ers think? Similar to a thread in SMTR... could you live with it?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t be embarrassed about posting your concerns. The problem is that once you know a flaw is there you either can ignore it (if it doesn''t bother you) OR you get more obsessed and find it hard to live with!

The one thing that concerns me is that you say you want your side diamonds to be bright and sparkly like your centre stone? The workmanship that you''ve pointed out (and yes it does look like it could be better when highly magnified) actually won''t affect the brightness or sparkleness of the diamonds so I''m wondering if there''s too big a contrast between your centre and side diamonds in terms of colour/clarity or you''re having difficulty cleaning the channels which might mean it''s become a dirt trap and so is affecting the performance of the diamonds?

There are three ways to look at this:-

1. Have the workmanship tidied up - unfortunately it might be costly because of the style of setting
or
2. As in 1 above and change the side diamonds if needed - even more costly
or
3. Leave it as is, get it professionally cleaned and understand that most people will NEVER get that close to your ring to see what you''re seeing. This might also keep your OH happy.

Sorry - not an easy call.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Loving Diamonds...

I should clarify your question about the "brightness".... you were correct in your guess... sometimes I feel like dirt gets trapped in there so it has the appearance of being darker... and I think its also a comparison I am having between the love I have for my center diamond and wanting it to be surrounded craftsmanship that is perfect!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaaaah I thought so. I don''t know if this would work but a good benchman might be able to rhodium plate the inside of the channel so there''d be more "whiteness" reflecting into the diamonds and less of the yellow. It''s not a perfect solution because you''d have to have it done every so often but it might help.

I''m afraid that channel setting is a notorious dirt trap and even if you closed the gaps more, you''ll still find it gets mucky. Only regular cleaning will sort that out I''m afraid.

Sorry I can''t help more but I hope you get it sorted out so you fall in love again with your ring. To be honest all I see in your ring is that wonderful central diamond and then secondly the sweeping of the shank. I suspect that''s all that others see too.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:02:13 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Aaaaaah I thought so. I don''t know if this would work but a good benchman might be able to rhodium plate the inside of the channel so there''d be more ''whiteness'' reflecting into the diamonds and less of the yellow. It''s not a perfect solution because you''d have to have it done every so often but it might help.

I''m afraid that channel setting is a notorious dirt trap and even if you closed the gaps more, you''ll still find it gets mucky. Only regular cleaning will sort that out I''m afraid.

Sorry I can''t help more but I hope you get it sorted out so you fall in love again with your ring. To be honest all I see in your ring is that wonderful central diamond and then secondly the sweeping of the shank. I suspect that''s all that others see too.

Thank you Loving :) You know, I really needed to hear that.. its one of those days!!!

You got me thinking... maybe the spaces between the channel actually make it easier to clean??... Okay, I''m going to try to stop obsessing, and next time I go to the jeweler I will ask them about possibly smoothing out the edges of the gold channel to get rid of the gouge marks. I think I was just worried that people were not able to appreciate the center diamond because the setting took away from it.

Gosh, you really made me feel better.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 4:12:39 PM
Author: amyjokerette

Date: 4/20/2009 4:02:13 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Aaaaaah I thought so. I don''t know if this would work but a good benchman might be able to rhodium plate the inside of the channel so there''d be more ''whiteness'' reflecting into the diamonds and less of the yellow. It''s not a perfect solution because you''d have to have it done every so often but it might help.

Thank you Loving :) You know, I really needed to hear that.. its one of those days!!!

You got me thinking... maybe the spaces between the channel actually make it easier to clean??... Okay, I''m going to try to stop obsessing, and next time I go to the jeweler I will ask them about possibly smoothing out the edges of the gold channel to get rid of the gouge marks. I think I was just worried that people were not able to appreciate the center diamond because the setting took away from it.

Gosh, you really made me feel better.
Honestly? No way. No way at all. Your central diamond is breathtaking. I think maybe it''s been on your hand too long and you''ve stopped seeing the beauty.

I''m glad you feel better. Just get it cleaned, polished up a bit and keep staring at your gorgeous diamond!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some of what you have shown us under magnification was likely not there when the ring was new. Some of the bumps, dings and possibly the mis-spacing was likely better in the beginning than it is today. Wear and tear create issues which look like workmanship problems when they may be more wear related. Nevertheless, the look of the ring without magnifcatiion might be completely acceptable to most folks and it does seem like you are going to make yourself worried over just about nothing. The diamonds look like they are very secure and with just a little going over by a skilled mechanic some of the problem areas might be improved nicely. It is perfectly okay to want perfection, but with hand crafted items one rarely gets to that level. Even at that level, just daily wear for 6 months makes some of the perfection disappear.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I''d say just let it go and enjoy your ring.
It''s beautiful.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do live with it. My setting is incredibly sloppy. We''ve noticed it the entire time I''ve had the setting, around 3.5 years now. DH and my mother both take the stance that it doesn''t matter because no one else notices it. It hurts DH for me to mention it. The thinks the engagement ring and wedding band are something that you get once, no do-overs, it''s the sentiment behind them that counts. I do my best not to mention it.

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
I''d say stick with what you have as well. Especially if there are sentimental reasons why you want to keep it. I''ve been on PS for only a short while but I think it''s easy to start obsessing and comparing to everyone/every ring on here and feel that yours is not quite as nice. I, for one, can''t get past the center diamond of your ring and wish that I could have afforded something as nice. I would never have noticed the workmanship issues and I think you''ll be the only one that will. As long as you can look at the ring and be happy I think that''s all that matters.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:32:31 PM
Author: Addy
I do live with it. My setting is incredibly sloppy. We''ve noticed it the entire time I''ve had the setting, around 3.5 years now. DH and my mother both take the stance that it doesn''t matter because no one else notices it. It hurts DH for me to mention it. The thinks the engagement ring and wedding band are something that you get once, no do-overs, it''s the sentiment behind them that counts. I do my best not to mention it.

Addy, I am in the same boat. There is nothing really bad, but there are a few little things that bug me about my setting... It really hurts my hubby''s feelings when I bring it up because he feels like he did a bad job. I am also not aloud to change/upgrade/do ANY work to my ring whatsoever because of sentimental reasons. So, I just look at all of the things that I LOVE about my ring and love it anyways!
41.gif

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Addy and Tuckins - You two have the best attitudes and I am feeling better knowing I am not the only one... and you have all reminded me today what''s most important
1.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 3:41:30 PM
bump??

Even if you are not sure of the technical questions can I get some feedback on what other PS'ers think? Similar to a thread in SMTR... could you live with it?
Amy,

I posted DIRECTLY under you in that other PSer's SMTR thread to which you are referring. here's the funny thing...you said you couldn't live with the prongs of the ering but the eternity band unevenness didn't bother you. I thought and said EXACTLY the opposite - i even quoted you and disagreed! The thing is, i wouldn't give a flying fig whether the prongs on that ering head were uneven - i couldn't really see it much at all. The eternity stones, on the other hand, looked glaringly uneven to me and would drive me nuts. Everyone is going to see something different, and for the most part no one but you will notice these really small details.

I happen to think your ring is GORGEOUS and i couldn't have told you what the heck you were referring to with your picture and the red lines/drawings - i had to go back up and reread what you didn't like about the setting after analyzing the pictures. Your setting is really very pretty and your center stone is beautiful!

You are sweet to say everyone's rings are so perfect here....this isn't really the case though is it? Many rings you see on here probably have minor details that bother their owners - I know my ring has some "issues," but you know what? NO ONE is going to see them but me. Now, if i magnified them for you (which i am incapable of BTW), it would be apparent, but no one is going to be that close to my hand EVER. And i for one, am certainly not going to point them out
2.gif
To everyone else's eyes, those magnified flaws you showed us do not exist, i am sure.

it's a beautiful ring!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 6:39:22 PM
Addy and Tuckins - You two have the best attitudes and I am feeling better knowing I am not the only one... and you have all reminded me today what''s most important
1.gif

LOL! No, I don''t. Anyone who reads my posts on here knows how upset I am by my engagement ring. I must seem like the most ungrateful witch on here. I doubt DH would ever choose to read my posts so that allows me to complain on here all I want without mentioning it to him. The last time I mentioned the setting to him flat out was summer 2008 while we were on a run together. It''s been very causually bought up a couple of times since, but more in a factual manner, such as needed it resized.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Amy - For your peace of mind, I think LovingDiamonds has the right approach. Take your ring and pics to a jeweler with a strong reputation for excellent bench work, and tell them exactly what you want them to accomplish. Also, ask for a thorough cleaning and polishing (should go without saying), and expect to pay a bit for the work.

When you get it back, and I''m sure you''ll be delighted with the result, and happy with yourself for having gone to the trouble to have work done!

Good luck, and show us some before and after pics!

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
If i do decide to have it fixed... Any recommendations for jewelers inthe Boston or New Hampshire area? And if so, will this void my warranty at Kays? I wonder if I should have them do it... But then again would they even now if I took it somewhere else to get if fixed? I still take it to Kays for my 6 month prong check.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Gary - get it cleaned. polished and tweaked - I doubt Kays would ever know - you''ll feel better - and is is a lovely ring.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes PS is evil - makes us too smart!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Please don't be embarrassed to show off your ring. It's beautiful! I know how you feel though. Looking at everyone's Leon Mege, Mark Morrell, Tacori, Ritani, etc. rings really makes you look harder at your own doesn't it? My ring is far from perfect too. It's a Stuller setting that I had re-shaped locally, and while it looks great to the casual observer, it's no perfect masterpiece like the designer ones. I find myself squinting at it, finding little differences in symmetry or lumpiness. And it's crazy because no one would EVER see that but me, not even the jeweler who did it.
20.gif
1.gif
I'm sure yours also looks great to everyone else. I can see what you're referring to in the blown up pictures, but I can't see it at all in your avatar, which is still probably much closer than what most people see IRL. Maybe get an ultrasonic and keep it super sparkly clean. That should help the channel set diamonds look brighter, and it will save you from doing something drastic to it and hurting your husband's feelings.

If nothing else, try looking for character instead of perfection. Someday when your kids or grandkids get to wear the ring, it won't be the workmanship that matters to them. It'll be its unique charm, and the fact that it was given and worn in love!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results