shape
carat
color
clarity

Slightly skeptical about this diamond. Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Went to my local jeweler today and he had this diamond for me:

.94carats, F-G color, SI1, EGL certified, Excellent Ideal Cut, Hearts and Arrows.

Floresence: very slight blue

Measurements: 6.31-6.28x3.88
Depth: 61.7%
Crown Height= 15%
Table Width: 57%
Pav. Depth: 45
Cutlet: None
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium

Price was around 5k, however he said he could do the diamond, engagement ring, and matching wedding band for 7K total.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Generally I would be skeptical of most EGL diamonds. For five thousand you could you could get an amazing diamond using a pricescope vendor. I suggest you search some more.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which EGL lab? USA or Israel?

Second... something is funky with those numbers. Can you re-check them? Ask for Crown ANGLE and PAVILLION ANGLE.

Finally, did you see it? Were there any inclusions visible to your naked eye?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 5:29:11 PM
Author: Diamond Explorer
Generally I would be skeptical of most EGL diamonds. For five thousand you could you could get an amazing diamond using a pricescope vendor. I suggest you search some more.
Depending on the lab, whether you are buying online or in person, and the knowledge you have as a consumer, and the knowledge and tools of your jeweler, they can be good bargains. I would buy EGL USA if it were the right diamond at the right price from the right vendor. As with any diamond, I would, of course confirm that all is well (that I recieved what I paid for) with an independant appraiser. But I would do that with a GIA or AGS stone under the right circumstances.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You just have to know that it is probably H color at best. Let''s just say the cut is within ideal territory (which I can''t tell without the angles). I don''t think that is any bargain because you can get GIA stones close to that size with reliable specs for about the same amount:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982389.htm (.90 H VS2, $4875 with wire/pricescope discount)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5234/ (.92 H VS2, $4600)

There are many stones in the .90 range on the search by cut tool: https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I saw some spots on it which he said were water spots. Don''t know if that''s true or not. Not sure if it''s EGL USA or not.

Personally I''m leaning towards the Lazare that so dazzled BF and I. However it''s .75 but I guess quality over size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 6:14:48 PM
Author: Treasure43
I saw some spots on it which he said were water spots. Don't know if that's true or not. Not sure if it's EGL USA or not.

Personally I'm leaning towards the Lazare that so dazzled BF and I. However it's .75 but I guess quality over size.
Most here would try to maximize both (and DS did a great job of picking out a couple of diamonds that demonstrate that). But if I HAD to pick one of the other (without finding the right balance) then quality every time.

I do think getting you an amazing diamond in your price range though at .9 carats.

If eyeclean... here's a winner to add to DS's finds: http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=574

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I''d just really prefer to see the diamond, though I know there are much better deals to be had online.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can see the diamond. All the vendors mentioned have return policies and pictures (GOG even has videos). Go look at a Hearts on Fire diamond in the size, color and clarity you are looking for above. These ideal cut heart and arrows will pretty much look like that (though the inclusions will be different, like birthmarks)...

You have to be comfortable though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 5:01:05 PM
Author:Treasure43
Went to my local jeweler today and he had this diamond for me:

.94carats, F-G color, SI1, EGL certified, Excellent Ideal Cut, Hearts and Arrows.

Floresence: very slight blue

Measurements: 6.31-6.28x3.88
Depth: 61.7%
Crown Height= 15%
Table Width: 57%
Pav. Depth: 45
Cutlet: None
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium

Price was around 5k, however he said he could do the diamond, engagement ring, and matching wedding band for 7K total.
pass !! way too deep.
14.gif

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2009 5:48:48 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 4/1/2009 5:29:11 PM

Author: Diamond Explorer

Depending on the lab, whether you are buying online or in person, and the knowledge you have as a consumer, and the knowledge and tools of your jeweler, they can be good bargains. I would buy EGL USA if it were the right diamond at the right price from the right vendor. As with any diamond, I would, of course confirm that all is well (that I recieved what I paid for) with an independant appraiser. But I would do that with a GIA or AGS stone under the right circumstances.

I did say generally, just because I know many jewelers try to represent EGL and GIA as equivalents, which we know almost always they are not. I know they can be bargains if you get lucky, but most times they are just priced to reflect the quality that they actually are or worse.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 5:46:24 PM
Author: Gypsy
Which EGL lab? USA or Israel?

Second... something is funky with those numbers. Can you re-check them? Ask for Crown ANGLE and PAVILLION ANGLE.

Finally, did you see it? Were there any inclusions visible to your naked eye?
EGL always use percents for crown and pavilion L, this is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results