shape
carat
color
clarity

Slightly Greyish in Mahenges?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What does a stone being "slightly greyish" mean to the performance of a Mahenge?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The grey is a modifier that has to do with the level of saturation. If you look at the color descriptor for this stone, the saturation level is at 3. This is slightly gray. Levels 4-5-6 are Moderately Strong, Strong, and Vivid. Here's a link to a great description of the whole GIA color grading system!

http://gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Color_grading

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! You haven't given up, good. :)

kt

Shiny_Rock
You just crack me up!! I knew you wouldn't give up so easily! :lol:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good god I'm transparent

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
what did I miss - I thought you were keeping the oval... now I'm confused.... :(sad

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty nice. I hope you are lucky this time!
BTW, I am returning one of Tan's stones, very pretty Mahenge but I can not afford spending money because I want to buy a really big and expensive stone. I shall post photos, it is quite a pretty stone.

kt

Shiny_Rock
If u post it and we are interested in it, can I just buy it from you so it saves u the hassle of returning it? Is that allowed here?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will post it on the site which shall not be named - but it hasta be fast because of the whole return policy time period

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When tone increases (gets darker) either together or independently of saturation (vividness of colour), and/or vice versa, the gemstone will pick up a gray modifier. In this case, I don't think tone is the one contributing to the slight grayishness described, but rather the saturation level isn't high.
http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm#color

BTW, you did verify with the vendor that none of the inclusions break the surface, correct?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, That explanation is great! Thanks for posting it. I'm going to save the link.

And I hope Athena doesn't mind, but we found her a more amazing mahenge last night! I hope she decides to share it with us.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I plan to share today - when I can get to work and convert it to PDF. Uppy's been my little Mahenge Angel

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's another one that's coming in my quest

MULTICOLOUR_SN7415ab[1]_Page_1.jpg

MULTICOLOUR_SN7415ab[1]_Page_2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1316087470|3018078 said:
When tone increases (gets darker) either together or independently of saturation (vividness of colour), and/or vice versa, the gemstone will pick up a gray modifier. In this case, I don't think tone is the one contributing to the slight grayishness described, but rather the saturation level isn't high.

BTW, you did verify with the vendor that none of the inclusions break the surface, correct?

To add to Chrono's comments:
In warm stones, like reds, pinks and orange, the slightly greyish is really supposed to be slightly brownish. Slightly greyish is the modifier for more cool stones, like blues, purples, greens.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1316087470|3018078 said:

I didn't verify anything about the inclusions because I'm impulsive and lame, but I have a good jeweler who I can have look at it, and thankfully there's a return policy.

Thank you everyone else for your comments. *fingers crossed* that there's a light at the end of the mahenge tunnel

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha - I knew it! I was going to post that one and the other one (that has some issue with the corner that they're prepared to fix) in this thread. Kept trying to come back to it but visiting in-laws and needy babies kept interfering. lol. So I emailed myself the links to do a bit later, but one came up blank when I clicked on it. Glad it found its way to you anyway. :) It looks promising! Keep us posted.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1316105035|3018257 said:
Here's another one that's coming in my quest
I can't wait to hear the opinions on this one. I think it looks amazing with the color and saturation Athena has been looking for this quest!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You crack me up lady :lol:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1316454580|3020751 said:
*sigh* there's no stopping me. I have this one coming too. Be prepared for a sale explosion on DB soon.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320762465730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1781wt_1134

(does this work? I can't seem to save pictures)

Athena - please will you get this checked out? There are several things about the listing that worry me. At the end of the day, even if the stone isn't a spinel, you've still got the setting so won't have overpaid but it might be worth having a lab report. I can't put my finger on my worries other than to say the photos don't look "right" to me (that's a total gut feeling and not based on anything), the over exaggeration on the inflated value at the end (ridiculous!) and the return wording. I'm sure I'm wrong but I just wanted to mention it - I hope you don't mind?

Edit:
Check out the feedback on Toolhaus http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=bestdealsgoinin336&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

The feedback in response to the negs by wandering monk are interesting. They contradict each other - why would you send one ring to a buyer who hadn't paid for one of the other items????

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you LD. I appreciate the concern a ton. *fingers crossed* especially since there isn't a real return policy.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
athenaworth|1316043190|3017801 said:
What does a stone being "slightly greyish" mean to the performance of a Mahenge?

While I can't really address the performance aspect as that seems to be more related to cutting.

The slightly grayish (brownish) seems to indicate saturation. Which in this instance would be a 2 on a scale from 1 to 6.

1) grayish (brownish)

2) slightly grayish (brownish)

3) very slightly grayish (brownish)

4) moderately strong

5) strong

6) vivid

With warm or cool colored stones the brain perceives less saturated hues as brownish or grayish. This is not considered a modifier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results