shape
carat
color
clarity

Slight movement in prongs

wallyworld

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Wanting to fetch an opinion on an e-ring that I recently purchased from JA. It arrived the other day, setting and the stone look great and it’s exactly what I was after. But…..

I did notice the ever so slightest movement of the stone in the prongs (Platinum pave setting, with a 0.58c centre diamond in 4 prongs). I was giving the ring the 15th inspection of the night, when I noticed if I hold it to my ear and tap the diamond I can hear the slightest movement (like a ting sound).

So I wanted an opinion on a few things –
Should there be absolute zero movement of the diamond?
Would this tiny movement damage the setting or diamond? Or risk it falling out – though as I mentioned it’s a tiny tiny amount of movement.

I have raised it with JA – who said:
“We can certainly have you send it back in to be refurbished. It is honestly likely fine, however if it is bothersome to you which I would completely understand, you can send it back to us at no cost but it would take about 3-4 weeks. It may be more convenient for you to get the prongs tightened locally.”

I would have to pay to ship it back – which may be the cost of having a local jeweller simply tighten the prongs and it would take 4 weeks to get it back.

Would you consider this a serious issue? (Other than being an annoyance on a brand new gosh darn ring)
Or suggest a reputable jeweller in Melbourne city to get their opinion.

Thanks - Wally

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There should be absolutely zero movement of the diamond in the prongs.

The concern here isn't really the diamond: diamonds are hard and metal is soft, and every time the stone turns or twists in the setting it's chewing metal away - and prongs are probably the most delicate part of a ring. Prongseats can't afford to lose metal.

Tightening prongs is an easy fix. A decent bench should be able to take care of it for you without any drama whatsoever, and IMO JA should compensate you for the fix. There's far bigger risk in shipping it overseas than a prong tightening merits, certainly!

Good luck! ::)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Yssie, there should be no movement whatsoever of the diamond AND JA should pay the bill for having it tightened. This is a brand new ring and it should be perfect.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Can you feel the diamond move when you slide your finger over the girdle?

It may not be moving at all - and that ting sound is just a natural phenomenon of a jewellery piece? Can u get the ting sound on any other jewellery piece you got?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's disappointing customer service. They should apologize, cover shipping both ways, fix it within a day of receiving it and get it back to you immediately. I would escalate it to a higher-up.

Edit: if you are overseas, they should offer to pay a jeweler local to you to tighten the prongs.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one positive aspect to this is that it's an opportunity to begin developing a relationship with a good local jeweler or "bench", whom you can visit at least twice a year to have the stone & prongs checked, get the ring professionally cleaned. Wouldn't be worth the hassle to send the ring back to JA for such routine check-ups & cleaning in the future.

I don't know the norm where you live, but I have never been charged for inspecting and cleaning a ring -- and my favorite neighborhood shop charges nothing for tightening a prong.

Good luck on soon receiving peace of mind!

wallyworld

Rough_Rock
I cant feel any movement or see it - its just when i hold it to my ear and tap it i can hear what sounds like movement - A tink or tap sound? It seems would be extremely slight.

I think I will take the advice to get my foot in the door at a local jeweler and get their opinion and quick fix - I cant imagine a quick prong tightening would cost much or do any damage.

But yes - also annoyed at JA for not offering more on an out of the box issue.

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
When you said hold the ring to your ear and tap the diamond, what are you tapping it with?

When checking the diamond I apply gentle pressure to the stone in various places and compare it against the setting itself. It only takes minor movement in the whole ring for some light to bounce of a facet and you can start to drive yourself crazy over if the stone is moving or not.

In your situation the best bet is probably to have it checked/cleaned locally and see what they say, but if you don't have visual movement (perceived or confirmed), I would assume that the sound is simply the harmonics from tapping the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results