shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleepy gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

We all love sparkly stones - that is pretty much a given. But how many of us love those sleepy gems, that come alive in indirect light, where they glow in a way that no sparkly stone can rival? Whether facetted or en cabochon, those stones have a beauty all of their own.

Unfortunately, they are very hard to photograph and not at all impressive under the jeweller''s light, which is designed to maximize sparkle.

The gorgeous Kashmir sapphires are the traditional example, but the new find of pink spinels from Mahenge are also wonderful when viewed in person. Tourmaline can also glow (unfortunately, I lost my glowing pink tourmaline...)

Anyone else shares my love for these beauties?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I'm very fond of sleepy gems. I'm also fond of many gems that aren't necessarily coveted. I love labradorite for its flash of color. I love varieties of garnet(demantoid!) and tourmaline. I love jadeite. I have a thing for copper bearing gems and gems colored by chromium. For me, though, nothing has complicated beauty of a fine pearl. Especially the naturally colored solid nacre varieties--utterly captivating!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just purchased my first sleepy gem - a fine 2 ct hot pink cushion cut spinel. It''s so odd that you can''t find a single inclusion yet, the colour appears silky. The advantage of this appearance is absolutely no extinction or darkening of the colour under ALL lighting conditions. It also tends to glow in low lights. I''m hooked!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely love them!

I''m saving for a perfect sleepy emerald I once saw, but am still a few hundred thousand dollars short - if anyone''s willing to borrow, I promise to pay back as soon as I win the lottery
9.gif
Jokes aside, most are quite expensive indeed.

Like the opals, Kashmir sapphires, Burma rubies, Colombian emeralds, pearls, African amethysts, Imperial topazes, moonstones, spinels... I probably missed some, but they sure are beautiful.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Oh, yum. There''s a 6ct Kashmir sapphire on wildfishgems.com that is my DREAM stone-it''s got that sleepy look, and is soooo beautiful. Too bad it''s $22K!

ceys608-2.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selkie what a beautiful sapphire!!! The price is not beautiful though, HA!!!

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results