shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleeping in earrings

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
How do you sleep in earrings without the post poking You? Do you just avoid sleeping on your side?

I am looking for rose gold ball earrings, with screw backs to sleep in, but I am concerned they are going to poke me. I move positions in my sleep.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I have tough skin. :lol: I sleep with my screwback earrings on and I'm a side sleeper. On a serious note, I did feel uncomfortable initially but a fluffy pillow and the post naturally laying sideways against the side of my head didn't cause any issues.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1424699084|3836860 said:
Maybe I have tough skin. :lol: I sleep with my screwback earrings on and I'm a side sleeper. On a serious note, I did feel uncomfortable initially but a fluffy pillow and the post naturally laying sideways against the side of my head didn't cause any issues.

+1

Same with me- screwbacks and sleep with them. Was initially uncomfortable...a few days??? Then all good.
Good luck with research

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only sleep with very small earrings in. I am afraid I will damage larger ones. So I tend to sleep only in tiny round gold studs. None of mine have screw backs, just straightforward push pins. I do not wear earrings every day and I do not sleep in them every night. Sometimes the holes in my earlobes start to close up and I realize I have to get with the program and get to wearing studs more frequently! In fact, the main reason I have so many tiny gold studs (although most of them are 24K) is that I need something to keep the holes in my ears open. I don't want to flash diamonds or long 24K gold Gurhan earrings everywhere I go every day! ;))

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono, Greg, and Deb.

Deb, can you tell me the name of the jewelers you had made your bracelets for you?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only ever slept with the hoops that were used for ear piercing while my ears were healing, and switch to wearing mostly studs after that, and I have always taken my earrings off before I go to bed, unless I went to bed very drunk, then nothing really mattered! :oops: :lol:

DK :))

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I wear my bezels in my second hole 24/7. The post is long and I found that I was having to move the back during the night so I wouldn't get poked. I found these petal backs on amazon. The are small but do the trick, no more poking and the earrings are secure. When I clean them I usually replace the petal back because the plastic yellows after awhile.

petal_back.jpg

bezeled_0.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't sleep with posts-especially if the post is long-it irritates the back of my ear/scull. Tiny hoops fit the bill when I a travelling and I do not want to change earrings or lose them in a hotel bed.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Noniemarie, thanks so much pointing out the petal backs. Doesn't the post still poke you?

Thanks, lambskin, DK, Deb, Greg, and Chrono. I will do small hoops, or studs with the petal backs.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1424708212|3836940 said:
Deb, can you tell me the name of the jewelers you had made your bracelets for you?

I am assuming you are referring to my gold bangles, which I am posting a photo of below. Unfortunately the jeweler who made these for me, someone with whom I had worked for many years, closed up shop. That was Jim Grunberger of Grunberger's Jewlers in Stamford, Connecticut. His bench jeweler, Rupert, made all the bangles for me although not all at once! I have chosen the person I plan to use if I make any more bangles for my set, however. She is Karen Wickman and sells jewelry on both Etsy and eBay. She made me a pair of 24K gold earrings-to my specifications-with which I was delighted. She specializes in solid gold bangles and has experience working in high karat gold. I feel very comfortable communicating with her.

Link...http://www.karenwickmanjewelry.com/

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

_27423.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I found reversible ball earrings!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, ABGF. Yes, I was thinking of your lovely bangles. I am going over to Etsy now.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about ball earrings, but the French seem to know about sleeping in earrings; the term "Dormeuse" apparently refers to an earring that is comfortable for 24-hour wear. I've uploaded a photo of my old ones (and I'm wearing them in my avatar). I only take them off to clean them and have worn them daily for about 10 years now.

Many earrings have a nice locking-back earring style (Carter and Tiffany I think also have it as standard) and you can just slide the locking-back down to the end of the post, where it pops into locking place, and then it is totally comfortable for sleeping in.

Good luck, I hope you find a great pair of comfortable ball earrings :) Enjoy!

antique_pearl_diamond_2-2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never sleep in my earrings. I wouldn't be comfortable and also I would be afraid of stretching my piercings. I don't want saggy lobes. It's sort of like sleeping in contact lenses. Always better to remove IMO to avoid long term consequences even if it takes a little bit of extra effort.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results