shape
carat
color
clarity

Skin tone and metal color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Goldie

Rough_Rock
I have a golden complexion, and have never worn Platinum or WG...IMHO white metals do not complement darker skin tones such as mine.
I wear a lot of Thai and Indian gold (20 – 24K), and it just looks amazing against my golden skin!
4.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 5:15:37 PM
Author: ladykemma
i am of irish descent with fair, freckled, rosey, pink skin. Yellow gold looks good on me.
Interesting.

I am of Irish descent also. Fair skin, no freckles, med. dark brown hair with auburn highlights (well, now they''re fake, but they WERE real)
9.gif
, light blue eyes. YG doesn''t look so good on me (except with a tan), which is ok, cuz I prefer WG and sterling anyway.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my 18k gold wedding band looks gold but not as gold as my 22k e-ring. no green cast in the 18k. as mentioned, all depends on the mix of alloys.

i had the choice of 18k red or yellow gold for my chain, from the same source and same design. what i found is that the 18k red gold looked better on my neck despite the two rings looking good on my hand. so i opted for what looked better, not what matched. the red gold is very very subtle. most people don''t even notice.

i am a fan of green 18k gold. it can be subtle and lovely. however, i''m not a fan of anything under 18k. i''ve seen a few pieces of 14k that i''ve liked but its rare.

i''ve always worn silver. i think that part of the reason i''m not a fan of anything under 18k is that it actually doesn''t look good on me! something about my coloring i guess. but like i noted above, it would seem that my coloring varies because i certainly had a different reaction to 18k yellow gold up close to my face.

movie zombie

ps must be holiday break, deb, for both of us!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
White gold looks ''off'' on me, much like bright pink lipstick looks terrible on redheads. White gold really sticks out (and not in a good way) whereas yellow gold blends in with my skin.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 9:30:48 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 12/19/2006 5:15:37 PM
i am of irish descent with fair, freckled, rosey, pink skin. Yellow gold looks good on me.
Interesting.

I am of Irish descent also. Fair skin, no freckles, med. dark brown hair with auburn highlights (well, now they''re fake, but they WERE real)
9.gif
, light blue eyes. YG doesn''t look so good on me (except with a tan), which is ok, cuz I prefer WG and sterling anyway.
you can TAN? wow!.....

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have super pale skin and look best in white metals. Platinum and white gold. I think yellow looks harsh on me.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
This is an interesting thread. My skin is "peaches and cream" but as I get older I seem to look more pink, my eyes are blue-blue grey and my hair is currently blonde although my natural color was medium brown. When I was a teen I wore mostly yellow golds and also more peachy make-up. But now, I wear think the white gold looks better with my more "pink" skin and blonde hair--I also now tend to wear my rose-pink makeup.

Ideally, there is probably a pale creamy pinkish yellowish gold shade that would look good....like white gold although not so "chrome" looking. The yellow gold does tend to "warm up" my skin which can be a good thing. I actually like the 10 karate color better than the higher karat colors. I have a whiteflash martini set pendant in white gold and lately I've been dreaming about one in yellow gold too. My husband thinks I'm nuts wanting a 2nd pendant.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Pretty standard... the lighter the skin the whiter the metals, the darker the skin the more yellow the medals. Do you ever see the inner city gang bangers wearing white gold?? ..nope only yellow.

Goldie

Rough_Rock
MTB, I think you are trapped in a time-warp! Everyone knows that yellow gold is not popular among urban youth today, and you can thank the Puff Daddy''s, etc. for that.
38.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/20/2006 9:05:18 AM
Author: mtrb
Pretty standard... the lighter the skin the whiter the metals, the darker the skin the more yellow the medals. Do you ever see the inner city gang bangers wearing white gold?? ..nope only yellow.

Is this what you see or what you think is most flattering? I look great in high karat (i.e. bright yellow) gold. I had never even tried on a piece of it until recently, but when I did the woman in the jewelry store (who had sold me plenty of platinum) convinced me we had made a discovery. Many other friends have confirmed that view since then.

Although my hair is not naturally blonde, I was what Storm considers the only person on whom bright gold should not look good-a pale blonde. Since I am not young, I have to admit that I am not pale any longer. When one is really fair and delicate with a red head's skin, it is hard not to become pink and/or freckled over time. So I now have color in my face caused by the sun on delicate skin. I am still, in anyone's view, a fair woman, however. The skin on my neck and chest is white. My eyebrows and lashes are blonde. My eyes are green. My hair was highlighted to platinum. And 24K gold looked fabulous on me.

34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2006 7:49:42 PM
Author: strmrdr
Gold gold looks better on almost anyone for a necklace the exception being light skinned blonds on who it stands out on too much.

When it''s around your neck, Storm, hair color doesn''t matter that much! I also have to disagree based on personal experience as a light skinned blonde! I wear only gold necklaces!

Deb
34.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 2:30:54 AM
Author: Galateia
White gold looks ''off'' on me, much like bright pink lipstick looks terrible on redheads. White gold really sticks out (and not in a good way) whereas yellow gold blends in with my skin.
I dunno, Marcia Cross on DH looks great in pink - one of my 2 best friends is a redhead and she has always told me (I"d never noticed before) that red heads and pink are a no-no but then I saw that DH and went well that certainly must be the exception because she looks great in pink - albeit light pink.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:49:23 AM
Author: IslandDreams
This is an interesting thread. My skin is ''peaches and cream'' but as I get older I seem to look more pink, my eyes are blue-blue grey and my hair is currently blonde although my natural color was medium brown. When I was a teen I wore mostly yellow golds and also more peachy make-up. But now, I wear think the white gold looks better with my more ''pink'' skin and blonde hair--I also now tend to wear my rose-pink makeup.

Ideally, there is probably a pale creamy pinkish yellowish gold shade that would look good....like white gold although not so ''chrome'' looking. The yellow gold does tend to ''warm up'' my skin which can be a good thing. I actually like the 10 karate color better than the higher karat colors. I have a whiteflash martini set pendant in white gold and lately I''ve been dreaming about one in yellow gold too. My husband thinks I''m nuts wanting a 2nd pendant.
yes yes yes!!! y''think they''ll make it just for us??? LOL!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 6:11:43 AM

Date: 12/19/2006 9:30:48 PM
Author: Ellen

Interesting.

9.gif
you can TAN? wow!.....
the friend I was just talking about tans pretty well!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 3:31:34 PM
Author: JCJD
Moderately-fair with yellow undertones with dark brown hair and eyes - I''m half Chinese. I''ve been told that both yellow and white look good on me and will wear both, but I prefer white metals.

Cehra - I''m half Danish!!
hah!! I''m 1/4 danish - I say mostly because I''m more than than anything else LOL The rest of me is almost exclusively anglo except I''m 1/16 blackfoot. Other than that it''s all german, english, irish, scottish, etc. to unknown and intermixed quantities lol

I bet you''re gorgeous!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 4:07:57 PM
Author: Hopes
I am Asian, with a slight tannish look most of the time, and I prefer white gold for my rings. Yellow gold would accentuate the yellow undertones in my skin way too much. >_<
its funny because I *envy* those undertones!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 6:50:40 PM
Author: colorkitty
Deb, you seem to be the yg go-to-gal. Is there a difference in color between the karats in yg? All the pieces I have from childhood are 14K and they have all dulled. I''m not sure how to get them looking good again. My local jewelry store carries, literally, no yellow gold. I''ve been looking online.

I''ll probably get the rose gold band... and a yellow band... and a tri-gold band... I''m seriously addicted to wedding bands. I like to change up my routine. I don''t have any qualms about mixing white and pink metals. I think they get along well. Yellow and white is different, though, because they represent two different styles. Most gemstones, imo, just look better in white, and I think mixing will become more common and accepted.

Edited: can someone please envision me on the Greek beach? if we''re going on virtual vacations, what''s fair is fair. :)
oh see I think many gemstones look better in yellow gold - rubies DEFINITELY look better in yg as well as all of the other warm red stones.... even pink stones.... the only onest that might look better IMO are sapphires.... they can go either way. Yellow gold gives a richer look, white cooler.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
2c from a guy with no fashion sense :}

Gold gold looks better on almost anyone for a necklace the exception being light skinned blonds on who it stands out on too much.

Rings it doesn''t really matter much because there is a lot of open air around them.
Watches and bracelets its a little more important but necklaces its very important.
yeah except if the rings and watch and bracelet are on the same hand... I have gold watch, two gold bracelets, and gold ring I wear on my left hand (nothing on my right unless I''m going out and wear a rhr - also gold) and by gold I mean YELLOW gold for all of the above. Anyway.... I''m having my ring made in white gold and I can easily replace the watch and one of the bracelets I have no issue rhodium plating if I have to but I don''t want to touch my mom''s bracelet so I''m wondering how much I can get away with mixing the colors.... should I get a two tone watch? I''ve never been overly fond of the two tone look but out of necessity I might just have to get used to it lol

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
OK, Colorkitty, here''s what you do: look at the underside of your arm where the veins show through the skin. Do they look more blue/purple or greenish? Blue/purple means you are cool-toned and will probably look better in white metals, greenish means you''re warm and gold may be better on you. If they are blue/green or you have a hard time telling what color they are, you may be neutral (this is me!) and either one should be fine.

Or, put a YG ring on one had and a white metal ring on the other. Look in the mirror (easier to be objective than looking directly at your hands) and see what the skin on each hand looks like to you.

Or . . . you could just pick what you like best and not worry about what is supposed to be most flattering.
5.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I have pale, freckled skin and auburn hair, and I think that yellow gold looks best on me.

Example:

GSEarShot.jpg

By the way, that''s me TAN.
2.gif
I''m even paler now.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:06:46 PM
Author: Christa
OK, Colorkitty, here''s what you do: look at the underside of your arm where the veins show through the skin. Do they look more blue/purple or greenish? Blue/purple means you are cool-toned and will probably look better in white metals, greenish means you''re warm and gold may be better on you. If they are blue/green or you have a hard time telling what color they are, you may be neutral (this is me!) and either one should be fine.

Or, put a YG ring on one had and a white metal ring on the other. Look in the mirror (easier to be objective than looking directly at your hands) and see what the skin on each hand looks like to you.

Or . . . you could just pick what you like best and not worry about what is supposed to be most flattering.
5.gif
hah, I''m greenish. interesting.

i think there is an "able to tan/ not able to tan" thing going on here. I do not tan -> yellow gold.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I've never heard of the vein thing, but mine look blueish/green. So I'm neutral I guess. I also NEVER tan. So, yellow gold it is for me.

However, I'm Irish with lots of freckles, fair skin, auburn hair, and rosy undertones (sometimes) so white gold looks decent on me sometimes too. I prefer yg but after inheriting my great grandmother's wg ering and bf buying me a wg necklace, I've been wearing it more lately. =)

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:34:03 PM

5.gif

i think there is an ''able to tan/ not able to tan'' thing going on here. I do not tan -> yellow gold.
Not really--lots of Latin girls are warm-toned, and for that matter I think YG usually looks best on African skin.
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:34:03 PM

5.gif

i think there is an ''able to tan/ not able to tan'' thing going on here. I do not tan -> yellow gold.
see I think tanned people look better in yellow.... hee - but you know what I *really* think? I think our own personal preferences and bias cloud whatever sort of objective reasoning there might be.... not only for ourselves but for ohers as well lol

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree Cehrabehra. I think you should buy jewelry in the color gold you like best not what you think looks best on you. I think there are very FEW cases where someone can''t pull off a certain color gold.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
This is what we used to do years ago - and it''s the perfect time to do it.
How to tell if you are a "gold or silver" person.
Get some giftwrap paper in Gold and in Silver and cut a piece from each as wide as your shoulders and maybe 18 inches deep.
Then stand in front of a mirror in good lighting and put one of them across your shoulders and then the other.
Also put your hand over the paper and look at how your skin picks up the reflection from each one.
Which color does your skin look better with?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 12:39:07 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I agree Cehrabehra. I think you should buy jewelry in the color gold you like best not what you think looks best on you. I think there are very FEW cases where someone can''t pull off a certain color gold.
ITA and in those cases I think it''s pretty obvious. OR - the person just doesn''t care and that''s perfectly fine to!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/20/2006 8:20:16 PM
Author: Blenheim
I have pale, freckled skin and auburn hair, and I think that yellow gold looks best on me.

Example:

GSEarShot.jpg

By the way, that's me TAN.
2.gif
I'm even paler now.

Thanks for the picture, Blenheim. It really was worth 1,000 words!

Deb
34.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 1:21:21 PM
Author: AGBF

When it''s around your neck, Storm, hair color doesn''t matter that much! I also have to disagree based on personal experience as a light skinned blonde! I wear only gold necklaces!

Deb
34.gif
There are exceptions of course but I do think that hair color has a lot to do with it if one has long hair.
Short hair it matters less and skin tone plays a bigger roll.

To be honest I didn''t expect anyone to take me seriously LOL

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 6:11:43 AM
you can TAN? wow!.....
LOL Yes, but not NEAR as easily as some.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results