shape
carat
color
clarity

Skin Care Products...Recommends??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, this is great stuff! http://bootsus.bri-global.com/main.asp?cid=33&sid=22&iid=191

There has been a huge buzz about this serum in the UK for some time, I use this product and it is excellent, and now available in the States. It really has made a difference to my skin and I will definitely stick to using it. It has a huge almost cult following in the Uk since a consumer magazine did a study on these products, this stuff was found to actually work and whats more, was more effective than many expensive products. The cynic in me held out for a long time, until I actually got feedback from friends who had used it, so I bought some and love it!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I am just a smell person when it comes to moisterizers. That is essentially how I pick them. If it does not have a good smell, it is out!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the additional info ladies!! AG thanks for the site link, I will have to check it out, I def agree I am more into how does this work scientifically but that is so hard to quantify with beauty products as everyone's skin is so diff. And MC thanks for steering me away from the AH for now....I definitely don't need anything too harsh for my skin and we do have a lot of sun here hehee. Lorelei, I will have to check out what you posted as well. Diver, I did look at Philosophy on Sephora but I mostly know them as a makeup and lotion kind of place, rather than a whole anti-aging line...but I was eyeballing the Hope in a Jar. Maybe when I run out of my regular daily...right now I am using Aveeno Lifting and Restore daily moist with 30spf. Not sure what it's doing, just started it like a week and a half ago. And I use OoO regenerist daily serum as well.

I am still really impressed with this Olay Definity Eye Illuminator thing...it fills in the area and makes it look brighter but doesn't emphasize the lines or the thinner skin like the Aveeno eye thing I tried last time. And $23. I swear I love OoO big time.

Moisturizers don't really do too much for me on a regular basis other than keep my skin from entirely drying out. My real things are the under eye and eye wrinkles and then a more powerful serum kind of daily thing. And the Vit C which I used to do like 3-4x a week to keep fresh looking.

It's funny though because I can only use a product like every 6 months before I notice that it stops 'working'...and I have to switch to something else for a while then come back to the original product. It's like my skin needs a jump start with a new product or something.

Whoever posted the tip about the eyelash growth stuff, does that really WORK?? It seems kind of like a pipe dream hehee. Greg was saying he thought eyelashes were dead hair once they came out of your body (sounds gross)...so how could they grow from an external topical item. Must research into it. but NOT spending $160 hehe.

Oh and whoever mentioned Shiseido, my Mom has used that almost exclusively since her 20's and she has such great looking skin, people always tell her she looks like 10-15 years younger than she is. And it's soft skin too. So I do think that the products can work...maybe it's just putting SOMETHING. anything over time. cumulative effect? who knows.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 11:19:10 AM
Author: Mara
Thanks for all the additional info ladies!! AG thanks for the site link, I will have to check it out, I def agree I am more into how does this work scientifically but that is so hard to quantify with beauty products as everyone''s skin is so diff. And MC thanks for steering me away from the AH for now....I definitely don''t need anything too harsh for my skin and we do have a lot of sun here hehee. Lorelei, I will have to check out what you posted as well. Diver, I did look at Philosophy on Sephora but I mostly know them as a makeup and lotion kind of place, rather than a whole anti-aging line...but I was eyeballing the Hope in a Jar. Maybe when I run out of my regular daily...right now I am using Aveeno Lifting and Restore daily moist with 30spf. Not sure what it''s doing, just started it like a week and a half ago. And I use OoO regenerist daily serum as well.

I am still really impressed with this Olay Definity Eye Illuminator thing...it fills in the area and makes it look brighter but doesn''t emphasize the lines or the thinner skin like the Aveeno eye thing I tried last time. And $23. I swear I love OoO big time.

Moisturizers don''t really do too much for me on a regular basis other than keep my skin from entirely drying out. My real things are the under eye and eye wrinkles and then a more powerful serum kind of daily thing. And the Vit C which I used to do like 3-4x a week to keep fresh looking.

It''s funny though because I can only use a product like every 6 months before I notice that it stops ''working''...and I have to switch to something else for a while then come back to the original product. It''s like my skin needs a jump start with a new product or something.

Whoever posted the tip about the eyelash growth stuff, does that really WORK?? It seems kind of like a pipe dream hehee. Greg was saying he thought eyelashes were dead hair once they came out of your body (sounds gross)...so how could they grow from an external topical item. Must research into it. but NOT spending $160 hehe.

Oh and whoever mentioned Shiseido, my Mom has used that almost exclusively since her 20''s and she has such great looking skin, people always tell her she looks like 10-15 years younger than she is. And it''s soft skin too. So I do think that the products can work...maybe it''s just putting SOMETHING. anything over time. cumulative effect? who knows.

Mara, I posted the mention of the eyelash serum. Some people swear it works. There are several brands on the market, with 1 of them in the news recently with negative reports of being bad for you. The one I used was RevitaLash. Yeah, it was $150.00 per tube !! It was selling out like crazy on many sites that carried it, I had to wait 2 mos. to get mine. I did my research and felt ok with ordering it. I''m not a makeup junkie or anything, but needed some help with my lashes. It''s hell to get old!
Most of the consumer reports on the serum report that it takes about 4-6 weeks to see improvement. I actually saw some new growth, but the dull pain and blotchy eyelids were not worth a few extra lashes. Now, can someone tell me about a great mascara!!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Mara: Awesome about the OoO....and $23. I too am always skeptical about how products "work". Philosophy''s anti-aging items have pretty good ingredients, and the way they package their vitamin C helps keep it stable (problematic in most products..they use individual capsules).

I need to lighten my brown spots on my face, so today I saw my doctor & he prescribed me 4% hydroquinine & .25% retin A. OTC Retin A''s and 2% hydroquinine aren''t strong enough to do any real heavy work on bad spots (like I have, thats what happens when you are pregnant and don''t wear facial sunscreen EVERYDAY) and the high end cosmetic/anti-aging products cost more than a tube of prescription Retin A! Plus, when you order through your mail order pharmacy (if your medical plan offers one) you get 3 tubes for the price of 1....so a $100 tube of Retin A will be more like $33 apiece...score! And it''ll work better because it is so much stronger than anything you can buy OTC.

The RetinA + 4% hydroquinine is supposed to as effective as laser on removing age spots, but much cheaper. I''m sure it takes longer though. (but laser would run me at LEAST $1500) Plus you can bet I''ll be adding some RetinA to my "aging" spots, since that is really one of the only topicals that has been proven to TRULY improve your wrinkle situation. It actually stimulates collagen growth.

I won''t spend a lot of money on OTC skincare. I like Philosophy because its cheap for what you get & makes my skin feel good. My cleanser (for a HUGE 16oz bottle is $32, my serum (lasts 6 months) is 32, and my sunscreen is $35 and my moisturizer is $35. I have barely made a dent in either sunscreen/moisturizer or night moisturizer (hope in a jar) because I use one at bedtime and one in the morning. I''m like you, I base it off how well it makes my skin look, not by anything else. I got sucked into the Philosophy thing, because (and don''t laugh..well ok you can laugh) I was tired, and had morning sickness & got the channel stuck on QVC. They had the intro kit of Makeup Optional for like $42 dollars. I was out of stuff & my skin was going beserk & for some reason my needs went from anti-acne to anti-aging overnight. Also, my Neutrogena acne wash started burning my face. So I tried, I loved, and I''m hooked.

But I am going back to my old eye cream (Clinique eye firming) maybe...you kind of have me intrigued by the OoO eye thingie. The Clinique had opalescence in it, so I liked how it "brightened" my eye area without looking like I have glimmer stuff on. Does the OoO do that too? They are about the same price, I think the Clinique is in the $32 range.

And Mascara..yes, I am looking for a new one too. The SA in TBD (jeans & tops) in Nordstrom told me the 2 best sellers in the store were the plain, old school 7 for all mankind jean with bootcut leg & amber stitching & the MAC Black Mascara (which is like $10). I am out of some MAC things so I might grab a tube & try it out. For $10 why not? I have also read DiorShow Mascara wins awards left and right. Its a Sephora Best Seller now. but it''s $23. I replace my mascara every 2 months, so I like cheaper brands. I tried to get into Maybelline Great Lash, because that is supposed to be an industry favorite & cult classic, but I hated it. Everyone is different, yanno?

I used to wear L''oreal Voluminous, but its formula has gotten clumpier over the years.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh DG i love Voluminous from LOreal, yes the clumps suck but i actually just wipe the brush out on a tissue a few times first, then apply, no clumps. but yeah it''s amazing how much mascara those brushes actually sop on when they go into the tube...seriously i only need like 1/50th of that application. i like the brush on voluminous too, flufftastic.

i agree i don''t like to spend a ton on face stuff..most of my stuff is seriously basic for skin and lotion etc...but i do splurge here and there on things like the eye cream or a really good serum because i have seen fab results in the past from certain products. but for things like cleanser, daily moisturizer, etc...i prefer more basic brands for sure. plus especially for things like lotion...i use a TON so i need to buy a trough practically every month. i drop at least $100 every month on lotions and creams at longs it seems.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
DiorShow is FABulous mascara.

I''m a totally sucker for serums. I''ve been breaking out so I just ordered a ''clear up'' serum from Derm. We''ll see
40.gif
!

I don''t wear much makeup-the tinted sunscreen and occasionally the YSL lightener and that''s it so I''m not much help there.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2008 7:41:19 PM
Author: moremoremore
i''m tellin ya...physicians formula yellow stick is the way to go. White sucks...I spent money on Dior, Clarins, etc eye brighteners...they make you look like a freak. I also wear little makeup..Yellow is the color you want. Dab it lightly and then smear it. Less is more.
The Physician''s Formula is good; and I use the green too. I''m so fair that it actually works better on me than the yellow. Makes any redness on the face just disappear.

For cleansing I love Aveeno''s Clear Complexion Bar. For exfoliation, I use a little baking soda on a washcloth with some of the Aveeno soap to lather. Clears away dead skin, loosens blackheads, all for .39 a box! Doesn''t have any chemicals that dry the skin or cause irritation. I use Aveeno''s Clear Complexion moisturizer right after washing. Before I put on makeup, I put on some Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish cream. Makes the foundation go on smooth as silk, and doesn''t clog pores.

I''ve used a lot of the expensive and not so expensive stuff out there; but these work best for me and cost a pittance by comparison. In my early 30s I was having major skin issues; my dermatologist told me to completely stop using everything and let my skin decide for itself whether it was dry, normal, or oily. I was confusing the heck out of it by using too many different products and too much moisturizer. He said there was nothing I could put on my face to counteract dryness or wrinkles; those products could not penetrate the top layers of skin to do what the product promised. He said to watch what I eat, drink a ton of water, and use products sparingly if at all. I thought at first he was crazy, but turned out to be the best $40 advice I every got. I''ve never had a skin problem since, and I''ve got darn few wrinkles (but that could be the Neutrogena!).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 11:19:10 AM
Author: Mara
Thanks for all the additional info ladies!! AG thanks for the site link, I will have to check it out, I def agree I am more into how does this work scientifically but that is so hard to quantify with beauty products as everyone's skin is so diff. And MC thanks for steering me away from the AH for now....I definitely don't need anything too harsh for my skin and we do have a lot of sun here hehee. Lorelei, I will have to check out what you posted as well. Diver, I did look at Philosophy on Sephora but I mostly know them as a makeup and lotion kind of place, rather than a whole anti-aging line...but I was eyeballing the Hope in a Jar. Maybe when I run out of my regular daily...right now I am using Aveeno Lifting and Restore daily moist with 30spf. Not sure what it's doing, just started it like a week and a half ago. And I use OoO regenerist daily serum as well.

I am still really impressed with this Olay Definity Eye Illuminator thing...it fills in the area and makes it look brighter but doesn't emphasize the lines or the thinner skin like the Aveeno eye thing I tried last time. And $23. I swear I love OoO big time.
I was curious about this too since I use Dior Capture r60/80 for the skin around my eyes. I was thinking doh, I have consumer reports, I should look it up.
2.gif
They based their conclusions on how it helped firm fine lines, tolerance to the product (allergies, etc) and moisturizing benefits. Well the top performers were Olay Regenerist (1st place) and Lancôme Rénergie (2nd place). The worst product was La Prairie Cellular and Roc deep wrinkle making fine lines worse.
14.gif

I think I will pick me up some OoO Regenerist next time I am at the store.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
as usual, i''m late to the party!

just wanted to chime in with with a plug for Murad. I''ve used their stuff for 6 years and luv it. and yep- they have a vita-c line. i just started using the eye cream, so cannot give a rec on that yet!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Like many here, ohhhh the amount of money I have spent on skincare products! Through all of the brands, both good experiences and bad, here are my absolute favorites:

Cetaphil cleanser -- this is my "holy grail" cleanser. I have sensitive, dry/oil/acne prone skin. Well at least I did, until I started using this. This cleanser is beyond gentle, can be applied wet or dry, is emollient and so soothing. I was used to really "foamy" cleanser and this doesn''t foam at all, so at first I was put off but the milky texture. But it feels so soothing the minute you glide it on, you stop missing the bubbles. It leaves my skin with no film, and with a light moisturized feeling.

Cetaphil moisturizing cream -- I use this on my face in the winter, and on my body year round. This stuff is amazing... great ratings on makeupalley.com and for good reason. It is literally THE most moisturizing cream/lotion that I''ve found, short of a prescription I had from my dermatologist years ago. I like the fact that it''s unscented too, so it doesn''t fight with the scent of my bodywash/shampoo/perfume or whatever.

Clinique''s Moisture Surge Extra Thirsty Skin Relief -- this is actually a gel moisturizer that while it says it''s for "extra thirsty skin relief" I find this to be a lighter moisturizer, due to the gel consistency. I like this in the spring and summer because you can toss it in the fridge and the cool gel feels so soothing in warmer months. It''s oil-free and doesn''t make me break out, and keeps my skin so smooth.

Murad''s AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser -- magic. in. a. bottle. I love this stuff. It has glycolic, salicylic, and lactic acids, along with tiny jojoba beads and all together the create the best exfoliating cleanser. The particles are tiny and don''t feel like they''re scrubbing your skin off, and the acids really do their magic. Your skin will noticeably feel softer immediately after the first use.

Roger & Gallet French Soap -- favorite soap for the body. So many scents, luxurious lather, not drying like most soap, makes me feel like I''m in Paris again.

Also I have been wanting to try some products from Pangea Organics. I bought some bar soap and it is divine, all organic, cute packaging, and you can even plant the box the soap comes in dirt and... it grows basil or amaranth! Very cool.

Mara, I haven''t been using eye serums and I feel like I definitely should! Keep us updated if you still like the Olay!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I am really surprised to hear some much good stuff about Philosophy''s skin care line. I enjoy their body products and fragrances, but I abhor their skin care products. I mean, really hate them. I purchased their "Makeup Optional" skin care set and hated everything in it except for the eye/lip cream. Their skin care products have some of the worst/mixed revied products on makeupalley.com . I tried the Purity Made Simple cleanser, many people don''t like the smell but I actually did, but it dried my skin out very quickly. The Hope in a Jar smells ok to me, but the scent is very, very strong. I just didn''t like how it lingered. I also thought the moisturizing properties were too "sticky" -- I need to put my makeup on and this would take forever to dry, ick. The "When Hope Is Not Enough" serum was the absolute worst. I am no baby, and know that beauty is all about pain. I absolutely could not stomach this serum -- the smell made me literally gag. It became an absolute danger to put this on in the morning, with an empty stomach.
1.gif

The one Philosophy product that I DO like is their Microdermabrasion in a Jar. Wonderful product, your skin will be noticeably smoother after the first use. However, Olay has come out with the EXACT product for less than half the cost, so I switched.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
AmberGretchen, thanks for the Paula link! I joined Beautypedia and used the code. I had a book of hers a long time ago, but had forgotten all about her. Between Beautypedia and MakeupAlley I am all set!
31.gif
I like Paula''s reviews because she''ll say "it does actually have the antioxidants they claim" or "Dr. Perricone makes claims that can''t be reached" or "This product does have good ingredients but it comes in a jar, so after being opened, some of the ingredients lose xyz." Very nice!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 7:06:36 PM
Author: divergrrl

The RetinA + 4% hydroquinine is supposed to as effective as laser on removing age spots, but much cheaper.
Hi,

Hopefully this doesn''t come across rude, but wanted to point out that Hydroquinine is BANNED in Europe for having a risk of causing tumors! I used it for a bit before finding this out.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 7:06:36 PM
Author: divergrrl

I need to lighten my brown spots on my face, so today I saw my doctor & he prescribed me 4% hydroquinine & .25% retin A. OTC Retin A''s and 2% hydroquinine aren''t strong enough to do any real heavy work on bad spots (like I have, thats what happens when you are pregnant and don''t wear facial sunscreen EVERYDAY) and the high end cosmetic/anti-aging products cost more than a tube of prescription Retin A! Plus, when you order through your mail order pharmacy (if your medical plan offers one) you get 3 tubes for the price of 1....so a $100 tube of Retin A will be more like $33 apiece...score! And it''ll work better because it is so much stronger than anything you can buy OTC.

Hey divergrrl, please report back on how the hydroquinine and retin-a goes. I have realllllly been looking hard at the Obagi Nuderm system, you can get it through a dermatologist but can also buy it online. The active ingredients in the kit are the 4% hydroquinine and the Tretinoin (retin-a) cream. I''ve heard it can be VERY rough the first few weeks, but then your skin will look fabulous. Obagi and Skinmedica both put out 5% and 10% Vitamin-C serums that I''m interested in too!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 1:27:39 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
AmberGretchen, thanks for the Paula link! I joined Beautypedia and used the code. I had a book of hers a long time ago, but had forgotten all about her. Between Beautypedia and MakeupAlley I am all set!
31.gif
I like Paula's reviews because she'll say 'it does actually have the antioxidants they claim' or 'Dr. Perricone makes claims that can't be reached' or 'This product does have good ingredients but it comes in a jar, so after being opened, some of the ingredients lose xyz.' Very nice!

Hey Lindsey - I'm glad that was helpful. I totally agree about how nice it is to know if there's actually a basis for all the claims that people make about their skin care stuff. I mean obviously her recommendations are a starting point and some people will like certain products better than others, but she hasn't steered me wrong yet, and I get all kinds of compliments on my skin, so I guess something is working
31.gif
3.gif

ETA I use the Neutrogena Foaming Facial Cleanser (in a light blue bottle), Paula's Choice BHA lotion, and that's more or less it for face care. I wear sunscreen religiously, usually in my foundation or a tinted moisturizer, and I use Paula's Choice skin soothing solution stuff (forget the name, but DH is now addicted to it too and uses it every time he shaves) when my skin gets irritated, usually after getting my eyebrows waxed.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
MC, no not rude at all dear! Thank you for bringing that to may attention. I''ll call my dermie tomorrow to be sure. But upon researching it briefly (and staying away from all non-medical sources, I stick to sources of good information & not ding-bats with a high speed connection & basic html skills) it seems hydroquinone can indeed cause cancer if abused, overused, or swallowed whole.

Apparently, in some countries, dark skinned individuals are obsessed with skin lightening in the same way some white skinned folks are obessessed with tanning. (and we know tanning causes fatal cancers, but yet, tanning beds are legal?)

In my case, I''m a pale white chick, with a section of my left cheek & above my left eyebrow that need fixing. I don''t need the HQ on my whole face, so my exposure will be limited and for a short period of time.

Here''s an excerpt of one dermatologist''s opinion....

Even dermatologist Dr. Susan Taylor, assistant professor of dermatology at Columbia University, New York finds the link between hydroquinone and cancer dubious. Dr. Taylor reported in Dermatology Times, "If you give a rat enough of anything orally it may well develop cancer."
Besides cancer, ochronosis has surfaced as another side effect of hydroquinone usage. Ochronosis describes the darkened skin than can results from use of skin creams containing hydroquinone. Ochronosis has been largely documented in countries like Senegal, South Africa, Saudi Arabia and Nigeria where as much as 25% of the adult population may use skin lightening agents.

I''m not worried, because i don''t need much...just enough to even out the left side of my face. But you are sweet to give me a heads up!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Very late to the party here..

I was going to recommend the Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum - but I see you already have it.

I have tried loads of products over the years, but absolutely love this one. I have very dry skin and since I started using this it looks amazing. It''s also a great make-up base.

I haven''t tried the other bits in the range, but might have a go based on your posts.

I have recommended it to loads of people and even FI has switched from his Clinique stuff to this. We bought about 10 bottles in the US as it''s half the price it is in the UK - it''s $46 a bottle here
23.gif
, whereas we found it at $15 in the States.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
just chiming in here again!! still using the OoO new eye serum (not regenerist...the other new one) and still like it. i can''t use it daily or else it''s almost too effective, so i hae to take a day or two off from it...but not bad for $19!!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, katebar you are in such. big. trouble. My bank account does NOT thank you for posting a link to the Essentialdayspa forums, seriously! Haha, I kid! Thank you for the great link.

OK so the EDS forums are a little on the nutso side. Some of these women buy strong acids and give themselves at home acid peels, while others purchase devices that roll small hypodermic needles into the skin to allow creams to penetrate the surface. But I digress! Such crazy women should also have the low down on all of the best products, right?

Here is what I've purchased in the past week, and if you're interested in any of them to go the product reviews on makeupalley.com or check out the EDS forum that katebar posted.

1. Skinceuticals C E Ferulic Serum -- one of the most potent Vitamin C serums on the market. It has great reviews on MUA, is well loved by the EDS forum gals, and even got a very good rating from beautypedia.com which analyzes beauty products by their ingredients and effectiveness.

2. Skinceuticals Retinol Night Cream .05% -- I am really excited to try this. All of the advice I got and researched said that a Vitamin C serum and a Retinol/Retinoid product would make the biggest changes in your skin, and the Retinol/Retinoid being the most important. This product had a ton of reviews and a whopping 90% rebuy on MUA which if you use their ratings, you know is a very high percentage for the amount of reviews it has received.

3. Skinceuticals Phyto Corrective Gel -- I bought this because it is supposed to soothe red, irritated, and sensitive skin with calming plant extracts. My skin is sensitive anyway, and I feel that I will need this to help with the Retinol use.

4. Sofina Extra Cut UV Lucent -- (I think that's the name?) This sunscreen again had top marks on MUA, with an SPF of 50, a high PPD, and allegedly it goes on smooth, matte, and won't clog your pores or make you makeup look greasy.

I want to let anyone know who might be interested, you can buy six sample vials at a time of some Skinceuticals products on eBay that add up to the amount of a full size product, for a fraction of the cost. The sample sizes of the Vitamin C serum are nice anyway because they need to be refrigerated anyway.

Oh also apparently for anyone who has sun damage, fine lines, etc -- you might want to look into Obagi Nuderm. You can get it from dermatologists and certain websites, but the retinoid step will need a prescription. I saw before/after pictures of this system and it is nothing short of jaw dropping. However you look like a lizard monster for a few weeks, so it's not for the faint of heart!

I will report back on the products I've bought!

Mara thanks for this thread! You made me think about how I wasn't fully caring for my skin (sunscreen, vit c serum, etc.) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results