shape
carat
color
clarity

Skin Care Products...Recommends??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lo everyone!!

i need to get some new skincare products...my last batch bought over a year ago has pretty much run out. i've been using some oil of olay regenerist stuff just out of sheer drugstore-going laziness. i have generally good skin without breakouts, T zone combo kind of thing for the most part. drier in the winter as typical.

i used to use La Prairie products for a few years, and loved their Vit C serum but they changed it about a year ago and i just kept using what i had til it ran out. now i am unsure what is on the market and what is best.

i hear a lot about 'stri-vectin' and 'skinceuticals' as being top products...does anyone know about them or use them? i could just use LP again if i have to since i know their stuff is good but wanted to branch out and see what else was recommended.

i'm particularly looking for something with VitC in it like a C serum along with an eye cream or dark circle brightener/fine line removal kind of thing. so maybe 2-3 products. cost is not really much of an issue because i buy this stuff so infrequently, i am willing to pay if it means it's the good stuff (though ideally not $300 for 0.5oz of eye cream!)...for daily regular moisturizer i still plan to continue to use my oil of olay stuff and i also just bought aveeno daily resurfacing cream or whatever for daily use too.

i also really can't use too oily of a product, i've tried la mer in the past and it was a bit too much for my combo skin. so something with not too much of an 'intense' cream thing going on.

so i primarily am looking for a C product and an eye product that will help with fine lines and circles. any recommends that you guys love?? oh and ideally i just want to be able to buy online from sephora...i'm way too lazy to get into a store.

thanks in advance!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well, probably not what you expected to hear from me, but I love Avon skin care products. Their Anew line is fab as is their their Vit. C serum. And you can buy them online!

Not to say that I use them exclusively, but I also love the biotanical lines Nuxe and Dr. Hauschaka (sp). LaMer has a delightful rich creme, that I like for my (koff koff aging) skin (yes, even 22 year olds need rich cremes...
9.gif
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks sharon. i wouldn''t be surprised to hear Avon is great. from products i have tried in the past, something does not need to be $200 to be effective. i love the oil of olay regenerist line for daily moisturizers and creams and they are $19.99 or something. i''ll check them out.

i''ve been doing some research online today and wowsa. there is so much out there! how does one decide on what to try?? dropping $100 to try something that might not work seems a little non-practical. and umm hello, people actually pay $160 for an eyelash conditioning cream? whaa?? it''s in sephora''s top 6 best sellers apparently.

i did find a website that reviewed top 15 eye creams and the top 4 were $100+ but then the #5 one was dr. brandt''s lineless eye cream for $60 at sephora. it got mostly 4 and 5 out of 5''s and one 3 out of 5.. funny but skinceuticals who my friend raves about was #12 on this list with mostly 3 and 4''s. the top one was called eyevive but you can only get it thru some random online store thing, and the 2nd one is $125 but apparently works quite well, so that might be my second choice.

also sephora has some exclusive brand fusion that created a ''lift to go'' product for them, it''s only $25 and it supposedly gives you a mini face lift kind of effect. for $25. not bad to try i figure. oh and oil of olay also has some sort of eye illuminator called Definity that fights creasing, discoloration, and eye darkness. so i might scope that out at the long''s drugs today too.

here''s that $25 fusion mini face lift:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?categoryId=A17&id=P162552

for another overall face product to try with anti-aging, still looking around a little. was looking at ole hendrickson truth serum for $60...it was in an ad for sephora in an allure and looks intriguing.

seems like a lot of people feel like the perricone products are just more flash for the cash...not really anything effective going on there, i was checking out the $95 eye serum but a lot of reviews said it didn''t do anything. stri-vectin is mentioned a lot as well with seemingly decent results. also there is Cell-RX which seems kind of like a stri-vectin similar product.

so that''s the result of my research so far. on skinstore.com there are 481 products in the anti-aging category and 141 when you narrow it down to anti-aging --> eye creams. how does one decide?!?!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always use the Vit E range from the body shop. My skin has improved so much since I''ve been using those products. I''m not sure if they do a Vit C range but it might be worth a try.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i am not a good one to advise here since i have skin allergies out the wazoo. my derm has kinerase products available in her office. she gave me a sample packet containing several items. i have yet to try any of them as i am always afraid to try something new. i have read some good things about them maybe it is worth your time to check them out. hth.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Mara lots of pople seem to like skinceuticals on the essential day spa forum. IMO don''t waste your money on any of the strivectrin products.
Cellex C products are good as are PSF.
Go visit the forums at essentail day spa I have learnt so much over and everyone is real friendly and extremely helpful EDS forum

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i love the dermalogica line. skin care is where i tend to splurge but even though it is a bit more expensive than drugstore brands i think it is worth it and not that much more expensive.

i have sensitive yet combo skin and need a good moisturizer. i found that most moisturizers would cause me to break out and just felt heavy. i don't wear much makeup so am very sensitive to stuff feeling like it is on my face.

i found that all of the dermalogica products i've tried have felt great on - they don't feel heavy but work really well.

i found this website that i buy all of my stuff from - they are quick at delivery and always include samples

http://www.dermaskincare.com/dermalogica/default.html

i use daily

1) special cleansing gel - the bottle lasts forever! i also like to use it to clean my glasses because it rinses off really well
i used to use the essential cleansing solution and i think i will go back to that one because i like that it is more milky but seriously the bottle of the gel that i currently have is going to last a year or two

2) skin smoothing cream - this has vitamin A, C and E and antioxidant
i used to use the intensive moisture balance which was great but didn't have vit C and E and antioxidants that my dermatologist recommended

every other day or so i use the daily microfoliant which you could actually use daily

their facial treatments are great too - the multivitamin power recovery masque is rejuvenating. and with their products a little goes a long way

i found their sunscreen to be too heavy. my dermatologist recommended the new La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX SPF 15. it doesn't smell or feel heavy plus he said that this is one of hte only ones that actually last all day.

one of my favorite skin products is from jurlique - deep penetrating cream mask - it always makes me feel like i went to the spa and tightens everything up ;-). i rave about this to my friends. i generally don't like jurlique because i think it is way expensive and too smelly for me but i love this product.

hope this helps :)

ETA : dermalogica has a lot of things they call boosters that you are supposed to add to your moisturizer etc but i can't be bothered using them plus they are a tad expensive for me. i don't like having too many steps and products to keep track of

i have used their eye treatments - multi-vitamin power firm and intensive eye repair - as well as night bright which is for your face. but i am bad at applying them on a regular basis. i think the night bright is kind of expensive for using all over your face regularly. the eye treatments aren't too bad. i just can never understand how you are supposed to put them on in the morning and not have your eyeliner get smeary. maybe i am putting on my eyeliner too soon after putting on the eye treatments. but i have no patience to wait :razz:

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I tried the Helyxin stuff for under eye circles. Waste of money. I think that it's just genetic and can be slightly helped with vitamin K (???) supplements...Dunno. I also tried the Avon new-ish one for the eyes (circles, lines) and it didn't do anything for me...I just use a dab of yellow concealer...

I am a huge fan of non-fancy skincare. I love plain ol' alpha hydroxy lotion for the face which I've used in the past and a few months ago started using the Aveeno serum/lotion all over the face including eyes (forget which one...little pump) for aging and it's awesome ... you really peal at first...

I also think that a periodic resurfacing facial by a ferm maybe save you money in the long run and be must more efficient.... I do admit that I plan on getting some botox between the eyes for two reasons- one, I frown CONSTANTLY by nature and my face feels "stressed" and to stop those little lines forming there.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My Derm still advocates, Dove soap/cleanser, vaseline intensive care to moisturize.

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks ladies!!

i actually went over to the drugstore to get some loose glitter shadow (the new thing apparently, kinda fun to play around with) and some lip gloss and also picked up the Oil of Olay Definity Eye Illuminator. it was on sale for $5 off...so it was only $23. i am going to give this a whirl for the eyes. i don''t have super dark circles, but some days i definitely could use some brightening up around the eyes. i think many times it is genetic as well mmm.

still looking into face options for overall anti aging. mmm when you say you use alpha hydroxy for your face, where do you get it and is it too harsh that way??? when i use the vit C serums, my face tingles and burns a bit...i don''t know if i could deal with anything too harsh.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t used the alpha hydroxy in a few moons bc now I use the Aveeno..but it''s the original Alpha Hydroxy lotion for face (in the red box, black writing, some white)...Not the little tube or jar, but a small -ish bottle... they used to have it at Rite Aid....I think Bed Beth and Beyond still carries it. I remember it was not easy to find all the time. People swear by it. Cheap, effective. There was maybe mild stinking at first, and some peeling at first...but after a while, it stops. I also got Belle to use this stuff I think she still swears by (I was too cheap and lazy to keep up with it)...I''m sure she''ll tell you....

Do a google for the dark circles...I too don''t have super dark, but always look a wee bit tired. Except for when you are actually tired, or have food allergies,they are just genetic. Not much you can do about it. Physicians formula yellow stick is best. Light so it doesn''t stick in cracks. Yellow counteracts the purple/dark circles.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
in the allure this month there was an article on how to conceal the dark circles. i just bought a creme concealer from rimmel i think to see if that helps. i don''t wear a lot of makeup at all, i do mostly neutral eyes and lip gloss with a sweep of bronzer on a daily basis. no foundation, no mascara, nothing heavy. but i would touch up under eye if i found something. i tried aveeno eye brightening but it seemed only to emphasize the circles, not the plan.

if you do google dark circles for eye...it''s CRAZY the amount of products out there that claim to help take care of them. that is why i am really interested to see what has worked for people i know. maybe it''s true that no one actually has dark circle-less eyes past the age of 25...and everyone just uses a form of illumination and concealer to make it look so ?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
i''m tellin ya...physicians formula yellow stick is the way to go. White sucks...I spent money on Dior, Clarins, etc eye brighteners...they make you look like a freak. I also wear little makeup..Yellow is the color you want. Dab it lightly and then smear it. Less is more.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm darn & i was just at the store looking at PF today too!! so many options, so hard to tell. it''s on my list for next visit...
2.gif

oh and sharon, i believe in the basics too...i still use vaseline on my lips when they are chapped or on my nose when i have a cold to prevent chapped nose hehee. and i smear it on my hands and feet sometimes too.

one FAB thing for re-hydrating moisture is Healthy Hoof I think it''s called. you can get it at nail salons and it is a really thick creme for your hands and feel, think cuticles and rough heels. it''s amazing. i use it all winter long and it keeps my hands from being too much like an alligator handbag. a big container is like $9.00. i have one at home and one at work and a small one for travel!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I really can''t help you much...I am the worst at taking care of my skin. However, I do use dermalogica, because...well, my cousin works there and gives me stuff.

So...if you do find dermalogica stuff you like, let me know. I can get it to you at employee prices (it''s about half off) and send it up to you.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so I am really glad that you started this thread Mara, as I found myself just the other day thinking if there is a magic potion out there that can combat my dark circles and tighten & firm the eye area. I know dark circles is hard to diminish, but I''ll try anything if people swear by it.
2.gif

I got a bag of samples from Sephora in my last online order, and so far I have tried what is in there, and it is something called N.V. Perricone Cosmeceuticals - called Eye Area Therapy. It has some kind of alpha lipoic acid, in it (????) and not sure if it did anything, as I only was able to use it for two nights in a row - darn packet was barely enough for one trial! I hate that! Kinda made my skin brighter though - or that could be attributed to the 8-9 hours of sleep I got over the weekend.
20.gif

Another sample was Ultra Rich Eye Balm from L''Occitane - I like some of their other products, so hopefully this works well.

Let us know if you find something you like!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rosebud, yeah that Perricone Eye Therapy is one I was checking out online but it seems like it''s got mixed reviews so I was unsure for $95 that I wanted to try it out. I know that beauty products are SO subjective...everyone''s skin is different. So it''s hard to ask for recommendations because one person''s heaven is another person''s useless eye-product-in-a-drawer. But I figure the more positive recommends the better hehe.

Funny but I have used the Definity Eye Illuminator from Oil of Olay yesterday afternoon after my shower and then again this morning and I swear that after both applications I felt like it did make my eye area brighter/alert and less lined. Or maybe it was the scrub cleanser I got from Regenerist from OoO as well. Or both. Interesting though. I will keep using it and see what I find.

Thanks for the offer TG...I will have to research a bit as I am not familiar with Dermalogica at all.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
tgal - lucky you!

mara - i first found out about dermalogica when i went to the claremont for i think my first facial ever several years ago. you might be able to get some samples at purebeauty or the website i linked to above might send some out. the dermalogica line is definitely cheaper than la mer ;-). i decided to go to a dermatologist last year and when i told him what i used he gave it the thumbs up.

i think you mentioned skinceuticals as well - i find their prices really high. i guess since i liked dermalogica i didn't feel that i needed to try anything else after.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have been using the shiseido white line brand, I think it is called- the skincare. But then I started breaking out on my forehead and I wasn''t sure if it was from that or just the change in the weather, so I started using a line by Elizabeth Arden called intervene.

They had a gift package at Macy''s, so I was excited that I could try it out without spending a lot of money on the full size products.

So far so good. I like their cleanser because it has tiny exfoliating particles, but not a whole bunch that it would be very gritty, and my face feels really clean afterwards. I don''t use toner usually and when I do, I use the one from Estee Lauder because I still have some left.

I do like the face moisturizer. I liked it so much that I bought the heavy cream one in the jar that you scoop with your finger. Especially here in NY, to cold is so biting that when you walk back into your house, your whole face is chapped and raw. So, in the winter I like the heavier cream moisturizer and the lighter one in the summer.

I must say, I do also love the Shiseido moisturizer called Bio performance, it felt so smooth and silky on my skin,like melted butter that was whipped a million times and not greasy at all. But it has no spf, so I stopped using it.
2.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I was using the sonya dakar stuff for years but just switched over to La Roche-Posay. I use the cleanser and If you’re prone to breakouts or would like to brighten your skin, this cleanser is for you. It used to only be available at the Derm but now in CVS they have the new fancy skin care center. I also use their sun screen (which is also a daily moisturizer but SPF 30 ) and this other lotion that is in the anti aging line but its green and it takes out red.... Stop by a CVS and play around with it!

Dermalogica is supposed to be really good. My old roommate loved it, he was a regional manager for Origins but swore by dermologica!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I know...I''m lucky. I have not had to buy it...every birthday or christmas I get products and I can''t get through it fast enough.

Mara, let me know if you can''t find a place to get samples. I have a ton here.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I use Dermalogica too - I use the sensitive cleanser, the daily microfoliant, and I have a moisturizing mask too.

For moisturizer, I use Guinot protective creme.

My skin is very pale and sensitive though - but I''ve been very happy with those products!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2008 6:28:06 PM
Author: Mara

still looking into face options for overall anti aging. mmm when you say you use alpha hydroxy for your face, where do you get it and is it too harsh that way??? when i use the vit C serums, my face tingles and burns a bit...i don''t know if i could deal with anything too harsh.
Mara,

Since you live in sunny CA, I wouldn''t recommend Alpha Hydroxy products. They work WONDERFULLY on skin, but they require that you wear high levels of sunblock to avoid damaging your skin and if you DO end up getting sun within 1 week of using a Hydroxy product, you may end up with blotches or red marks if you''ve broken out with a zit any time recently. I use about five or six different AHA and BHA products, but only during the fall and winter. During the summer, I use loads of other skin products. Too many to list.
2.gif

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
I love Dermalogica! Dry skin, so I use the special cleansing gel, skin smoothing cream. I use Clinique All About Eyes as well.

The best thing for dark circles I have found is the YSL Touch Eclat. I look like I''ve had 8 hours sleep at the end of night shift!

Try www.strawberrynet.com as well for skin care. They don''t do samples often, however.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2008 4:38:04 PM
Author: katebar
Mara lots of pople seem to like skinceuticals on the essential day spa forum. IMO don''t waste your money on any of the strivectrin products.

Cellex C products are good as are PSF.

Go visit the forums at essentail day spa I have learnt so much over and everyone is real friendly and extremely helpful EDS forum

Ditto this skin care forum. It is wonderful. I love all the reviews. I enjoy it better than Makeup Alley.
I am almost finished with "Radiance", a line I found through EDS forum. I THINK there has been some improvement.
Mara, I use the Olay moisturizer, the one that foams, I love it. Better than La Mer!
I have dark circles and puffiness that only 2 weeks in Maui will cure, but until that comes, I wish there was a
miracle cure. I''ve tried numerous creams and tricks, everything, nothing works. I even tried the cold spoon trick!!

One thing I like about the above mentioned forum is there is a message board for natural skin care
recipes. It''s fun!

Mara, I don''t won''t to hijack your thread, but while we are on the subject of skin care, I want to warn those who
might use the eyelash liquid growth serums. I was left with blotchy eyelids, flaking skin and pain along my lash
lines. I don''t have sensitive skin, but this stuff did a number on me.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Well, since everyone here is into consumer education (presumably, or we wouldn''t hang out on PS hehe), I have to recommend this website - it has objective, scientifically based reviews of many different products, with additional reviews available if you subscribe to the online search function (for half off a subscription, try the code BP50).

I have to say I have LOVED recommendations from this website and the associated books. I use some of the Paula''s Choice brand products, but also some products from the drugstore on my face, and I get lots of compliments on my skin. I''m extremely fair, and I have sensitive skin and am prone to allergies so I have to be careful.

I''m really into not spending money on something that doesn''t have the scientific evidence to back it up, and screening these reviews really helps me have confidence in what I''m buying. I''d highly recommend checking it out.

There are also general tips and information on specific problems like dark circles, fine lines, etc... and what the latest research is on dealing with specific issues.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Mara: I love the Philosophy line of skin care. Since I started using it, 4 of my friends asked me what I was using & switched to it too. Apparently, I be lookin'' good. LOL.

I started off the the Makeup Optional Kit. Just the regular one...it contained

Purity Made Simple (cleanser & toner in one, omg...if you get no other product, get this cleanser..wins every beauty award from Allure & Instyle)
When HOpe is not enough Serum
When hope is not enough eye & lip cream
Hope in a Jar Moisturizer for all skin types (but I only use it at night...during the day I opt for When HOpe is not enough SPF 25)

You can buy vitamin C powder to mix with the serum. I haven''t yet....but I do like the Microdelivery Peel Pads...it just swipes on a solution of lactic acid to gently exfoliate skin.

I can definitely say my skin has gotten better. I noticed a huge improvement after a month & if I run out for more than a few days, I break out and get dry and oily spots. So I never run out anymore.

Great places to buy:

www.sephora.com
www.philosophy.com

Ok here is a kit ... it has the stuff I listed, but the eye & lip cream is Hope in a Tube. It has a few of the other products I buy extra included, so not a bad deal!

http://www.makeupoptionalskin.com/

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
AmberGRetchen, thanks for that site. I have hyperpigmentation on my face from pregnancy & there was a whole section on what works. I have a doc appt tomorrow to discuss my face specifically & i was going to ask for 4% hydroquinine & retinA (which was highly recommended on this site). I am not in the mood to waste my $$ on otc stuff. for $100 I''d rather get a prescription.

Thanks!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I use Lancome moisterizers, foundation etc.. It is so dry in Calgary, and I need a good moisterizer that has SPF for day and does not feel heavy. I generally like their moisterizers, since they fit the bill.

For cleansers, I go cheap and buy whatever is at Costco. Right now, it is some cleansing puff things. I don''t know. They get the crap off my face, and that is all I need!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2008 7:50:56 PM
Author: MC

Date: 1/27/2008 6:28:06 PM
Author: Mara

Mara,

Since you live in sunny CA, I wouldn''t recommend Alpha Hydroxy products. They work WONDERFULLY on skin, but they require that you wear high levels of sunblock to avoid damaging your skin and if you DO end up getting sun within 1 week of using a Hydroxy product, you may end up with blotches or red marks if you''ve broken out with a zit any time recently. I use about five or six different AHA and BHA products, but only during the fall and winter. During the summer, I use loads of other skin products. Too many to list.
2.gif
HI:

Agreed. I used the 8% Neostrata, and after a while I developed a partial thickness burn. (aka like a sunburn). Perhaps I used it too frequently---so you really have to be careful. I also disliked the scent.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results