shape
carat
color
clarity

sizing frustrations--advice needed!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
hello PSers! I've long stalked this forum for all sorts of useful advice, but never made an account until now. well, I have a question that I've been endlessly fretting over, and no matter how much reading I do I still am not SURE, without any photos for reference! how snug should a ring fit anyway??

so, I'm having my e-ring made by a wonderful jeweler (Mark Morrell!) in another country, and we're getting to the final stages but I'm having difficulty deciding what size I ought to be! I'm going to be wearing this ring by itself, not with the wedding band, so as long as it fits perfectly by itself I'm happy.

the ring I'm having made will be a 2mm comfort fit, and, well, I'm torn on what size I should ask for! I own two size 4 rings, and both fit differently. unfortunately I don't own (and can't find anywhere) a slightly bigger size. all I know is that the 4.5 'ring sizers' at the jewelers are too big (yes, I have been to jewelers, and they either size me as a 4 or say I should try a 4.25, but they don't have anything in 4.25!), and their size 4 'ring sizers' fit similarly to sample #1 below:

Example 1

size 4, 4mm band, flat insides. does that look too tight to you? there's the beginnings of a "ring muffin-top" lol, and taking it off always SUCKS big time! (getting it on is pretty easy, weirdly enough) I have to use lotion or I'd chaff my poor knuckle. I can still spin it when I'm wearing it, so it doesn't seem to be cutting off circulation... but it isn't very attractive! (or is this how rings are 'supposed' to fit? please tell, I don't know!)

Example 2

(as you can see my knuckle is still red and angry from just having the first ring removed!)
aand here's another size 4, but 1.6mm band, flat insides. it fits perfect on the finger, still need to twist a bit to get off but doesn't need cream.

seeing as the actual ring will be 2mm (so bigger than the little band I have, but not by much), and comfort-fit (should fit looser?), would a size 4 suffice? or should I ask for 4.25? I don't plan on taking my ring off very often, so I'm ok with a tight fit on the knuckle as long as there's NO ring "muffin-top" whatsoever! I would rather not have to resize the ring, since it's a very special order and it'll be in platinum. getting it right the first time would be most ideal!

thanks for ANY advice! I'm probably just being a worry-wart. :knockout:
oh, and hi! :wavey:

3.9-2.png

3.9.png

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it should be comfortable to you :) I ordered some cheap bands from Amazon ($3), found one that fit, and then sent that to the jeweler.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can't change the appearance of your hands and a ring's fit has nothing to do with how it "looks" on your finger. It has to do only with how it fits and your preference for how it slides over your knuckles and sits where it belongs when you are wearing it. No one seeing your ring on your finger is going to look at your hand so much as look at the diamond and the mounting. A thin, 2mm comfort fit band from MWM, will work at size 4 if the 4mm band you currently have is just a tad tight. The thinner the ring, the smaller it can be in size, but only a bit, not a big difference until the ring get much wider and a may reuire over 1/2 size larger.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thank you guys so much! that's very reassuring. wish I had a fake copy of an identical ring I could try on JUST to be sure, but yeah I'm probably obsessing now... :rodent:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go based on how the thinner band fits vs. the 4mm band. The width of the ring matters for sizing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having to twist a 1.6mm ring to get it off sounds too small to me. I'd go with 4.25 knowing it may be a bit loose in winter and fit more perfectly in summer.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also get the 4.25 to account for the swelling in the warmer weather.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
oh really? oh crud... so a ring shouldn't have to be twisted significantly to be taken off? it should just sorta pop off with a gentle tug?
also, do fingers really expand with warmer weathers--or just warmer temperatures? I was wearing the ring after a hot shower, and my hands were quite warm in the photos (or do fingers expand even more in the summer??).

so--could you describe what your 'perfect fit' feels like? putting it on, while it's on the finger, when warm vs cold, and taking it off? thanks!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring size varies so much through out the year. In the summer I need to give a little tug to get rings off and often get muffin-top. My finger is more tapered and doesn't dip in a lot below the knuckle. That makes a difference as well. If your fingers are tapered vs. the kunkle being the widest part of your finger.

In the winter I have to be very careful. The same hand that gets muffin top in the summer will loose rings in the winter. In the winter my knuckle in the widest part of my finger and my rings easily slide up to the knuckle and if my hands are down by my side for too long the weight of the ring will just push it that little bit more and it'll slide right off my finger.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thanks for your thoughts! does anyone know where I can try on quarter sizes? I'm now thinking 4.25 would be good for me, but I'd really like to go try it on first! all jewelers I've been to only have half sizes, which is a shame. I live in toronto, by the way, if that narrows it down!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results