shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing for diamond studs?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure where the best place to post this is...please let me know if it should be moved.

I'm considering purchasing a pair of diamond studs, and I'm wondering what the best size might be. I'm going to go with something preset because to be completely honestly, I'm not invested enough in my earrings to search out diamonds and get something made. (My hair is down most of the time and you don't really see my earrings. I just want something nicer than I have now.) I have three holes in each ear, and I'm looking for something for my third hole. Generally, I wear my smallest earrings in my third hole, with something slightly larger in the second and something even larger or dangly in the first hole. I also almost never switch out the earrings in my second and third holes. Currently I wear a pair of cheap Target CZ's in my third hole and a pair of pearl studs in my second.

Given that my third holes house my smallest earrings, and that I basically never take them out or switch them out, what would you consider an ideal size for these studs? I'm currently looking at a few pre-set options from various places... .10ct, .15ct, .18ct., .20ct, and .25ct options. However, I really have no gauge of how these ct weights translate to actual size on the ears. I'm guessing that the .10ct and .15ct options would be super tiny, but thoughts on the others? I want them to be small, but I still want them to be seen.

Eventually, I'd like to also get some diamond studs for my second holes to create a kind of graduated diamond stud look.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I recently received a pre-loved pair of Tiffany Elsa Peretti Diamonds by the Yard 0.16tcw bezel stud earrings - I leave them in 24/7, only taking them out once in a while to clean them - they are comfortable to sleep in - my piercings are assymetrical, so I have one in my third piercing on one ear, and the other is in the cartilage of my other ear. For me, the 0.08ct size of the diamond, with the gold bezel surround, is a perfect size. Here's a couple of pics which may be helpful in terms of gauging size/proportions...

ebay_tiffany_earrings_-_121823368194_1.jpg

img_20151219_184644827_-_xx.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pic of my 0.1ctw (0.05 each) baby bezels in plat (also from Tiffany) - the photo does not do them justice!

They are definitely visible ILR... Drops of twinkle on the lobes. I switch between these and my larger pronged studs frequently ::)

_35952.jpg

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Marymm and Yssie for posting those shots! Your studs are lovely! I'm surprised how .10ctw looks bigger than I expected. Of course, that being said, I'm on this "biggest/most bling for my buck" kick, so I'm leaning towards the .20, .25, or possibly .33 ct. range. Does anyone have any thoughts about these sizes? Is there really that much of a difference between .20 and .25 ct.? What about between .25 and .33ctw? I'm assuming the difference between .20 and .33 ctw is fairly noticeable...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1452464252|3973831 said:
Thank you Marymm and Yssie for posting those shots! Your studs are lovely! I'm surprised how .10ctw looks bigger than I expected. Of course, that being said, I'm on this "biggest/most bling for my buck" kick, so I'm leaning towards the .20, .25, or possibly .33 ct. range. Does anyone have any thoughts about these sizes? Is there really that much of a difference between .20 and .25 ct.? What about between .25 and .33ctw? I'm assuming the difference between .20 and .33 ctw is fairly noticeable...

I love the look of multiple earrings down the ear :love: for your third piercings I'd recommend going as small as possible, vs. as big as possible, though! My favourite look is a graduation from teeny tiny to large - more size differential vs. less.

That said, IMO in these sizes even 0.05ct makes a visual difference, so I definitely expect 0.33ctw to look noticeably larger in-person than 0.25ctw :sun:

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1452464904|3973838 said:
girlyglam|1452464252|3973831 said:

I love the look of multiple earrings down the ear :love: for your third piercings I'd recommend going as small as possible, vs. as big as possible, though! My favourite look is a graduation from teeny tiny to large - more size differential vs. less.

That said, IMO in these sizes even 0.05ct makes a visual difference, so I definitely expect 0.33ctw to look noticeably larger in-person than 0.25ctw :sun:

Thank you Yssie! I think I'm leaning towards .25ctw. I'm can't help but be tempted by .33ctw because I'm definitely struck by the "bigger is better" bug at the moment, but I agree with you abut the more size differential! I think what I'd love to eventually be able to do is .25, .50, and then 1 ct....nice even numbers. ;-)

ssgg

Rough_Rock
well, you can always get various size cheap cz earring to try for size first before getting the diamond ones. the attached pic is a easy conversion chart for you to convert the cz diameter in mm back to diamond carat weight. For example 1ct RB diamond is usually 6.4 to 6.5mm

_35962.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with .20 ctw max and even 15 ctw would be good if you could find it. My younger daughter also wears czs in her second piercings and I think they are more like .05 each.

Here's .20ctw (1/5 ct) from BN for only $189. Probably not the greatest quality, but at that size I wouldn't spend too much more.

http://www.bluenile.com/

BN links don't work, so go to BN, Jewelry, Earrings, Diamond, Diamond Stud Earrings.

Okay, ID Jewelry has .20 ctw for $295 and they say they are F-G color and average SI clarity, so they might be a little better than BN.

http://idjewelry.com/create-your-studs/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ssgg|1452482622|3973980 said:
well, you can always get various size cheap cz earring to try for size first before getting the diamond ones. the attached pic is a easy conversion chart for you to convert the cz diameter in mm back to diamond carat weight. For example 1ct RB diamond is usually 6.4 to 6.5mm

Something is very wrong with the photos on this chart! :lol:

ssgg

Rough_Rock
OOps

they used bloody wrong size diamonds pics. lol. the figures should still be ok though. she just need the mm sizing to convert back to diamond carat weight.

Anyway. the following should be better.

Please note, chart is for single diamond. earrings are usually sold on total carat weight 1ctw = 2 x 0.5carat
diamond

diamond-size-chart.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
001.png

You Can Prefer for the

ROUND ENGAGEMENT RINGS AND OTHER LIKE THAT.​

Stop spamming the forum with this junk peddling seller link. Literally, nobody here is going to buy such garbage - this is PriceScope, so stay in your lane and find somewhere else to shovel that junk.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure where the best place to post this is...please let me know if it should be moved.

I'm considering purchasing a pair of diamond studs, and I'm wondering what the best size might be. I'm going to go with something preset because to be completely honestly, I'm not invested enough in my earrings to search out diamonds and get something made. (My hair is down most of the time and you don't really see my earrings. I just want something nicer than I have now.) I have three holes in each ear, and I'm looking for something for my third hole. Generally, I wear my smallest earrings in my third hole, with something slightly larger in the second and something even larger or dangly in the first hole. I also almost never switch out the earrings in my second and third holes. Currently I wear a pair of cheap Target CZ's in my third hole and a pair of pearl studs in my second.

Given that my third holes house my smallest earrings, and that I basically never take them out or switch them out, what would you consider an ideal size for these studs? I'm currently looking at a few pre-set options from various places... .10ct, .15ct, .18ct., .20ct, and .25ct options. However, I really have no gauge of how these ct weights translate to actual size on the ears. I'm guessing that the .10ct and .15ct options would be super tiny, but thoughts on the others? I want them to be small, but I still want them to be seen.

Eventually, I'd like to also get some diamond studs for my second holes to create a kind of graduated diamond stud look.

i too have 3 piercings in my ears
and im always interested to see how other people style 3 ear piercings so please feel free to post ear shots
i also have long hair but i usually wear my hair up

i made the mistake of buying way too small earrings in that last hole
i think they were .25 TCW
and yes you are right, they were super tiny - i actually lost one (and dont even care) they were soooooooooooooooooo dissapointing

so definatly at least get bigger than the CZ's you currently wear
my advice would definatly go bigger than you think you want
as these are the start of your garduated set i would go with at least .25 (each) maybe try on .3
and beleave me diamond shrinkage syndrone is definatly a thing *

* pearl shrinkage syndrone as also a thing btw
good luck

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Yssie! I think I'm leaning towards .25ctw. I'm can't help but be tempted by .33ctw because I'm definitely struck by the "bigger is better" bug at the moment, but I agree with you abut the more size differential! I think what I'd love to eventually be able to do is .25, .50, and then 1 ct....nice even numbers. ;-)

go for the .33 :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
also im prettty sure our ear lobes actually get larger as we age
i have very small ears

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i will have to fix my phone so i can show you mine !!!:lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are my .5 TCW and my 1 TCW with my diamond huggies inbetween

photo taken 3 years ago when i was having trouble keeping the holes open in the back two so i think my ears were a bit swollen and sore here
1710571822901.jpeg

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
I have 3 different sizes, I wasn't planning to keep them all, but when they arrived I liked each so much I had to keep all the sparkle! They are 1/2 ctw, 3/4 ctw, and 1ctw (to be clear, that's total weight over both ears). They're larger than you're considering but I'd go bigger, DSS is real and you'll get most sparkle payoff with a little larger surface area. I wear mine everyday, most days I wear the 3/4 ctw in my 3rd piercing. I love seeing them in the mirror, for me they are a great balance of bright white flash and rainbow sparkles. Mine are G-H and VS1-2. I never take them off except to clean periodically. The sizes are totally comfortable and appropriate whether I'm casual or dressed up. They are screw backs, for security that's my preference, and they're 14kt white gold. I've had them for about 3 years and so far had no need for replating the rhodium. As seen here, sometimes I don't wear them graduated, just like to mix it up for fun. A bit of advice, if you've never worn screw backs, they can take getting used to. The posts were thicker than I was used to and my earring holes had to stretch a bit. It was a bit painful for first several days, I wasn't prepared for that, but got through it. Also you should check daily that they are screwed in securely, especially if you sleep in them like me. Hope that helps, good luck! Love to see pics when you decide =)2

Attachments

• 20220227_170911.jpg
    20220227_170911.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220227_171109.jpg
    20220227_171109.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220227_152712.jpg
    20220227_152712.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 12
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results