shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing Balls vs Sizing Cushions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have been wondering what the difference is between the sizing balls and the little cushions? Is there a reason for one versus the other? Or the spacing of them in the ring?
Thanks!
Pictures of the Cushions in Jazmine’s Ring for reference:
ring464ja.JPG

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never heard of sizing cushions...what are they?

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I tried the balls, and never got used to the feel of them. I ended up going with a bar, which I don''t even notice. I would imagine that the flatter cushions would feel more like a bar than the balls. They are usually placed at about 8 and 4 o''clock-ish, I think so that you don''t feel them when you curl up your hand.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2005 7:17:57 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna
I''ve never heard of sizing cushions...what are they?
They are the little sqaure pillow shapes on the interior of Jazmine''s ring. Other then that...I am not 100% sure.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sizing cushions may be more comfortable??
34.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Are they metal? plastic? I''m clueless right now as I''m not getting it.
33.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I think the cushions would probably be more comfortable, but that is only a guess.
1.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2005 8:14:33 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna
Are they metal? plastic? I''m clueless right now as I''m not getting it.
33.gif

They are metal, OChi. Little pillows of metal soldered to the inside of the shank, usually to prevent spinning, or if you have large knuckles, the sizing beads/cushions/bar allows enough space to slide over the knuckle, but snugs it up a bit once on. You can also use them to size down an eternity ring.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2005 10:34:15 PM
Author: MrsFrk
They are metal, OChi. Little pillows of metal soldered to the inside of the shank, usually to prevent spinning, or if you have large knuckles, the sizing beads/cushions/bar allows enough space to slide over the knuckle, but snugs it up a bit once on. You can also use them to size down an eternity ring.
Thanks for the clarification! That helps a lot!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the cushions would feel considerably more comfortable versus the balls...and look nicer when viewing the ring.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am wondering how the cushions work to keep it from spinning, are they as effective? Are they harder or more easy to put in place? Why would one be choosen over the other? Can they be placed in eternity rings?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
bumping this thread back up b/c my ring is driving me NUTS with the constant spinning- anyone with more insight on the sizing balls vs cushions?

Mat- have you decided what to do with your ring?

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
I had sizing balls on the inside of my original engagement ring. They kept the ring from spinning, and I only ever noticed them if I was carrying something heavy that hit right on the ring or if I curled my hand up really tight. However, if you think you would notice them, the cushions might be more comfortable because they are wider.

Having said all that, I took the ring to my jeweler once because I had a loose side stone and he said my problem was that my ring was just too big. 1/2 size smaller (with the balls removed) and I suddenly had no spinning problem...

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I just sent my ring back to WF today to have the sizing pads removed and to have a butterfly spring put in. I chose the pads b/c I thought they would be alot more comfortable, being flatter and less obtrusive. Unfortunately, the ring was just too big once I actually got it on my finger so the pads did very little to stop the spinning. The problem I have is that my knuckles are big and so I must get a ring that is too big for my finger just so I can get it on. I decided on the one-sided spring (as opposed to the horseshoe) and I hope that this will solve my problem. I did notice that the pads made removal of the ring harder b/c I could feel them scrape against the back of my finger. This my just be because I have difficulty getting my ring on/off. I now always take it off under running water after I have soaped up my finger. I think the spring might be just what I am looking for because it will open and close when I need it to. I sure do hope my ring hurrys back, I really miss it. I was just starting to get used to it
39.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Can you tell me more about this spring??? My rings are DRIVING me nuts!!! I have large knuckles so my rings always spin a little but especially in the winter I can''t keep them from doing it and I hate those ring snuggy things. How do these springs work? Is it a custom thing?

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Can''t wait to hear more about this spring, my ring is spinnning big time!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have the sizing balls on my eternity bands and wondering if you can only use the cushions when there is enough metal to place a cushion on. I don''t think a cushion would work on a full eternity band - right? Wouldn''t the cushion block the openings on the inside of the band?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I don''t see why you couldn''t have the cushions on the eternity band; they really aren''t any bigger. This thread describes the spring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/should-rings-be-worn-tight-or-loose.34961/=

When I get mine back in a few days, I will let everyone know how it works for me; nothing more annoying than spinning rings. I like to look down and see my diamond on top of my finger, thank you very much
2.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
BTW, Jazmine, I love your ring !

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Thanks very much Ann
1.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Jasmine...I have the same problem...big knuckles...I haven''t taken mine in yet, and have been debating what to do...please let me know how you like the butterfly spring, b/c I think this is what I will need too...I might even do this for my w-ring, and that way it will still fit after I have babies many, many years from now.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Sure thing, maybe it will be just what all of us big-knuckled ladies are looking for.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
How do the springs interact with US cleaners? Will that hurt the springs?
33.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 2:11:27 PM
Author: jazmine
Sure thing, maybe it will be just what all of us big-knuckled ladies are looking for.
jazmine,
I just got my rings and the engagement ring and one of my wedding bands--I have 2--spin something awful. I am highly intrigued with the butterfly spring as well. How do I go about getting that for my problem rings? I really don''t want to have to send them back to Topper''s unless I have to...Please help...
emcry.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
DeannaBana, how easy is it for you to take your rings off/on? If you do so with ease, perhaps they are simply too big, in which case the spring my not work to well. If you take them on/off with difficulty, as I do then I think the spring my be a solution to your problem.

I did send mine back to WF (even though I really didn't want to be without my e-ring) and I would recommend that you have the original jeweler that you purchased the ring from put the spring in, if at all possible. They know your rings and if you think the craftsmanship is very good, you don't have to worry about someone else less talented messing up your rings. Also, WF is quick and very trusted (as I'm sure you know). I know that it's no fun sending your ring back, with the worry and being without it, but if it comes back fitting perfectly, than you can wear it comfortably for years, with no spinning. I just really feel that my enjoyment of my ring is diminished with the constant spinning. I would take it off just because it annoyed me so much. I don't know about your jeweler, but I sent my ring out on Wed. and I should have it back by about next Wed. A week is a very short time to wait for a perfect fit (I hope)
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results