shape
carat
color
clarity

sizing and tension rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Burrogs

Rough_Rock
I am considering a tension ring for my fiance, however, she has an extremely small ring size 3 3/4, and I am afraid that it will look foolish or not to proportion. In addition, I am unsure what carat would be too large for this ring size in a tension setting or traditional setting. I am looking at a .52 eightstar and a kretchmer setting, but am considering a .76 as well for a traditional setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do not buy a TSR as a surprise - involve her.
Have the ring made to the correct size - not resized down.
In smaller sizes they are stronger and more secure - but insure the ring for all risks.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I have been considering having my eightstar re-set in a Kretchmer ring because I love them. I am thinking now that I may go with an interesting, but other than tension set mounting that I will be able to continue to use when I upgrade my diamond to a larger eightstar. I'd put my money in the diamond vs. the setting if choosing anyway. Just my opinion. :)

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Tension settings can look very dramatic, but they MUST be made by an experienced jeweler who knows what he or she is doing. Ask to see some samples, and ask them for references from prior customers.

I would not have a tension setting done in anything but platinum, since it's stronger than gold and less likely to deform under normal wear and tear. While I've seen them in gold, I would not do it that way myself.

As CutNut said, involve your girlfriend--resizing a tension setting is tantamount to recreating it.

Burrogs

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your help with this matter. I have decided against the tension setting for now in exchange for a better diamond, and am looking towards a more traditional setting, perhaps a tiffany 6 prong knock-off. My other question is what carat is typical of a 3 3/4 ring size? I am looking at a .76 eightstar and a .62 eightstar. I assume the larger will look better in a 6 prong setting, but don't want it to look overbearing since she is soo small, although I'm sure she wouldn't mind ;-) Thanks again for all your help.

Burrogs

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your help with this matter. I have decided against the tension setting for now in exchange for a better diamond, and am looking towards a more traditional setting, perhaps a tiffany 6 prong knock-off. My other question is what carat is typical of a 3 3/4 ring size? I am looking at a .76 eightstar and a .62 eightstar. I assume the larger will look better in a 6 prong setting, but don't want it to look overbearing since she is soo small, although I'm sure she wouldn't mind ;-) Thanks again for all your help.

Burrogs

Rough_Rock

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds appear to shrink over time. :) The larger diamond you are considering will not look overbearing. I'm sure it will look gorgeous.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My coworker has very small hands, I would estimate around a size 4, and she has a .80 carat stone that looks to me to be slightly over one carat. The fact that she has such small hands makes the stone appear to be larger. It's set in a regular style 4 prong solitaire setting I believe. It's beautiful.

poopiloo

Rough_Rock
From what I've been discovering, tension settings can never be resized. In fact, they have to be entirely remade to resize them, which is probably not something you or your fiance are interested in. She may have a small ring size now, but after a few years of marriage and having kids, it may not always be that way...

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
This is an old thread...

I believe that Gelin-Abaci will "resize" your ring for $50 - which really means they remake the entire ring for $50.

Not a bad deal, IMHO!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results