shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

STEPHANE00

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
thanks for everyone's contribution to my questions last month, I am glad to say that all has gone well and she absolutely loved the ring I purchased. She, now being my fiancee!

I do have another question, the ring I purchased happens to be too big on her finger. The jeweler said he will resize it when I come back with her.

Is cutting a platinum setting and soldering back together the best method, or should I specify something else such as a ring guard, which to me on such an expensive ring to be a bit absurd.

I thank you all in advance for your help.

Stephane (happily engaged)
:love:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Stephane00, congrads with engagement! :appl:

Hope jewelty experts will help you with resizing question...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A platinum ring can almost always be resized. Normally the metal is welded, not soldered together. No evidence of the seam should be visible at all when it is finished.

marsha_robertson

Rough_Rock
I have my mother's ring which is a size 8 and I need a size 7? What can be done to make the ring fit me without using one of the add on sizers which slide around and are NOT practical?

Also I need some advise. My mom's ring is close to 1 carat. I am afraid that it will be stolen if I take it to someone to work on it and leave it there. Should I have it appraised before and after the work? What do you advise?:wink2:

spectramr2

Rough_Rock
marsha_robertson,

I am in the same situation as you, im afraid someone will replace my stone with an inferior one. There are a couple of things you can do, if you take it to a jewleler whom you havent dealt with, have them look at the stone and draw and mark the inclusions that they see on there and you do the same as well, make sure that they match perfectly. Or, if your stone is IF, then you know that there are no inclusions in there. Secondly, you can try to go to a place where they do their work 'in house' so that you can see what they are doing and know that you are getting your stone back.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results