shape
carat
color
clarity

size vs color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mointampa

Rough_Rock
Hi

All other things being equal, which of the following would be better value?
1.50 D SI2
1.85 I SI1

Assume both are eye clean and the same price, cut, etc.

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 4:44:57 AM
Author:mointampa
Hi

All other things being equal, which of the following would be better value?
1.50 D SI2
1.85 I SI1

Assume both are eye clean and the same price, cut, etc.

Thanks!
It depends on preferences, assuming both are top cut then the best value to me would be larger I SI1!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
To me the I SI1. I is in the near colorless range and SI1 is better clarity. And it's a bigger size. I wouldn't trade all of that to get D. No way.

mointampa

Rough_Rock
thanks for the reponses.
these are the 2 im trying to decide from. I was leaning towards the D until I read the 2 responses above.
http://www.bluenile.co.uk/round-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-i-colour-si1-clarity_LD01058760?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-d-colour-si2-clarity_LD01397605

The 1.81 has a "Very Good" cut but still turns up a really good score on HCA...is that because the cutter has seen something that can''t been shown on the report?

The 1.53 has been verified as eye clean from top and side.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:45:48 AM
Author: mointampa
thanks for the reponses.
these are the 2 im trying to decide from. I was leaning towards the D until I read the 2 responses above.
http://www.bluenile.co.uk/round-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-i-colour-si1-clarity_LD01058760?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-d-colour-si2-clarity_LD01397605

The 1.81 has a ''Very Good'' cut but still turns up a really good score on HCA...is that because the cutter has seen something that can''t been shown on the report?

The 1.53 has been verified as eye clean from top and side.
No, nobody "sees" anything with the HCA, it just takes a few numbers and "guestimates" about the diamond.

Both these diamonds are what are called 60/60''s (measurement of table and depth). Their cut is geared towards lots of brilliance, with a bit less fire. They can be lovely diamonds which some people prefer, but I just wanted to point this out. If you wanted a nice mix of brilliance and fire both, you could look for diamonds with slightly different proportions.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
If all else was exactly equal, I''d go with the second one to get a larger size. "I" color is in the near colorless range so you shouldn''t be seeing any color really. Also SI1 is a better clarity.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I must be a finicky princess. I do love high colour, although once set I''m sure the difference in negligible. I just love being able to look through the side of a sizeable diamond and see crisp, clear brightness! I had the choice between a G and an F which was smaller... and I''m afraid I took the F. Was a slightly better cut as well, though.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with you Lara and tend to lean toward the higher grade colors and love the icy whiteness as well (mine is an E).
30.gif

However Mointampa, I personally would not choose either of the diamonds you have linked to. I have my doubts that the D SI2 would be eye clean (to my standards) after looking at the big knot shown on the table in the grading report.
32.gif
The I SI1 is too low a color for my comfort level in a less-than-perfect cut. I've seen some lovely I colored diamonds, but the cut has always been of superior quality which this one is not, so I'm afraid I'd see warmth which isn't my preference.

I'm not sure if you purchased the D SI2 as the website claims it's no longer available. Good luck if you're still on the hunt!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the icy whites as well, so I''d probably chose a smaller D over a bigger I. I currently have a F that faces up like an E because of a small blue fluorescence, and I like it much better compared to my mom''s much larger, H colored stone.

That being said, my FIRST priority is always cut when it comes to diamonds!! I personally think that an excellent cut makes the stone shine brighter and look bigger :)

Off topic, but if you want a "bigger" look, you can also consider a halo setting. It seems very popular among the gals these days :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, there are stones in F, G, and H color which are colorless or at the top of the near colorless range, and I''d rather have any of these than the two you have posted. I wouldn''t want to go to SI2 to get D color, and I''d prefer not to go to I color, either. There are many, many diamonds out there and I just wouldn''t settle for either of those if I were buying for myself (disclaimer: mine is 1.6 H VS1).

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I will go to the I SI1, not only is bigger, is better clarity as well,

Good luck

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''d take the I, since my diamond is an I, and the size difference is big enough to be visible. But I''m not all that color-sensitive.

justjill

Rough_Rock
I would for sure go for a more colorless diamond over a larger one. Its just a personal preference though.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the 1.5 D color.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If bigger is better is your thoughts, then go with the I. Personally, I''m not a fan of huge diamonds, but even if I were, I''d still chose an I SI over a D SI2, if it meant getting a better deal. Plus, I wouldn''t want an SI2 for an eng. ring.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
All other things being equal, I''d go for the higher clarity and larger size of the I.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Between those two I''d take I color. If I was going to spend the premium for a D, I''d want at least VS clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results