shape
carat
color
clarity

Size or Quality? What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Both are Emerald cut stones. While the first one is 2.19 carat, the second one is 1.52 carat, but the first one is J color and second one is F color. I really want to buy a stone with quality and size, but my girl friend is more concerned about the size, not that she is not concerned about the quality, but she puts size over quality. What should I do? The first stone will look really big compared to the second one (Check out the area). But is it worth going for a J color? Will EC show J color in way that the yellow color is clearly visible?

STONE #1 ($8636)
---------------
Report: GIA
Shape: Emerald
Cut: Very Good (WF)
Carat: 2.19
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 66.6
Table: 62
Girdle: TN-STK
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 9.20-6.20X4.13 (Area: 57.4)
Length/Width: 1.48

STONE #2 ($8147)
---------------
Report: GIA
Shape: Emerald
Carat: 1.52
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 66.2
Table: 68
Girdle: M-STK
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Measurements: 8.14-5.54X3.67 (AREA: 45.1)
Length/Width: 1.47

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
imho, yes, a step-cut such as an emerald WILL show the J color much more clearly than, say, a round...and it doesn''t even have any fluorescence to help mask it.

Sorry.
7.gif

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Does it have to be between these two stones? Maybe you should search a bit more and find 1.8 to 2.0 ct H (or I) for the same money?

If your girlfriend is really into larger stones, I would not buy an F... I think there is a big discount when you move to G, or H, and not much difference in the color. So you could put that extra money to a bigger stone.

I think in general people say H or better is best for step cuts, so I would probably not take a chance on a J.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results