shape
carat
color
clarity

Size of the pearls in this necklace worn by Michelle Obama?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curiousmind

Rough_Rock
I''m a newbie on PS and this is my first post. I wonder if you know the size of the two-strand pearl necklace that Michelle Obama was wearing in these pictures. I would like to get something like this necklace for myself soon. How much do you think this will cost (assuming very good luster and minimal blemishes)? Thanks in advance for your help!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_adICbjC4xYw/Se08Y3lihRI/AAAAAAAAAq4/B5Aq0CwpoIY/s400/michelle-obama-pearls.jpg

You have a few options:

1) use freshwater in 10mm size- this will be the cheapest way, but they will be a bit smaller than what she is wearing
Here is a 17 inch 10.5-11.5 freshwater strand for $1350, so $2700 for a double strand PP linky

2) use SS, but smaller- this link shows you can get A strand that starts at $2k+ but they go up past $10k as well.
PP link

curiousmind

Rough_Rock
Thanks swedish bean for the quick responses. Wow, the price difference for similar size AA+ quality fresh water vs SS is HUGE! I do see quite a bit of color difference in the 2 links that you sent. The FW is more yellowish and the SS is quite white. I really like the SS white color (well, who doesn''t) but really need to think about paying so much more for SS.

Just curious, I wonder if anyone who bought a FW strand and later on got a SS strand again (similar size)?

Just a note- you can usually request the pearls in a certain color or overtone- if creamy yellow is not your thing you could always do white with silver overtone. I''m sure the people at PP love us here--- I almost always recommend giving them a call directly so you can be as specific as you want on the pearls. They seem to have variations available of what is on the site.

What is a budget that you''re willing to work with???

curiousmind

Rough_Rock
The FW strand you recommended x2 will be within my budget. I think the SS strand (AA+ quality) is probably too expensive for me right now, unless there is a huge discount. However, I''m a bit worried that the FW pearls may lose their luster soon. That''s why I''m curious to see if other people switched to SS strand because of that and/or other reasons that I haven''t even thought about. The last thing I want is to spend $3K on a necklace that I would regret a couple years down the road. I would rather spend $6K now on something better that will last longer and I would still enjoy a few years later.

OK, I admit, I''m having DSS right now. Maybe I''ll have PSS in a few years......
33.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2010 3:06:05 AM
Author: curiousmind
The FW strand you recommended x2 will be within my budget. I think the SS strand (AA+ quality) is probably too expensive for me right now, unless there is a huge discount. However, I''m a bit worried that the FW pearls may lose their luster soon. That''s why I''m curious to see if other people switched to SS strand because of that and/or other reasons that I haven''t even thought about. The last thing I want is to spend $3K on a necklace that I would regret a couple years down the road. I would rather spend $6K now on something better that will last longer and I would still enjoy a few years later.

OK, I admit, I''m having DSS right now. Maybe I''ll have PSS in a few years......
33.gif
Honestly, you''re more likely (but still not very) to have the SS lose luster, than the freshies. The best FWs are not bead, but tissue nucleated, meaning they are pearl all the way through. You will NOT wear through the nacre to a bead. Of course, whether you choose FW or SS, you have to take care of pearls. The rule is, they are the last thing you put on, and the first thing you take off. No makeup, hairspray, perfume, banging around in your jewelry box, and you need to wipe them down after every wearing. But really, if you do that, the luster you started with, will stay.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Ksinger is absolutely correct. You have 100% with FW although SS has thick nacre too, compared to akoya. Her advice about caring for pearls are spot on.

I''ve read somewhere that in general the human iris is about 10mm give or take. I know it doesn''t help you much, but it seems the pearls are slightly larger than her iris. So I''d say those maybe very large FW or SS, approx. 12mm.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
She wears real pearls often but she has also been known to wear faux pearls. I remember reading something about it before the election.

Date: 4/12/2010 11:04:13 AM
Author: innerkitten
She wears real pearls often but she has also been known to wear faux pearls. I remember reading something about it before the election.

I believe it!!!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
that''s a fabulous necklace.. if only I had the family income they do :)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another option: 10mm x 10.5mm FW, white with silver overtones, 36" (to double), $875. http://www.americanpearl.com/10x10frop.html

I have ordered several items from AP and have been very happy with the quality and customer service.

curiousmind

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for all your great advice!

Kay, the price of that strand is very reasonable. Thanks for the link!

I know know- to me AAA should be perfectly round to the eye, and those are a little woobly looking??? They have a good return policy though, which is nice!!

Let us know what you decide :)

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
For 10mm pearls, the clasp should be bigger than that rather than fish hook clasp used for small pearls in the 6mm range. Clasp and pearls are not compatible, especially when it''s a rope. The strand is too heavy for it too.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
If you like the strand after you get it, pay someone locally to restring with another clasp, up to you. Or you can ask AP to upgrade the clasp before sending it to you. It should not cost them more than $20 wholesale. But then I don''t know if that constitute custom job and how that affects return.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my Southseas at American Pearl and had a great experience, 10-11mm. Michelle Obamas are a bit larger I would think. The silvery baroques if you want a white look would also do nicely on a double strand, and not cost as much as south seas.

Michelle Obama is becoming a fashion icon, pearls look terrific on her, and all first ladies really, Jackie wore them, Barbara Bush, and going far ashore, Grace Kelly was another - some wear faux pearls, some the real thing, some switch them up - its a classic gorgeous look- worth the investment.

Please keep us posted, pictures mandatory in this forum!

curiousmind

Rough_Rock
I like the AP strand so far, but I don''t like the clasp either. I think I''ll call them to see if they can change the clasp, or better yet, change that strand into a double strand necklace. I''ll call them in the next couple days to see what they can do for me. Will keep you posted! Thanks again!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 12:37:38 AM
Author: curiousmind
I like the AP strand so far, but I don''t like the clasp either. I think I''ll call them to see if they can change the clasp, or better yet, change that strand into a double strand necklace. I''ll call them in the next couple days to see what they can do for me. Will keep you posted! Thanks again!
I bet they''ll be accommodating. They have let me customize earrings (using a setting usually used for akoya for Tahitian instead) and adding hidden connectors to give me strand length flexibility.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
If I was making this purchase, I think I would take myself to a jeweler/costume jewelery store/Ebay to try on pearls in that size range to see how they look on you.

Would you mind baroque pearls? Personally, I love large, baroque akoyas. They throw light like no other. I am seriously in love with these pearls from Pearl Outlet.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
ETA: Those akoyas are 9.5-10mm.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 3:07:43 PM
Author: IndyLady
If I was making this purchase, I think I would take myself to a jeweler/costume jewelery store/Ebay to try on pearls in that size range to see how they look on you.

Would you mind baroque pearls? Personally, I love large, baroque akoyas. They throw light like no other. I am seriously in love with these pearls from Pearl Outlet.
Date: 4/17/2010 3:07:43 PM
Author: IndyLady

IndyLady-

Those natural baroque akoyas are beautiful, but lucky for me, they are also out of stock..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results