shape
carat
color
clarity

Size of solitaire for small fingers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snlee

Ideal_Rock

My honey got me a diamond upgrade this past weekend! I have a size 3.5 ring and a .81 round diamond solitaire, which looks HUGE! It looks like over a carat.

Just wondering, for those of you who have small fingers, what size diamond do you have?

So many people here have a 1-3 carat diamond. I could never wear that.

Any pictures? (Sorry, I have not taken any pictures of my ring yet)

secluded

Rough_Rock
I have a 3.5 finger and even a .60ct look huge.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Compared to you my fingers are big (4.5), but I have a 3 1/4 carat princess solitaire, and it looks just about right (would LOVE for it to be 3.5 cts, but the stone we got was too perfect to pass up!).

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3.5-3.75 and a .78 ct, and yes, at times it looks nicely sized (except when I''ve been staring at it all day, then it doesn''t look so big
2.gif
)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am making a pinky ring ... size 1 ! The thing fits on a pen as well as on my hand. Go figure...

Surely i can understand that 0.8cts is not small at all.

34.gif
as usual, "understanding" means "say it in numbers" for me. In this case, keeping proportions constant, a 0.6 cts on a size 3 ring looks the same as a size 6 ring with a 1 carat diamond on it. Of course this logic will never hold in real life where diamonds can be compared side by side not just in relation with the wearer''s finger.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the crazy math: when % values are matched for two different ring sizes, that means that the corresponding diamond weights look proportionslly similar on the respective fingers (say, 1.5 cts on a size 7 ring and 0.75cts on a size 3 ring look proportionslly the same: the stone''s diameter is exactly 40% of the ring''s )

RBCSizeOnFingerCP.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ana- I see someone''s had their coffee today!
Tell us about your pinky ring.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... this is good news, right ? Well, judge for yourself... This is what the two rings would look like one next to the other.

SizeRealityCheck.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2004 8:35:34 AM
Author: sevens one
Hey Ana- I see someone's had their coffee today!
Tell us about your pinky ring.
Cofee ? It's almost 4pm down here ;-) The ring is no BIG deal - just wanted to have something that small for fun. It is a 22k gold band of slightly triangular shape (so it doesn't spin down on the side of the hand) with a round sapphire set flush on the front. About 6mm wide. Nothing to talk about, really.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Ring size 4, with a 0.71ct regent that has the spread of an average 0.8ct round or 1ct princess.

newcollage.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Shrinkage is a very real phenomenon, though. When I first wore my ring (.82, size 4.25) it seemed huge. Now that I''m used to it I definitely wouldn''t mind a larger stone. Luckily for my budget, though, my set just won''t accomodate anything larger!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ana,

Interesting! What does the black, orange, and blue colors mean?

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Hest88, I know what you mean. When I first put on my ring it looked REALLY BIG! Then after stairing at it for so long, you get used to it. Like mmeowcollins said.

IaMMoYY

Rough_Rock
HI Valeria101, great info. Wish that I had smaller fingers.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
i wear a 4.5 (wore a 4.25 in my late teens early 20s..that was almost 40 lbs ago) and have a one carat solitare(right).

It seemed Goldilocks ''just right'' at first but seems too small now(thanks PS.. heehee).

I tried a 1.5 recently (shown on left) but returned it because it wasn''t large enough. sigh. I''ll have to live vicariously here until we can get a decent (highly subjective term... i know) without cutting too much quality.

My ideal is 2ct+ in a RB, 3-4ct+ in a squared shape... with the next diamond i''m really hoping to stave off shrinkage forever.

Funny. I used to be self-conscious about my fingers and wrists, never thought there''d be an advantage until I got into jewelry.

Thanks for the cool chart Valeria!
34.gif
36.gif

gsep.jpg

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a chart for square shapes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results