shape
carat
color
clarity

Size estimate from photo?

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Hi pearl girls (and guys). My grandma was admiring this necklace in a magazine ad. I'm having trouble guessing the approximate size of these pearls. Any thoughts? I'm thinking of trying to make her some version of this (though unlikely I will get really round pearls). I just want to get the scale as close as possible.
Many thanks!!

img_5206_0.jpg

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
That looks a lot like a photo that used to be on the Mikimoto USA website.

Those are South Sea pearls, and are probably 10 mm minimum. It's at least a 32 inch long rope.

You might want to ask your grandma what appeals to her about the photo. Is it the size of the pearls, or the length of the rope. Or the white on white look. Then play with some beads to see what sort of length and size she likes.

I have a 36 inch rope of 8 mm akoyas and they are heavy. I tried on a long rope of Tahitians once, and it cured me of wanted a long rope of large pearls. Too heavy.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much BWeaves! I was guessing somewhere between 8 and 10 but i know the volume size differences are significant between the two. She likes the length a lot, and the look of pearls (vs the plastic beads they give her to work with at her facility). I was thinking of using potato or rice shaped freshwater pearls to get the lustrous look and length. I was concerned about the weight though!!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
You can get really nice, near round freshwater pearls for not too much money from some of the online vendors (Pearl Paradise, Pearls of Joy, Pure Pearls, etc.). 7.5 to 8 mm will give a nice look without being too overwhelming. 32 inch length is a nice length for a rope, unless she's large, and then go for 36 inch length. If she's petite, go for 30 inches.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your grandma has great taste. I would like the same too. Those pearls glow.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
thanks all! i think one of the main things will be length b/c she complains that the crafts teacher only cuts short pieces of elastic. She's petite but I think 32-33 inches would be good for an endless strand. She has difficulty with clasps (at almost 97). I will look around at PP & POJ but I think my budget right now is more in line with some of the etsy/ebay vendors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results