shape
carat
color
clarity

Size does matter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In today's National Jeweler Online: (don't shoot the messenger)

Survey: Size matters in engagement rings

MARCH 01, 2005 - New York -- When it comes to diamond engagement rings, most buyers prefer their stones as large as possible, reports the 2003 Bridal Fine Jewelry Consumer Buying Survey, reflecting the study's most current results.

More than 40 percent of survey respondents said they planned to spend $2,000 or more for an engagement diamond larger than 1 carat. A full 25 percent of those polled intended to pay a minimum of $5,000 to get what they wanted.

But size was not the sole determining factor in making a diamond-buying decision, respondents said. A third of those surveyed said that cut was their most important consideration in choosing a diamond.

Round cuts remained the most desired diamonds, with princess cuts the second favorite among potential buyers, according to the study.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well my survey says that 100% of the women worth getting married too would say yes even if it was a pebble held in a twist tie presented in a mcdonalds chicken nugget box :}

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I think that diamond shrinkage syndrome (D.S.S.) sets in as soon as you get your ring! Also, nowdays more folks are making more money, bonuses, and doing well in the stock market. So they have more cash to spend to get the ring they desire, or as I say to my DH, the ring of my dreams!
30.gif
[$$)]

Lori-yellowfan

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 7:46
6.gif
1 PM
Author: strmrdr
Well my survey says that 100% of the women worth getting married too would say yes even if it was a pebble held in a twist tie presented in a mcdonalds chicken nugget box :}
Strm I think your standards are a LITTLE high. While I can appreciate the non-material sentiment, I don't know honestly if I would have instantly said yes if Greg got down on one knee, presented a McDonalds chicken nugget box which I then opened to find a pebble tied with a bright green bread twist.

Chances are better I would have taken him instantly to the nearest hospital for a checkup.
9.gif
Oh and of course I still would have married him, but after I got the psychiatric workup back!
31.gif

Note to susceptible proposers...don't test the girl by proposing this way! Give her a puppy instead or something if you feel the urge to think 'out of the box'.
2.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
1 PM

OMG ! LOL! That is the funniest thing I have read in a while on this site - but perhaps because there is some wisdom in there..

3.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If I were a guy, i''d propose with the ugliest ring I can find. If she still manages to say yes, then I''d take out the 2 carat.
11.gif

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Size does matter. I have have three women at work this week ask me how big my diamond is. Can you believe that??? I thought that was supposed to be rude, but I don''t think the realized anything was wrong with asking.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I would rather have a great guy with an ugly ring than an ugly guy with a great ring!! I can always hide my hand in my pocket, but it''s hard to hide your man from friends and coworkers.

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
Strmrdr, you have a point and Mara you need to right a book. You are both too funny. And Fortekitty, I agree, that would be a good test. I''ve had a bad day and now I can honestly say I''m going to bed in a better mood. I didn''t watch the finale or most of the show, but I still enjoyed the discussion and recap. Night, night.....

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 9:58:11 PM
Author: windy1365
I would rather have a great guy with an ugly ring than an ugly guy with a great ring!! I can always hide my hand in my pocket, but it''s hard to hide your man from friends and coworkers.
But don''t you know the ugly ones are ones that try harder in bed?
2.gif
If anyone asks, you can just say he''s got a foot long schlong and knows how to use it... he doesn''t need to make it up in the ring department!
12.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jeeeeeeeeeeesuuuuzzzzz ForeKitty:

I am luaghing so hard I am crying, OMG OMG OMG...
31.gif

This is too funny Kitty but come on this is a public forum..
23.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2005 10:31:44 PM
Author: ForteKitty

Date: 3/1/2005 9:58:11 PM
Author: windy1365
2.gif
If anyone asks, you can just say he''s got a foot long schlong and knows how to use it... he doesn''t need to make it up in the ring department!
12.gif
FK
what about an ugly women do they try harder too? ForteKitty; are you sure you''re a chinese girl?you''re too funny.
28.gif

cobaltgirl

Rough_Rock
6.gif
1 PM
Chris proposed with a braided thread friendship ring. :) I didn''t get a diamond until about two years into the marriage. I gotta say, the thread ring means more to me than the later on diamond!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 6:36:37 AM
Author: cobaltgirl
6.gif
1 PM

Chris proposed with a braided thread friendship ring. :) I didn''t get a diamond until about two years into the marriage. I gotta say, the thread ring means more to me than the later on diamond!
That sure proves that there are some great Ladies left in this world :}

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess size isn''t an issue with me. I tend to think that women who demand and expect something bigger than a carat are really not that into the dude and are more interested in he gifts he will buy them.

Kitty that was the best line Ive read on here ever. I love that comment!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Those who followed Anxious and the following threads might remember that I was literally begging now-fiance to propose without a ring so we could get engaged sooner. And he finally did!!
9.gif
Then, about 2 days before he gave me my "real" ering, I asked when I was going to get one. He responded, "Oh, maybe in 2 or 3 years." And I thought about it for a second or two, and said, "OK!" Just as long as he didn''t wait those 2-3 years to marry me!

And I think (HOPE!!) windy was talking about an ugly PERSONALITY! LOL!

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
I must be an outlier. I asked for a smaller stone than DF suggested. I have small fingers and I wanted colourless/ideal cut rather than a stone with some colour (sensitive eyes). I went happily went from 1.5 to 1.22.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 8
6.gif
0:17 PM
Author: Mara

6.gif
1 PM
Strm I think your standards are a LITTLE high. While I can appreciate the non-material sentiment, I don''t know honestly if I would have instantly said yes if Greg got down on one knee, presented a McDonalds chicken nugget box which I then opened to find a pebble tied with a bright green bread twist.

Chances are better I would have taken him instantly to the nearest hospital for a checkup.
9.gif
Oh and of course I still would have married him, but after I got the psychiatric workup back!
31.gif

Note to susceptible proposers...don''t test the girl by proposing this way! Give her a puppy instead or something if you feel the urge to think ''out of the box''.
2.gif
Too funny Mara - except I know you weren''t kidding! Yep, a trip straight to the hospital here as well.
28.gif
9.gif
My guy''s got to be checked out.

Why is it that there are always two camps? The camp that has to have the big diamond because they just want presents AND the camp that has to be happy with *whatever* a guy gives her. There''s not a whole lot of give and take, epecially in the last senario. How arrogant to assume that she will want whatever you give her? It''s like - you have me that''s *all* you should want.

Isn''t it all about trying to please your future partner in life? I''m not advocating going into debt to propose; but, I would think (as I did) that my future hubby would *want* me to have something nice & special within his means - and put some thought into it.

Oh, I promised myself I wasn''t going into this again. Maybe I should kill the messenger
28.gif
9.gif
11.gif
- and a messenger with a big diamond -
6.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
When I was walking around all those jewelry stores when I was looking, I did eavesdrop. Seemed the overwhelming majority wanted carat size first. Everything else took a backseat. That overwhelming sentiment is a good part of why I broke my budget to get a bigger stone than I had decided on.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Fire &Ice. Is there no happy medium? While I think that a diamond engagement ring is totally a luxury that is not requisite to getting married and women should be thrilled to get one, I also think that a reasonable person, whether giving an engagement ring (or especially when giving an ering) or any other gift, would make a great effort to give a gift that the recipient would like. Why would I buy Shirt A when I know my husband likes Shirt B (and I can afford Shirt B) and Shirt B would make him happier than Shirt A? To me, rings are the same.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2005 8:23:24 PM
If I were a guy, i''d propose with the ugliest ring I can find. If she still manages to say yes, then I''d take out the 2 carat.
11.gif
FK
i don''t think the guy will have a chance to take out the 2 ct because he''ll be SHOT to dead after he trys to propose with the ugly ring.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
The first time my bf and I looked at rings, he thought the first one I tried on was too small -- and it was a big stone!

He''s the one who wants to get a big ring... although, I''m certainly not complaining!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

2.gif
12.gif
lol! I''m laughing my *ss off here, not so much at what you said, but that you actually wrote this!!! lol!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh come on girls stop lieing,have you ever hear a story that a girl said NO i will not marry you because the diamond is too big.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2005 2:27:49 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

2.gif
12.gif
lol! I''m laughing my *ss off here, not so much at what you said, but that you actually wrote this!!! lol!
9.gif
M.C
me too,i''m still in shock....LOL

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
My guy friends usually have the same reaction.
9.gif
I got a ton of PMs and emails this morning... didn't realize my little blunt mouth can have such an effect on people!

(just to clarify, they're not bad emails... people just told me they were falling over in shock.
3.gif
)

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My guy actually asked me the carat weight of most of my friend''s rings. He then said, well we need to get you something that is at least in the range with theirs. I actually would have been just as happy with something smaller. I think there is a pride thing for the guys in the size of the diamond too.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 11:54:48 AM
Author: Sashabella
I must be an outlier. I asked for a smaller stone than DF suggested. I have small fingers and I wanted colourless/ideal cut rather than a stone with some colour (sensitive eyes). I went happily went from 1.5 to 1.22.
I was actually looking at rings that were smaller than a carat because I felt guilty for looking at anything larger than that. I didn''t want him to think that was all I cared about. He on the other hand wanted me to have something to show everyone that I was already taken so he gave me one a lot larger than I had ever expected. It was quite a surprise that''s for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results