shape
carat
color
clarity

Size difference

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at stones online figuring I want to buy around 1ct.

Now as money is always a factor. I''m comparing buying shy vs, full.
I am looking at H&A RBs for a comparison a .921 with a diameter of 6.25
http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_921ct_h_vs2_h%26a.htm

OR A 1.01 with a diameter of 6.5

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_01ct_g_vs2_h%26a1.htm

Difference in size is .25 MM. I haven''t seen either, but i took out a micrometer and .25MM is vitually invisable to me. Is it noticable to normal people?

Also I''ve been looking at colors in the G-H range. Its in the colorless range... is it really white or will I find it with a tinge?

thanks Chris

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
If you put the diamonds side by side, you'd see a size difference.

H, I, and even J H&A's will look great/white set in white gold or platinum so you don't need to worry about color. Color is graded cutlet up/table down in the body of the stone. People view the diamond from the top when it's mounted. A great CUT diamond appears whiter than it's actual color grade loose. Most diamonds appear whiter once mounted than their actual color grade.

If you want bang for your buck, why not consider a very nice, eye clean SI1? You pay a premium for VS clarity. SI could get you the larger size for the same $$$$. You can even comfortably consider I or J color. Check out the Show Me the Ring portion of the Forum. There are more than a few I colors there and one guy got a 3 stone all J color that is to die for.

Just some thoughts for you.
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at a great many diamonds when I was shopping for my Nephew's engagement stone, and yes, there is a difference, even when set...not a popular opinion, but there it is. We compared a .92 to a 1.01 and could definitely see the difference (set). I have a 1.90 ct 8mm stone that next to a full 2 ct 8.16 mm, does indeed look smaller. I doesn't matter that mine is a better cut, it simply has a smaller diameter. If size is what you want, anything over 5 or 6 points difference will show. But hey, just my 2 cents.

Oops, edited to say .93 above!
10.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
side by side maybe 6 inches apart not likely.

As far as the color goes side by side with a whiter stone you might notice it otherwise likely not.
From the top under most light I cant see the difference between i and G in a good cut diamond when mounted.
If its mounted in yellow gold very very few people would be able to tell them apart thats why color has to be graded un-mounted anything else is a guess.
So my advise is if its going in a yellow gold ring dont worry about it otherwise go a local shop and compare colors for yourself.
Step back away from the counter to get out from under the display case lighting when comparing them.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Chris: I'd vote for the .92 stone. The size difference is noticeable......IF you place them side-by-side....but that's not how your ring will be viewed. When worn alone in a setting, I'd practically guarantee the .92 will appear like a 1 ct. stone.....and it will ABSOLUTELY appear bigger than 1 ct. "maul" stones!

There is a HUGE difference in the price per carat of these (the .92 stone runs $5026 per carat; the 1.01 runs $6609 per carat).

If you want it to look like a 1 ct stone *in person*, get the .92. If you want it to look like a 1 ct. stone *on paper*, pay the steep premium and get the 1.01.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Holy Moly. Is the 1.01 stone really 1600 more? Yes, the .92 will look smaller. But, will the larger 1.01 stone look 30% bigger. I think not.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If I were in your shoes, I'd want to get at or over the one carat mark. The difference in size would be noticeable to me. I would drop the clarity to an eyeclean SI2, and go with an H colour. Maybe even an I. VS2 clarity is overkill, given your size/cut parameters & budget.
1.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Chris,

I was looking at that exact same 0.92 H VS-2 stone when we were choosing our stone a couple of weeks ago. I talked to Jonathan and asked him if there was a difference in size between that and a full carat. He said that there was, a little bit. However, I do think that in reality no one in a million years but you would notice the difference in size. Regular people are definitely not as keen as the people on this forum, so it would look like a carat to them unless they started comparing or something. I chose a one carat H SI-1 simply because I had hang-ups about having to have one carat. For me, the one carat was important ...even though the importance was not necessarily rational.

Christen at Good Old Gold just sent me pictures of my H SI-1 set in platinum, and it looks really white and lovely. For us, it was a great compromise. I mention this simply because I know that Jonathan has as least one other one carat H SI-1. Furthermore, I saw a 0.98 H SI-1 on there today. That stone is SURE to look like a full carat, but you'd have to inquire as to how eye-clean it is.

In the end, it all comes down to budget. When it comes to the two stones you mentioned, there will be a huge price difference between the one carat G VS-2 and the 0.92 H VS-2.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------

Difference in size is .25 MM. I haven't seen either, but i took out a micrometer and .25MM is vitually invisable to me. Is it noticable to normal people?

thanks Chris ----------------

Remember how to calculate the surface area of a circle? Area = pi x radius x radius. The surface area of the smaller stone will be 30.66. The surface area of the larger stone will be 33.16. All other things being equal, the larger stone will appear to be 8.17% larger.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
If you compare the two side by side, you'll probably be able to pick out the larger one. However, if you were just looking at the diamond individually, the size difference is hard to tell. That is, if a person were to casually look at the .92 ct, they won't be able to say "that's a .92 ct diamond not a 1 ct diamond".

So you have to ask yourself whether a full carat weigh diamond is worth the extra money.

As for your question on noticeable color difference between G and H - when faced up, it is hard to distinguish. Some folks are able to detect the slight yellow of the H but the majority will probably not be able to. It all depends on how good your color perception is.

rodent.gif

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
Well I will obviously be checking out stone sizes at the store, I just wanted the opinions, which seem varied.

I will be setting whatever i get in Platnium with sidestones. which i didn't mention before, but should have.

I'm seriously considering the smaller stone just for the fact that the extra 8/10s costs $1600. I'm also figuring that most 1ct stones out there aren't ideally proportioned and therefore, even though they have weight on me, they probably won't be all that much bigger. Bad logic? maybe I need to check out malls stores and find out what they're selling.

I really have to get my sorry self out there and look, instead of askin questions.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Getting out and looking is always a good thing. Just remember, that many of the stones you will look at in the mall stores will be deep - therefor will appear smaller.

Good luck. I'm with you. While it's nice to have that carat mark, I don't think a 30% premium is worth it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/10/2003 5:11:32 PM Chrisk327 wrote:

I'm seriously considering the smaller stone just for the fact that the extra 8/10s costs $1600.

Yup.....I have to agree with this....except it's 8/100s instead of 8/10s!!!!!!!

I'm also figuring that most 1ct stones out there aren't ideally proportioned and therefore, even though they have weight on me, they probably won't be all that much bigger. Bad logic?

No, it's absolutely the right logic and precisely why I mentioned this above. Because "maul" stores aren't ideally cut, a 1 ct mall store is likely to only be 6.25mm as well....it carries the rest of weight in the pavilion or in thick girdle.

Look, carat is a WEIGHT, not a size. A 5 lb. box of nuts & bolts measures about 12"x12"x12". A box with 5 lbs of air filters in it may be the size of an electric range. The second box is bigger, but both weight the same.

As F&I notes, the 1 ct is reaching the carat "mark"....a status thing....and it's nice to have, but do you really want to pay $1600 more just to SAY it's a carat? (especially when most people will think it's a carat anyway and it looks just as "big" as a carat? Here's a hint...call it a carat anyway!)

Crazy.....I'd positively go with the .92.

----------------

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/10/2003 5:40:24 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------
On 11/10/2003 5:11:32 PM Chrisk327 wrote:

Crazy.....I'd positively go with the .92.

----------------

To a layman, it is if you are rounding. It's certainly closer to 1c than 3/4. Some people find that they *must* have that mark & technically a jeweler can not call a .92 stone a 1c. But, your not a jeweler. 1c it is!
----------------

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
-------
Difference in size is .25 MM. I haven't seen either, but i took out a micrometer and .25MM is vitually invisable to me. Is it noticable to normal people?
-------

You are, perhaps, suggesting we are "normal" people? Indeed!!! It's certainly the size of most of the carats out there. I dare someone to call you on it if you call it a carat.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I agree with those who have said that no one will be able to look at that ring and know that it's not a carat ... who would know that it's a .92 ... to me, that's impossible. And of course, if asked, I would say it's a carat ... most people don't go around saying that their stones are .9 let alone a .92 ... they just say that it's "a carat" ... which is what I would say.
1.gif

Of course if you put the stones side by side, you will notice a difference, but luckily you won't be buying both stones for your fiance to wear side by side.
2.gif

Normally I am a size girl, but here, it doesn't make sense to me.

Good luck!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results