shape
carat
color
clarity

Size difference between 0.5ct & 0.69ct Princess cut

ribuck

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Newbie to the forum so firstly hello to everyone.

I've been looking on the forum and have seen some great photo's of different rings sizes on actual fingers, and hoping someone can help so i can see a real world example of 2 rings side by side on someone's finger.

If anyone can help with a photo of a .05ct Vs approx 0.69ct princess cut side by side on someone finger then i would be eternally grateful.

Rich.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just check the length and width in mm. There are many ways to cut a princess and larger carat weight do not equate to larger face up dimensions.

ribuck

Rough_Rock
I guess I'm just looking for an average representation of the difference in size between the two stones.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ribuck|1310471677|2967090 said:
I guess I'm just looking for an average representation of the difference in size between the two stones.

but 'average' might not help in your case if you are comparing 2 specific diamonds. Do you have the dimensions in mm?

ribuck

Rough_Rock
no i dont have the dimensions, that's why i'm trying to just get a rough idea

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Use the virtual data base to find some stones with those specs and compare their dimensions.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Carat is a weight measurement rather than a face-up size measurement. In general, at the same carat weight, the greater the depth, the smaller the face-up dimensions. The problem with princess cuts is that the depth varies a great deal from stone to stone, so it's hard to say how big a 0.5 or 0.69 ct stone would be on average. You could have a shallow-cut 0.5 that faces up the same size as a deeply-cut 0.69, at least theoretically. But if I were to take a stab at it, I guess I'd say a 0.5ish stone would be about 4.5mm square, and a 0.7ish stone about 4.75mm.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
The easiest way to do this is to go to an online site with tons of stones listed, find some stones with ideal cut (close representation of size) and then take the measurements of them.

If you want to see, just use a draw tool on any software, or just draw a shape with the sizes you input on microsoft powerpoint or word and print it out. Make sure you print to 100%, and that you remove the outline for the shape and you can visually see the size. The actual gems will look very slightly larger to the eye due to their optical properties in layman terms.

Or download bluenile's carat sizing chart

Or call the vendor you are interested in to do a side by side photo for you so you can see the sizing relative to each other.

Or walk into a B&M store without your wallet and ask lots of questions.

Lots of ways to do this.

ribuck

Rough_Rock
Jesus,

Wish i had never asked now..........it's like pulling teeth with you lot.

All i was after was a photo of someone wearing those approximate size rings side by side on a finger.................how hard can i be when i've already seen lots of other similar images on here where traders have posted comparison photos......

I give up, thanks everyone, you've been absolutely no help at all.......... :nono:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
ribuck|1310750960|2969762 said:
All i was after was a photo of someone wearing those approximate size rings side by side on a finger.................how hard can i be when i've already seen lots of other similar images on here where traders have posted comparison photos......

Right... it is MUCH easier for someone to have two similar rings with those dimensions in their drawer and nothing better to do than to set up a camera and take pictures of them on a finger of random thickness to show you a photo with no scale than it would be for you to look up measurements.

Speaking of random thickness...

I know I shouldn't have replied, but I couldn't resist.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Wow, can you say "ungrateful" and "disrespectful?" We're offering the best advice we have. First of all, few to none of us have two princess-cut stones of those exact sizes set in rings. Trade members, maybe, but the stones would be loose rather than set, and it's also hard to find a size like 0.69 because most stones are cut to get over a certain "round"-numbered weight, like 0.7 for example. Second, reread my post about variation in princess cuts. Two random ones of those carat weights may not look anything like the ones you're considering.

ETA: PS is supposed to be a positive place, by the way, and the first impression you've made is going to turn all of us off. I'm also generally a polite poster, but I'm not afraid to speak up when I feel personally insulted as I do here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results