shape
carat
color
clarity

Size and Metal Type of Ering and Wedding ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tara.chris

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

My ering is a tiffany set solitaire 1.52 carats in platinum. My wedding ring is set in 14K white gold and is a shared prong setting 1.28 carats. I got the ering in a size 6 and the wedding ring in a size 6.25. Will having different types of metals for the ering and wedding ring cause any problems or concerns?

Thanks!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would not wear gold next to platinum. Eventually, one of them may wear against the other and damage the ring.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/20/2006 10:11:18 PM
Author: jazmine
I would not wear gold next to platinum. Eventually, one of them may wear against the other and damage the ring.
That''s what I heard too. BUT a jeweler told me that I could do it. I decided NOT to mix metals.

Why don''t you ask a jeweler or appraiser that you''re NOT buying one of the rings from to be sure?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 10:11:18 PM
Author: jazmine

I have heard the same.

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
I found this article, but I don''t know the expertise of the person who wrote it (other than he''s been a bench jeweler for many years).

http://experts.about.com/q/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals-689/Platinum-verses-White-Gold-1.htm

I was in the same position as you before. Heck, I even asked my chemistry professor! Unfortunately, he didn''t give me much help, other than, "these metals (gold and Pt) are made to be inert because they are made for everyday wear, otherwise, they will react with EVERYTHING." He referred me to another professor who specializes in metallurgy but I never got to ask that other prof, so I decided to play it safe and stick with gold and gold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results