shape
carat
color
clarity

Size advice please! - 5 Stone - 1.5cttw or 2.0 cttw - Size 8.5 RHR

Nolan B

Rough_Rock
Thank you to all those that have helped me select the 5 stone ring for my upcoming 20th wedding anniversary gift. I have also selected a highly recommended jeweler to work with as well based on your feedback. The final decision I need to make is whether to go with 30 pointers or 40 pointers. I'm having a difficult time deciding, so I figured I would turn to this community for thoughts and suggestions. I chose a uprong wg setting. Her RGR size is an 8.5. My hopes is that she will wear this ring daily, so it needs to be very comfortable though I want to maximize coverage. I plan to finalize the plans/purchase on Monday, so I am hopeful for some feedback over the weekend. Thank you for your time and response.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with .40 for a two carat band. I wear a 5.5 so I am sure it would be a good size for her. My setting is lower than the uprong setting though. I just wanted the end diamonds to curve around with no prongs between my fingers to be uncomfortable. This is a shared prong setting and the diamonds don’t sit up high.
1707597587819.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpeg
    IMG_0676.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0677.jpeg
    IMG_0677.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I also chose 0.40 for a 2 ctw band, and wear a size 5.5. I think it gives great finger coverage. I have an open basket setting and the stones follow the curve of my finger, so it is very comfortable for everyday wear.

IMG_1101.jpeg

Nolan B

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for sharing your thoughts and photos. I appreciate you taking the time. Considering the number of 5 stone owners and views, I'm surprised that more opinions have not been shared. Hopefully others will take a few seconds out of their day to share as I only have until tomorrow morning to decide.

Last edited:

Nolan B

Rough_Rock
Go big! Not a big difference in terms of comfort for size 8.5, but the difference in visual impact is huge.

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This is a big anniversary(congratulations, by the way) and if you can go with .40, then I would do that. It will be tastefully stylish forever, that's a ring.
We would love to see pictures when all is said and done.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed. Assuming they both fit in your garage.

It's like flat-screen TVs. I can't recall a thread where someone here was lamenting that the diamonds in their eternity ring, tennis bracelet, or riviere necklace were disappointingly large and they so wish they had opted for the smaller ones. (There is of course a limit to this thinking but most of us mortals do not encounter it.)

Nolan B

Rough_Rock
This is a big anniversary(congratulations, by the way) and if you can go with .40, then I would do that. It will be tastefully stylish forever, that's a ring.
We would love to see pictures when all is said and done.

Thank you so much. I will definitely be posting pictures once available. I believe that recognizing the jeweler and those that helped with the vision is a must!

Nolan B

Rough_Rock
Agreed. Assuming they both fit in your garage.

It's like flat-screen TVs. I can't recall a thread where someone here was lamenting that the diamonds in their eternity ring, tennis bracelet, or riviere necklace were disappointingly large and they so wish they had opted for the smaller ones. (There is of course a limit to this thinking but most of us mortals do not encounter it.)
Thank you...this made me laugh. I agree, I don't believe I have seen any regrets for going larger thus far in my time on PS. I just want it to look delicate, beautiful and not over the top by going too large. Budget is not a factor, just beauty and her comfort.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Chiming in as a size 8.5 myself, I definitely vote for 0.40's. The visible span at the top of my ring finger is roughly 20mm, so assuming 0.40's are in the neighborhood of 4.7mm each, x 5, plus prongs, that should provide her with lovely coverage.

Nolan B

Rough_Rock
It‘s unanimous then…40 pointers it is! Thank you everyone for taking the time to provide your thoughts, guidance and photos. I will post photos of the ring in a couple of months once received.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
40 pointers for sure! She has the finger real estate so she will love the extra bling from larger diamonds. Bigger diamonds have bigger facets which is better to look at and enjoy the sparkle!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It‘s unanimous then…40 pointers it is! Thank you everyone for taking the time to provide your thoughts, guidance and photos. I will post photos of the ring in a couple of months once received.

Excellent! It will be beautiful!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I wear mine as a right hand ring as a size 5 finger and mine are 1/2 carat each, definitely bigger! Congratulations on your anniversary!

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
I don't have any photos on hand but another vote for going big! I have 40 pointers and my finger size is 4.25 I believe and wear it on my right hand as well. I haven't regretted the size at all though I've felt that it over-powered my original e-ring (in my opinion though my DH doesn't think so). No big deal, and I just don't wear it together but just wanted to share the one aspect of 40 pointers that I didn't figure out beforehand until I wore it more overtime.

I'm a big supporter of 5 stone bands and it is by far the easiest to wear out of all my rings. I generally reserve it for the weekend when I'm out and about doing more things with my hands. Very comfortable and it doesn't spin. Can't wait to see the end result! Congrats on the anniversary and what a sweet DH you are!

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also chose 0.40 for a 2 ctw band, and wear a size 5.5. I think it gives great finger coverage. I have an open basket setting and the stones follow the curve of my finger, so it is very comfortable for everyday wear.

IMG_1101.jpeg

Totally off topic...Just wanted to say how beautiful your bedspread is! I have matelassé coverlets on two beds at our house and love them so much!

On topic...Love your 5 stone ring, too!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Totally off topic...Just wanted to say how beautiful your bedspread is! I have matelassé coverlets on two beds at our house and love them so much!

On topic...Love your 5 stone ring, too!

Thank you on both counts. It's the only place in the house that has a solid color/neutral back round, where I can sit and keep the camera/phone/iPad steady. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results