shape
carat
color
clarity

Size 5 finger. ?

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
She's got a size 5 finger. What's the average sized finger? Is 5 considered smaller?

I'm wondering if I can sacrifice carat size for other factors based on my budget.

How Would a .5 carat solitaire compare on a size 5 vs size 7 all things being constant?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes a 5 is considered smaller.

As for if yoy can sacrifice CTW? Depends on your significant other. Does she want a big diamond? Does she care about stuff like clarity? How high do you feel you need to go in color and clarity?what's your budget?

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
That's a pretty cool website. Thank you

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Budget $3000. She doesn't care about the size. Cut is número uno.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duke1199|1415582885|3780353 said:
Budget $3000. She doesn't care about the size. Cut is número uno.
Looking at your other post, I have to say I agree with other posters that say a d IF is major overkill.

I'd probably do a g vs. I'd also probably do a tiffany repro I'd tour doing a solitaire. The Tiffany solitaire looks amazing with every size stone

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Yea and a D If is costly.

I was trying to find a Canadian diamond but I found them very difficult to locate so I sorta gave up looking. It would be nice to get one though.

I was thinking of doing a halo setting on a round

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
Is 3,000 the total budget, or the budget for the stone only? And is that 3k USD?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a .5ct round on a size 5 finger. The shank of the ring is 2mm.

fullsizerender_13.jpg

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
3k USD for the stone. I'm figuring another 2k for the setting. Would a halo in a platinum setting be around 2k?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is she colour sensitive, did she request an ice white D coloured diamond? The average person (we are talking a high percentage here) cannot tell the difference between a D and an F or even a G. They can however tell the difference between a smucky cut D and a top cut G. The G in that instance, will have more fire and therefore be more visually appealing. Cut is what gives a stone the sparkle and fire, not colour.

I am a between a 4.75 and a 5.00 so a 4 and 7/8ths on my ring finger and around a 5 on my right hand and I'd go for a larger .70 or bigger F or G coloured diamond personally otherwise anything much smaller is going to be swamped in a halo IMHO.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1415590198|3780405 said:
Is she colour sensitive, did she request an ice white D coloured diamond? The average person (we are talking a high percentage here) cannot tell the difference between a D and an F or even a G. They can however tell the difference between a smucky cut D and a top cut G. The G in that instance, will have more fire and therefore be more visually appealing. Cut is what gives a stone the sparkle and fire, not colour.

I am a between a 4.75 and a 5.00 so a 4 and 7/8ths on my ring finger and around a 5 on my right hand and I'd go for a larger .70 or bigger F or G coloured diamond personally otherwise anything much smaller is going to be swamped in a halo IMHO.

I was thinking the same in terms of halo. If she requested a halo, I'm all about getting her what she wanted, but at your bidget you might be better off, aaesthetically, with a solitaire.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i think a .5 in a halo will probably look a little "cluster"-ish....it will be swallowed up

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1415623988|3780527 said:
i think a .5 in a halo will probably look a little "cluster"-ish....it will be swallowed up

Would a .6 size be better? Or not look at clustered?

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Niel|1415622455|3780515 said:

I was thinking the same in terms of halo. If she requested a halo, I'm all about getting her what she wanted, but at your bidget you might be better off, aaesthetically, with a solitaire.

Would I find savings in a cushion cut vs. round all things being constant? I know she likes both...

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
You'll get more carat weight for the money, but cushions face up smaller. So you really don't get anywhere....You can look back at that link I posted for you and compare rounds and cushions side by side. Also, I think a .7ish sized stone looks good in a halo, as long as you don't swamp it with large melee diamonds.

Cushions are an entirely different beast in themselves as far as picking one out.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is what 1.7 carats looks like on a size 4.25 finger:

shady2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duke1199 said:
Niel|1415622455|3780515 said:

Would I find savings in a cushion cut vs. round all things being constant? I know she likes both...
Honestly it depends on the halo. Here are two examples, both are right around half ct. The bezel one is a Cartier repro, and just about my favorite ring in PS. The second is from IDJ, its still lovely, but does not accentuate the stone like it might on a larger center

uploadfromtaptalk1415729575092.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1415729586290.jpg

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
i was going to suggest bezel the center stone in a halo, but Niel beat me to it. A bezel setting alone, no halo, is also a great look, makes the diamond look larger, and is sasy to wear.

Illusion setting in another great vintage look from the '40s and '50s. Durable, protects the stone well, makes it look big, and is also very comfortable for daily wear. The Stuller illusion head for a 5.8mm diamond (about 3/4ct) has an outer diameter of 7.5mm and the one for a 1ct diamond is 8ct OD, the diameter of a 2ct diamond. The extra metal just adds some "illusion" to the size. In my experience, it's like a roll cage for the diamond, too. I have destroyed Tiffany type prong heads more than once but the Stuller illusion head can take my abuse. lol I attached a pic. The shank can be whatever you want, it doesn't have to be plain.

Thread of under 1ct diamonds:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/page-74']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/page-74[/URL]

For sz 5, don't waste money on a lot of diamonds in the shank. In that small of a ring, you can't see much of the shank before it disappears down underneath the finger. diamonds in the top half of it, at most. Anything else is just going to be hidden / wasted.

_24046.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the insight.

I like the look of the halo bezel.

Does it allow for enough light to shine through the center stone?

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Would a .6-.7 stone in a halo with split shank band with diamonds be overwhelmed? Either bezel halo or normal(?) halo?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duke1199|1415751602|3781644 said:
Would a .6-.7 stone in a halo with split shank band with diamonds be overwhelmed? Either bezel halo or normal(?) halo?
Hmm...it would have to be delicate. And my concern is, your budget for a platinum slit shank halo will have to be probably 3.5+

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
She likes halos and the solitaire would be too simple for her.

I could squeeze out a few extra dollars for a split shank halo if it makes sense with .6-.7 center stone. I'm not sure if the center stone is too small for that type of setting or even how it looks.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duke1199|1415754096|3781665 said:
She likes halos and the solitaire would be too simple for her.

I could squeeze out a few extra dollars for a split shank halo if it makes sense with .6-.7 center stone. I'm not sure if the center stone is too small for that type of setting or even how it looks.

She has indicated she likes halos or she specifically likes split shank halos?

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Halos AND split shank halos. More so the latter

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results