shape
carat
color
clarity

Size 4 Ring - How many Carats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nychk

Rough_Rock
My gf has size 4 finger ..Any ideas on how many carats would be ideal ? She works in an office all day so needs to be convenient to wear while typing etc..

Mrs.soontobealfonzo

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.55ct and i have no problem typing with it at all. To be honest I wouldnt matter. I would work out my hand to lift a 4ct. lol

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
More importantly, what size does your girlfriend like? It is all about what she is comfortable wearing. That said, I have seen a 2.5 finger with a 3 caret. Many PS''ers are all about the size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that she should express what size range she is comfortable wearing. If you have to surprise her, then find out what size diamonds her sisters and friends have. I think one carat is always a nice, safe size unless you live in NY or Beverly Hills, or something.

lovebug

Rough_Rock
I have attached a picture (I think!) of my e-ring. I am a size 4 as well. The center stone is 2.21 cts just to give you an idea of what it will look like. She is lucky to have small fingers because pretty much any size stone will look very substantial!

The main question is what is she comfortable with? For some girls it is "the bigger the better" and for others, regardless of how much money they have, they want something a little more subtle and subdued. It really is what matters to her.

The other ladies are right in that it matters where you live. I am in NYC and many of my friends have similar size rings, and I am sure the same is true for LA. Take a look at her girlfriends'' rings, or her co-workers'' rings. If they are all .5 cts then she may want something similar. On the contrary, if they are all 2+ cts, then she may prefer something like that. It really is a personal preference.

Good luck to you!

eringasfasdg.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a good rule of thumb is what size the diamonds are around her. what size do her friends and female family members have. my original e-ring was 1 carat and a very nice size but also the average size of the gals in my social circle.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buy her what she would like and what is in your budget regardless of her finger size. If you don''t have an idea, I would go try on some various sizes and see what *she* thinks looks good on her. Size is very personal.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I work with my hands and I wear .55 size stone. My co-worker has a 1ct. princess with diamonds going down the sides. I am quite comfortable with this and believe me, sometimes I bang my ring around. So far so good.

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
I have a size 3 finger and wear a 1 carat sapphire. Most girls around here wear a 1 carat. So yeah, I''ll repeat what the others have said, check out what the women in your gf''s circle are wearing. Or even better, have her try on rings to ascertain what she''s like. Or ask her friends, perhaps they have an idea of ur gf''s preferences.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
lovebug,

Love the ring!
What size are the diamonds beside your huge rock :) I''m getting a 2.2 centre stone and thinking about side stones but am confussed with what size they should be. Yours looks perfect.
Do your smaller diamonds go all the way around, and how many of them are there in total? Do u have a closer up view?
Thanks!

lovebug

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sharr! I love it too. Just going on vacation tomorrow and I am charging the camera and have to get to packing, but I will take pictures when I get back. I think I posted this one and another one in the engagement ring forum section earlier this week. Just a close up with my hand in my jeans pocket. I am not 100% sure what size the stones are, but it is 0.8 carats I believe and there are 18 stones all the way around (eternity) - keep in mind I have a size 4 and it will be higher carats if you have a larger finger. My fiance had it custom made by his uncle based on a picture off of whiteflash (the Full eternity diamond engagement ring). This is the picture below from their site. I am also getting the eternity band for my wedding ring. The only thing to note about eternity bands is that they cannot be sized, so if you change size you''re stuck. I know whiteflash offers a 3/4 eternity as well! I love taking pics, so I will take lots when I am back!

eternity12345.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovebug

Would love to see a pic of your ring from the side, it is beautiful and looks huge.
30.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have to go against the "get what her posse has" approach. Each person is different. I know friends who have teeny tiny rings because a diamond ering just isn''t what they''re into. And others I know have small-medium rings, and some larger. It all depends on the individual person, IMO. There tends to be a "bigger is better" mentality sometimes (maybe its because we see so many celebs and their huge rocks?) and to be honest, I''d take a smaller D/flawless over a bigger included stone any day. But again, that''s just me. It''s all individual. Why dont you take her window shopping and see what she gravitates towards?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 3:11:23 PM
Author:nychk
My gf has size 4 finger ..Any ideas on how many carats would be ideal ? She works in an office all day so needs to be convenient to wear while typing etc..
oh she''s got to have at LEAST 4 carats. I think the rule of thumb is one carat for every number in the ring size. I''m expecting my 8 carat stone soon ;-)
11.gif
9.gif
12.gif
okay okay... so the truth is - there is no rule, whatever you want, from 1 point to 10 carats should be fine... something around 1 carat would be great :)

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
I think it also depends on what shape you are looking at. A round is going to cover a lot more finger than a princess for example. I also think it depends on what kind of setting you are going to put it in.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah.... Don''t forget to let us know what you decide!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I have a size 4.25 and wear a 1.3 carat ring, and it looks "right", if you know what I mean. Plus, we live below 14th St (not many e-rings, full stop), whereas on the UWS/UES, women my age tend to wear bigger stones.

Is she works in an office, I''m guessing she''s corporate, so size is probably what will satisfy her most.

luvsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi there! I say go with what she would feel good in wearing. I wear a size 5 and my ering has a .40ct center stone but it''s flawless,,, with .35ct in the band,,, and it''s perfect for me,,, because I hate the thought of doing anything without my rings on,,,, so see what she could be herself wearing,,, be it a .20ct or a 10ct like said before,,, and everything will be perfect!!!
5.gif

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think I have ever purchased a diamond based on the size of other peoples stones.

A well cut diamond is a thing of beauty at any size.

I have a ring size of 4.25 and would have no problem typing with a 10ct D IF fancy shape , but probably wouldn''t do much typing..

The deciding factors for me, when choosing a diamond are shape, cut and purchase price.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
sparkles, you cracked me up with that! Thanks! You''d probably get into a car accident before you even got to work anyway!

beaming

Rough_Rock
4.5 finger with 1.37 center stone and .5 sides. It is absolutely perfect and I wouldn''t want to go any bigger.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely ask her what she wants, and have her try some on. I''m a 4.25 and once tried on a 2 carat and thought it was tooo big, also I really want a halo and wouldnt want to put one on a stone too large because it would be TOO much, IMO. My friends have 3 carats & 2.5, so you''d think i''d want something humongous, but in reality i think a 1.5 with a halo would be perfect. It''s definitely an individual thing.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 5:56:53 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 3/13/2007 3:11:23 PM
Author:nychk
oh she's got to have at LEAST 4 carats. I think the rule of thumb is one carat for every number in the ring size. I'm expecting my 8 carat stone soon ;-)
11.gif
9.gif
12.gif
okay okay... so the truth is - there is no rule, whatever you want, from 1 point to 10 carats should be fine... something around 1 carat would be great :)

If she can lift her hand it's too small, LOL! Okay, I couldn't resist. Not trying to be a sarcastic beyotch, just couldn't resist!

I would honestly suggest you find out what she likes -- get an idea from her family or friends or ask her for ideas. There is no right answer -- it is too personal.

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
You really can''t go wrong with whatever you decide. The beauty of having small hands is that a smaller diamond looks much larger than on the rest of us, and a larger diamond (1carat+) looks HUGE. I am betting that 1.5 would be just right! GL with whatever you decide, I am sure it will make her happy!
1.gif

rogue

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if this is still a concern to the original poster who posted his question over a month ago, but just thought I''d add my two cents. I also wear a size 4 and have a 1.74 carat. I couldn''t imagine it any smaller, but I defintely could go up to 2.5 carats without even thinking about it. I wore around my co-workers 3.4 carat for a while, and while absurd, I could totally be fine with that too! But hey, this is New York and we work at a law firm, so size knows no bounds. Here are a couple handshots if it helps you get an idea of the 1.74:

ring5 handshot.jpg

rogue

Shiny_Rock

ring3 handshot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results