shape
carat
color
clarity

six prongs setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I always wondered if there is a "correct" or most accepted way that a RB should sit in six prongs. Specifically, should the prongs that are facing north/south be exactly perpendicular and centered to the table facet? That would make one of the very small triangular facets (sorry I don''t know what they are called) point directly at the prong in the north and south position.

Is there a typical or common thing for this? I have seen different things in different pictures and would love some insight.

Thanks so much if anyone has any info!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know if there is a "correct" way but I like how Mara's is set. The 12o'clock prong is centered between 2 arrows. Her prongs are small enough that none of her arrows are covered by any prongs tips. However, if you don't have teeny tiny prong tips, some arrows might be covered.
Do you already have a new setting in mind?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Typical priorities in setting are durability factors, keeping inscriptions visible, placement of prongs to hide inclusions (if any), etc. With internet clients RB 'arrow' orientation is another consideration. You might get a strange look if you ask a retail jeweler about this, but highly magnified photos of diamonds with good patterning in settings have caused interest in this detail on the internet. In fact, when we bring on new jewelers, they undergo a learning curve regarding this.

The diamond may be lined up in a North-South orientation or it may be offset (see below) depending on what judgment the setter makes.

* With a standard round brilliant diamond, 2 or 4 of the arrow tips will meet prongs in the N-S orientation (depending on # of prongs).

* In the offset position no tips will meet prongs.

* In each situation the table facet is oriented differently relative to the prongs.

DetailedProngsAndArrows2.jpg

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Some people ask if prong placement influences performance. No. The girdle area is not where primary light performance is taking place; a well set diamond with appropriately sized prongs performs well regardless of orientation.

Our veteran setters may take it upon themselves to perform one orientation or the other, but keeping the inscription visible and other considerations take precedence if it is not specifically requested. If it's important to you we suggest you discuss it with the jeweler handling your diamond.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks for this explanation and detail drawings. This is super helpful.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results