shape
carat
color
clarity

Sinus infection help

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't post health related topics here often but I could us some help. Please!

My husband and I are going to CO for a week pretty soon, and I woke up today with a bad sinus infection. I'm not surprised because 1) I haven't gotten one in a few months and I felt like I was about due. (I get them about 3-4 times a year.) and 2) work is almost over and isn't that the way it usually works? *Just* as you're able to take some time off, BAM, you get sick. :nono:

Anyway, I always take amoxicillin, but because this just set in, I haven't been to the doctor yet. Is there anything I can do besides saline rinses that might help? Saline rinses don't typically do anything, unfortunately.

I'm getting a little nervous flying while being sick and especially flying to and traveling around a high altitude area. We have really long travel days getting to and home from CO. Our itinerary has us going to some really out-of-the-way places before we reach our destinations on the way there and back home. Is there anything I can do to not be completely miserable?

TIA!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yuck. Sorry Zoe :sick:

I've flown with colds a couple of times now - without any prep it can be a miserable, painful experience, I know. Some things that've helped me -
- Those paper face-masks. Warms up the air before it goes into your nose, cold air always hurts when I am sniffly!
- Vicks on the chest and under the nose before you go
- I'd definitely take some nasal spray or other decongestant, especially if you're really cloggy. The pressure changes wreaked absolute havoc on my ears once, I'm willing to try pretty much anything to avoid that pain - and the two weeks following! Menthol works well for me. Antihistamines are good too, if I take a couple when they start preboarding I'm zonked right on time for for takeoff
- I really like dry soup packets, or those little cubes for chicken broth, they're incentive to actually stay hydrated - and hot water is still free, even on US airways.. And if there are lots of transfers you can just hold it 'til you land - definite upside ::)
- I've heard of putting damp cloths to your ears and forehead to relieve sinus pressure - I just wound up spilling hot water all over myself though.
- try sticking cotton balls in your ears during takeoff and landing, if you don't have earplugs
- Purell! the last thing you need is other people's germs and they sure don't want yours, so everyone's happy 8)

Good luck!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I would get to the Dr. quick to get meds as I would not fly with a sinus infection. You can burst an ear drum!

When do you leave? If it's under control before you head out, I think you'll be okay, but I would be concerned if you're still "on fire." Advil Cold and Sinus is a temporary fix that gets me through the day with Sinus Infections. Besides that and a saline rinse, that's usually my best bets. Lots of tea. Hot showers. Feel better soon!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i recently traveled through AZ and NM and my allergies were killing me in those states. however, i ha my neti pot with me and all was returned to normal once i remembered to start using it at least once a day. i also had my "go to" herb, bayberry" with me and it certainly helped me.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Yssie, Megumic, and MZ!

One of my coworkers found out today that she has strep, so she'll be out of work tomorrow. I really, really hope that's not what this is. I'm pretty sure it's a sinus infection because it's not just my throat that hurts.

I have a call in to the doctor's office but they've closed for the day. I hate going in but I know I should, if only for getting a prescription. I wish amoxicillin was OTC.

MZ -- what's bayberry? I've never heard of it.

megumic -- we don't leave until the end of next week. If I'm able to get meds. tomorrow, I should be almost back to normal by the time we fly. Hopefully. Some SIs like to stick around for more than one round of meds.

Yssie -- I laughed when I read your comment about Purell. We currently have three huge dispensers of it on our kitchen counter. My husband thought he was buying hand soap rather than hand sanitizer a couple weeks ago. We have tons! I'll definitely put some in a travel size container and stick it in my carry-on. Thanks so much for the other suggestions, too. I wouldn't have thought to bring dry soup packets but I might just do that.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of saline rinse? I used to use a neti pot and it was pretty useless but then I switched to the neilmed system and it's so much better!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscherlover -- Yeah, the neti pot is useless to me, as well. I *think* the saline rinse I have is made by Ocean. It's essentially a nasal spray but it comes with 2 nozzle tops. I think it'a a white and blue can with an orange top. I used it consistently with my last SI but it didn't seem to help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results