shape
carat
color
clarity

Single cut vs full cut meelee

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
From what I understand there are more works with the full cut melee. So why is a vendor charging more for single cut melee compare to full cut melee?

Is there difference visually?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Single cut are less faceted and less splintery. They are a cut found in vintage rings and often the preferred for rings in that style. But, they are usually a custom order vs. the widely available full-cuts.

upload_2019-5-24_9-4-25.png

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The single cuts are a better highlight of the object in motion - they light up in some positions & not others. They are used in finer things these days as ever were & are terrifyingly precise!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi all!!
Here's a decent photo of single cuts set into a ring
r3956_single_cut.jpg
In general, we prefer single cuts to compliment vintage style diamonds.
Back in the day, when I was learning to grade at Harry Winston, we started learning on single cuts, as it's easier to teach clarity grading on them. Back then, they were less costly than full cuts ( traditional round brilliant)
Today, very few factories cut single cut diamonds- and the ones that do are generally along the lines of super ideal cutters. The reason is that single cuts are used on super high end watches- they demand a high level of consistency.
So the price on the market is higher than full cuts.
I hope this helps!

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!!
Here's a decent photo of single cuts set into a ring
r3956_single_cut.jpg
In general, we prefer single cuts to compliment vintage style diamonds.
Back in the day, when I was learning to grade at Harry Winston, we started learning on single cuts, as it's easier to teach clarity grading on them. Back then, they were less costly than full cuts ( traditional round brilliant)
Today, very few factories cut single cut diamonds- and the ones that do are generally along the lines of super ideal cutters. The reason is that single cuts are used on super high end watches- they demand a high level of consistency.
So the price on the market is higher than full cuts.
I hope this helps!

Yes, your explanation do help me to understand it. From other procescoper’s explanations and pictures from other threads, I think I prefer the full cut. It seems the full cut is more bright, which I like and it can give more contrast to the light yellow diamond. :dance:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Full cuts will look like bright white dots in all lighting environments - agree that they’d contrast nicely with your yellow :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results