shape
carat
color
clarity

Single Cut or Full Cut Melee for this Cushion??

SC86

Shiny_Rock
I'm currently having this cushion set in a custom HW-inspired halo setting.

The designer has told me that he strongly recommends full cut melee but said that I can choose whichever I prefer and can easier source either for the ring. I've been reading all of the posts about single cut VS full cut that I can find and it seems that PSers really prefer single cut melee, especially for antique cushions and designs. So I'm a bit confused as to what to choose, since I have a modern cushion (non-crushed ice).

My question is that since I have a modern cushion, would single cut melee still pair well with the center stone? Or would full cut melee better complement this modern cushion?

Thanks for the help!

J VS2 cushion - Close up.JPG

prettyshrewdsellers

Rough_Rock
Trade
Suttle differences between the two. Whichever you choose be sure to get the brightest high quality melee you can find and you may want to go a grade or two lower than the centre for the melee if you want it to match more.
In either case high quality round melee will look brighter and have a different look and contrast with a cushion that is unavoidable.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
prettyshrewdsellers|1315269164|3010341 said:
Suttle differences between the two. Whichever you choose be sure to get the brightest high quality melee you can find and you may want to go a grade or two lower than the centre for the melee if you want it to match more.
In either case high quality round melee will look brighter and have a different look and contrast with a cushion that is unavoidable.

Thanks prettyshrewd! The designer I am going with is well known on PS and has assured me he can source quality melee.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's a tough call. Have you seen both in person? I wonder if that would make the decision clearer for you?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who is the designer? I've had both types of halos and they are both beautiful if done well. For me it's more a matter of the quality of the pave work... melee that's top quality will look lovely when set right.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1315346412|3011011 said:
Who is the designer? I've had both types of halos and they are both beautiful if done well. For me it's more a matter of the quality of the pave work... melee that's top quality will look lovely when set right.

Steven Kirsch will be making the ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SC86|1315346666|3011015 said:

He re-did my halo and it's gorgeous...he used full cut half pointers (down from single cut full pointers) and I'm thrilled with the results. I'd do as he recommends in this case.

Here's mine... can't wait to see yours!

Layla Steven Reset.jpg

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1315356592|3011149 said:
SC86|1315346666|3011015 said:

He re-did my halo and it's gorgeous...he used full cut half pointers (down from single cut full pointers) and I'm thrilled with the results. I'd do as he recommends in this case.

Here's mine... can't wait to see yours!

Simply stunning Gypsy! He is recommending full cut melee, which may complement my stone better. I think I should just go with Steven's recommendations! :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you. And I agree... he genuinely has a great eye and instincts. You ring is going to be beautiful!

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1315357822|3011178 said:
Thank you. And I agree... he genuinely has a great eye and instincts. You ring is going to be beautiful!

Thanks! I never knew how many specific details there are to a ring's design until PS! Sometimes all of the little details and decisions are a bit overwhelming! I'm just hoping the ring turns out well!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will. I can't wait to see it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, with SK I would totally just do what he says!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For the melee size that I am guessing you will be going with, you aren't going to notice much difference.

By the way, the stone is lovely!

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link Gypsy! I have been impressed by all of SK's pave work on PS and it's even more beautiful and delicate looking in person. And thanks for the kind words Charmypoo! I thought most PSers would bite my head off since modern cushions don't seem very popular here! Just kidding! :wink2:

My stone measurements are 9.02 x 9.03 mm.

He hasn't specified a melee size yet (we're still deciding on the details). When I was in his office last time I sat with him for a while and he showed me several pieces and I indicated what I liked visually. We discussed having the halo size between about 1.5-1.7mm with minimal metal showing using deep "U-cut" pave; so I'm not sure yet what size melee would achieve that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a nice sized diamond. I would go for one pointers max, but I like slim halos I'm more of a 1.5 or slimmer type person. Your ring is going to be stunning!

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I was looking for a more square shaped cushion. I prefer very delicate halos too, as I do not want to take away from the center stone. I'm more of a slimmer halo person too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results