shape
carat
color
clarity

Single cut melee VS full

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to decide if I want to use single cut melee or full cut on my spinel. Is there a noticeable difference and worth the extra cost?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bright Ice:

If you want the fastest answer, I would do a search for this, as I know I posted the question once in RT, and it has been posted on the board once I found before me (after I asked the question :oops: ) and at least once since.

Bottom line I found: two schools of thought, seemingly equally divided. Depending on the size, some felt that single would have more sparkle, because of the fewer (and therefore larger surface area of) facets. At least thats the argument that resonated with me. The other camp seemed to think full cut was the more common in this day and age, if I remember correctly, or that the full cut melee tended to be the better quality. But the answers, in depth, are on the board if you are successful in your search... =)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Single.

Full cut is only better quality if you are talking about LOGR or Ebay vendors--they assoc. full cut with better clarity. None of the PS vendors make this association, so the quality (ie color and clarity) will be fine either way if you are working with a PS vendor or other jeweler (and not ordering from Ebay).

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1314316609|2999721 said:
Hi Bright Ice:

If you want the fastest answer, I would do a search for this, as I know I posted the question once in RT, and it has been posted on the board once I found before me (after I asked the question :oops: ) and at least once since.

Bottom line I found: two schools of thought, seemingly equally divided. Depending on the size, some felt that single would have more sparkle, because of the fewer (and therefore larger surface area of) facets. At least thats the argument that resonated with me. The other camp seemed to think full cut was the more common in this day and age, if I remember correctly, or that the full cut melee tended to be the better quality. But the answers, in depth, are on the board if you are successful in your search... =)

Thanks minousbijoux! I had not performed a search on PS but have now. I think single cuts would be the better choice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For small melees, I prefer single cuts if the clarity and colour is good. Also, the cutting has to be somewhat decent. They sparkle better because each facet is larger.

For larger melees, I prefer full cuts as it doesn't look as busy (too much contrast).

SB621

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1314317178|2999729 said:
Single.

Full cut is only better quality if you are talking about LOGR or Ebay vendors--they assoc. full cut with better clarity. None of the PS vendors make this association, so the quality (ie color and clarity) will be fine either way if you are working with a PS vendor or other jeweler (and not ordering from Ebay).

Agree with this 100%!!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
This is great to know: I might be diving into melee myself soon (we shall see save save). Thanks indylady and everyone :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results