shape
carat
color
clarity

single claw prong perceptions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
I read on one of the threads that four prongs on a ring gives the image of a square shape on a round brilliant diamond. Does anyone have an opinion on how a single claw prong would change the image of a round brilliant? Would it minimize the effect even for claw prongs that have to be thick because there are diamonds on the side of the head (but not on the tip of the prong)? Your advice is much aprpreciated!

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
i'm not sure i understand your question, but here's a picture of a diamond with 4 single prongs.

leon123.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It totally depends on the style of the priong tips. I really disagree with that generalization because both my rings had small prong tips and you don''t even notice them. They certainly do not make my stones look square at all. But my new ring is from Leon Mege, and he is really the master of delicate, tiny prong tips. All you really see is the diamond.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the size of the diamond and the size of the prongs. Bigger prongs + smaller diamond = square look. I''ve only ever seen 1 ring in real life where the round diamond looked square and it was because of that equation!
3.gif

Otherwise, I don''t think round diamonds look square in a 4 prong at all. You can get certain types of prongs if you want the round diamond to look square, though. They''re called fishtail prongs, and they''re kind of like triangles, with one edge of the triangle against the diamond. If that doesn''t make sense, do a search for fishtail prongs with the search function, and you''ll see what I mean!

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Sorry for being unclear. I was trying to avoid posting these picture, but I am a little discouraged by how my engagement ring turned out. The prongs look really large but the jeweler said it has to be that way because of the pave work on the side. I was wondering if a single claw type look would help minimize this?

Also, the prongs seem asymmetrical. I have yet to bring it to the jeweler yet, but I guess while they were going to reset it... it wouldn''t be hard to fix the tip? Do you guys think I should just ask them to make the prongs smaller and keep the same shape and make them more identical? Or try for the single claw look? I do like the single claw look, but it might not look good because of the pave work on the prongs and my diamond is not that big (0.83). : (
Help is much appreciated....my ring makes me really sad at the moment.

Helpme113.jpg

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
why the prongs look bulky from the top.. i like the way it looks from the side though i guess? but is it worth it to not get an enjoyable view from the top?

Helpme11144.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure how much they can do with the setting already completed, but I would think those prong tips could be shaped into claws. I don''t see why they''d have to be rounded like they are on top of the stone. But I''d certainly want them symmetrical.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They may be able to redo the prong tips, no harm in asking, that is how I would approach it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I can see what you''re referiing to and I''m sorry that you''re not happy.
I agree with the others, it should be possible - but how well it turns out will depend on the skill of the benchman I guess. I would certainly ask for them to be made even, then discuss the shape at the same time..?
Sorry I couldn''t be more help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results