shape
carat
color
clarity

since this is a diamond forum, guess i can ask this Q...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t remember how much Edgar (see avatar) cost, but I got him from a rescue group, fully neutered and just needed a few additional shots. I know it was over $100.

My baby, Boomer, we adopted a couple months ago for $250. This paid for him to be neutered and all shots complete. I had a check up done on him just to be certain that everything was okay.

As for what they are worth to me, well, that answer is priceless. They certainly make my life so much more full!

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
Our 2 cats are both rescues. My cat was free - I was working in an animal hospital and he came in as a stray. They treated, vaccinated and neutered him, and I just fell in love with him while he was there and took him home. DH''s cat was $25 from the local shelter. Both would have had significant vet bills for things like eating embroidery floss that resulted in major abdominal surgery, but we fortunately get very reduced vet bills since I worked there. Our bunny was free also - DH''s coworker breeds them, and we adopted this bunny when she was returned to him by the family that originally purchased her.

Our Cavalier was purchased as a puppy for $1300 3 1/2 years ago. I knew I wanted a Cavalier, and I tried to go through rescue. However, there were not many Cavaliers available in rescue at the time, and most of the rescues didn''t want to work with us since DH and I both work fulltime, or we were located too far away. She has had health problems - vaccine reactions, anal gland abscess, dental work, and a very serious kidney infection after she was spayed that we still deal with the after effects of - she has to have follow up bloodwork every 6 months. My vet discount has come in very handy with her also! That doesn''t count the 5 training classes we''ve done, the routine spay & vet care, food & supplies. She is worth it though!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Threadjack:
Ooo, vetrik, you have a bunny? You need to start a thread for him with pictures! I got a bunny a few months ago (my first one ever) and I loooove him.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I have two (talking) Indian Ringneck parrots and one diamond dove. Parrots were cheap, $100 each, at a bird show. The dove cost $20. I bought the dove because I felt sorry for him. He was at a pet store in a cage with larger doves who were just pecking him so bad. Many of his feathers were picked off. But now he looks really good.

I grew up in the country and still cannot get my head around paying for a dog or cat. Back then, a neighbor''s dog would have puppies and if you wanted one, you just said so and they would give it to you. These were mutts, of course. Same with a kitten. Of course it is different now, especially in the city. But it still seems funny to me to pay for a dog/cat.

I would like another parrot, but hard to deal with having that many. Especially love eclectus parrot, which cost $850-1100. I originally got into owning ringnecks cause they were quite inexpensive. They are excellent birds, if you put the time into taming them.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of my cats were free. The only pets I've paid money for were ones I had as a child - gerbils and also goldfish.

Every cat of mine was either rescued from the pound or adopted from a person who's cats had kittens (and I did get each animal fixed, however, I do not include that in the price I would have paid for the each.)

ETA - thinking back, my husband may have had paid an adoption fee for the two cats from the pound. I'm not sure of the price. . .$15 for each one???

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Free; she was donated kitten at a pet store and I lucked out since she's a pure breed Birman. If I have another pet, it will be a shelter animal. I'd rather save a cat/dog/rabbit then spend money on buying one.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
$100 per cat. First cat was adopted from animal control. Second cat was adopted from a vet (during kitten season the shelter is at capacity, so my old vet would also take in kittens and charge the same amount as the shelter as to not compete with them). Both cats were adopted as kittens, so the fee is pretty standard around here at $100 (covers shots, neuter, chipping). Adult cats are usually at $75.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 12:02:39 AM
Author: Chrono
Free; she was donated kitten at a pet store and I lucked out since she''s a pure breed Birman. If I have another pet, it will be a shelter animal. I''d rather save a cat/dog/rabbit then spend money on buying one.
36.gif
I completely agree!! We foster animals for a local rescue organization, SAFE (Saving Animals From Euthanasia) and it''s a cause about which I feel very strongly. I can''t stand laymen breeding their purebred (or not!) animals because the babies are cute and they can make a few extra bucks on them.

My current zoo is all shelter animals. Bella is a great dane x mastiff and she was from the RSPCA ($250, including her spaying, vaccinations, and microchipping). Alvin, the golden retriever x lab, came from Columbia Second Chance in the States, I brought him to Australia with me when I moved ($180 including everything listed above). Niffler the cat came from the Cat Haven, think she was $100 for the lot. Including the emergency surgery Bella had after eating some bedding and the cost of an international relocation for Alvin, I would stay I''ve spent around $10,000 on other expenses for them. They''re both very special to me, so I can''t imagine NOT spending that necessary money on them.

On top of those three, we''re fostering 2 cats, Weeka and Samara -- and a puppy, Maisie.
30.gif

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 6:49:34 AM
Author: sba771
If I were to do it again I would have gone about the process VERY differently and adopted and since getting my dog I have become active in supporting adoption and proper breeders and educating people about this sort of thing. My dog was a gift from my FI and cost $900. He is a pure bred miniature pinscher and he was overpriced but I went to a breeder in NY so that does tend to cost more compared to other states. I love my little guy but if we do it again we will do a breed specific rescue, but the happiness and love he has given us was so worth the price tag.
I have a min pin too! Aren''t they great? Mine was $400 but she is 10 years old so don''t know what they go for now. I also have a pure bred Devon Rex cat that was about $400 but she is20 years old 20 so again, not sure what they cost now. I would also love to do a rescue next time around (but I don''t know if I could handle another min pin!!! They''re kinda nuts - in a GOOD way but still nuts......) Oh, I''m in Canada so I''m sure prices are higher up here - also less selection, fewer breeders etc......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results