shape
carat
color
clarity

since this is a diamond forum, guess i can ask this Q...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I paid $250 for Darby (chihuahua/terrier mix) from a chihuahua rescue. At 10 months old, he came fully potty trained, fixed, and up-to-date on all his shots. I would highly recommend looking into rescues and such.

His vet appointment is about $50 per year for just a check up. I spend about $8 per month on dog food (and I get the good stuff), maybe $6/month on treats. His heart worm pills are about $45 for 6 months. Then, of course, there are miscellaneous expenses such as toys and nail clippings here and there.

Overall, he''s pretty cheap for all the love and happy memories he provides.
9.gif
Well worth it!

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
We have a boxer/pit bull mix. She cost $90 to adopt from no-kill shelter. She is the best thing to ever happen to us. In two years she has cost us bout $500-$700 in "maintenance". We were able to train her by ourselves.
1.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Choro, LoveGem, Ice-Queen! In retrospect it''s definitely funny - she''s a pure white cat, and, seriously, for a while after she was so clean she glowed. But at the time it was kind of terrifying.

We have a "green" front-load washer, and I was doing a load in cold water: I''d stuffed an huge fuzzy blanket in, remembered that I had some towels upstairs, run to get them, tossed them in, and hit start. Out washing machines are set off in a little nook with a door, so I pulled it closed and starting getting ready to go out with my husband to run some errands - we dithered a little, so 20 minutes later we were still there when we heard this pathetic meowing. I figured the cat had snuck into the laundry room, and opened the door, but I couldn''t see her - just heard the meowing. Then I saw a little flash of white go by in the green blanket, and I FREAKED OUT. We got the door open right away, got the wobbly, dizzy, soaking wet cat out, looked her over ... and she was FINE. We took her to the vet just to be safe, but - FINE. 9 lives, indeed!

The vet hypothesized that she''d managed to curl up inside the big, huge, non-absorbent blanket and just gone on a carnival ride until the spin cycle began and the cold water hit her, and that since it was a green washing machine, it didn''t use enough water to fill to the top and drown her. So, moral of this story - always check things for cats, even if it doesn''t look like there''s any way they could be occupied! She''s the kind who creeps in places if you look away for a sec - she''s also tried sneaking into the dishwasher, and behind a drawer my husband was fixing. (Yeah, I don''t know, either.) I guess she''s good practice for having kids ....

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
both of mine were rescues and i did not pay a penny for either one. their vet bills are something else.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 3:59:55 AM
Author: FrekeChild
My dog (Judge) that passed in February was a purebred PITA, and cost my parents $700--in 1993 or so. (Worth every penny and then some, if you ask me.)
a purebred Pain In The A$$ ??
33.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of our animals were either free or from the shelter
36.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha. Are Koi pets DF?

Let''s see for the current round: $2000, $1000, and $600. The rescue was the least expensive, but we had to ship her across the country. All worth it.
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 8:24:11 AM
Author: Lynn B
OK, DF, help me out here, I must be DENSE... but what does the fact that this is a diamond forum have to do with asking the price of our pets without ''being rude''???!
33.gif

And BTW, how much were your koi? (Afterall, this IS a diamond forum!!!)
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Aw, don''t be cranky -- you know I love ya!!!
Lynn
well,if i asked how much PSer paid for their E-ring on a diamond that would consider rude,right? but since this was a pet Q then i don''t think it sound as rude.

that''s was my point,if you ask that Q on a koi fourm it would of consider "rude" by some koi hobbyist. i''m one of those person that don''t mind sharing what i paid for XX items.

here are two examples...last year i paid $2100 for these two 19" females imported from Japan.

2 sanke.jpg

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Around $100 each for my three cats from rescue groups.

Now the vet bills though? Freakin'' cats!

$1000 for the time that Ava ate a toy
$1300 for the first time our male cat blocked his urethra due to stress (moving cross country)
$1000 the next time he did it (stress. He doesn''t like that I''m pregnant apparently).

There''s a surgery that will basically turn him into a female. That''s the next route. God knows how much that''ll cost us.

Yet, for some reason, I still love them to pieces!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
We paid $500.00 for our Lhasa Apso Mazie. She will be 7 years old, This Thursday.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 8:57:27 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
Date: 6/21/2009 6:49:34 AM

Author: sba771

If I were to do it again I would have gone about the process VERY differently and adopted and since getting my dog I have become active in supporting adoption and proper breeders and educating people about this sort of thing. My dog was a gift from my FI and cost $900. He is a pure bred miniature pinscher and he was overpriced but I went to a breeder in NY so that does tend to cost more compared to other states. I love my little guy but if we do it again we will do a breed specific rescue, but the happiness and love he has given us was so worth the price tag.

sba771,

One of the techs at my vet''s office is involved in Min Pin rescue. They sometimes have up to 8-10 Min Pins at their home. Can you imagine? Lots of little doggies!
36.gif
That is INSANE!! We were babysitting another min pin this weekend and that was 1 min pin too many, but they are so darn cute so I just laughed every time they were bad.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 8:53:36 AM
$350 to adopt a retired racing greyhound!
9.gif
$300-ish (don''t recall precisely) to have our beagle-mix transported up from a high-kill GA shelter and vetted.

DF, Are you looking for a pet??
i have some koi and a amazon parrot as pets.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 2:45:24 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

9.gif
$300-ish (don''t recall precisely) to have our beagle-mix transported up from a high-kill GA shelter and vetted.

You have a parrot
30.gif
does he talk??? I have a little parrot. He talks all the time. He is a riot.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 12:30:26 PM
Author: Pink Tower
I've got a Standard Poodle, so her purchase price was significant, but worth every penny. Best dog I have ever had. However, the purchase price is not as significant as the grooming with a large poodle.
DF, tell us about the cost of your pets. I have had fish ponds, and I have had grey herons come and clean them out. That makes fish very expensive. My koi also had huge appetites for my favorite plants, like lotus. I decided I preferred goldfish.
the pond cost me a fortune,and i still don't have a good koi pond
39.gif
koi and plants don't go well together they dig up the soils in the pots,so it would be better for you to keep goldfish instead of koi in your pond if you decided to keep plants.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 2:53:22 PM
Author: Linda W

9.gif

You have a parrot
30.gif

Linda, what kind of little parrot you have? We have two green cheeked conures and two linnies. The two conures are very vocal. one of them speaks very good Chinese.
30.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 3:18:25 PM
Author: lovegem

9.gif

You have a parrot
30.gif

Linda, what kind of little parrot you have? We have two green cheeked conures and two linnies. The two conures are very vocal. one of them speaks very good Chinese.

30.gif

Oh how cute, one speaks Chinese!! I have a Indian Ringneck. He is a chatter box. I love him to pieces.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adopted from a no kill shelter and paid around $50 for my cat in fees several years. I don''t agree with paying for a designer or pure breed animal.

Her checkups and medication cost me about £50 in an average year, more if she''s having work done on her teeth or any needs anything major. I think the most vet bills have cost me in a year are around £250. The move from the US to the UK was very expensive, but since that''s not a normal move I''m not counting that.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Chupacabra...his owner didn''t want/couldn''t care for him anymore. I paid a rehoming fee of $95.00. He wasn''t utd on shots nor was he fixed....so in the first week, I spent about $300.00 on that. Total cost of outright responsible pet ownership: 395.00

Diesel...was a rescue from a puppy mill break up. We paid $400.00 for him which was a "donation" but really covered his upfront vetting bills, transport fee and such. He has since racked up the vet bills due to a hernia, skin disorder that comes with his coloring, and other odds and ends.

Itsy-Bella was the only dog I have ever "bought" from a breeder. Chihuahua rescue didn''t a suitable fit for me, and most out of state rescue orgs are hesitant to adopt to someone from far away since monitoring can be almost impossible. So, we found a wonderful breeder locally who had puppies that were ready to go and for sale...Isty was 3 months when we brought her home. She cost me just shy of a grand up front--but was totally good to go on worming, shots, the whole 9 yards. She''s absolutely wonderful.

My dogs are my children...they are spoiled and loved and cared for...money is no object when it comes to them.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
As of right now 3 cats were free (of course had to fix them etc after). 2 free from outside, 1 from someone who didn't fix their cat in time.

1 came in when he was about 3 months old…...he is now 15 (my baby but hates change...walks in the same patterns, hates when furniture is moved etc).
The other one came in when he was about 2 or 3 (is super friendly but vet insists he was always feral cause the way his fur is....though the most friendliest none scared cat I have ever seen, so I find it hard to believe). He is about 16 now and still needs to be let out to do his business in the yard as he won't use the litter box, he goes out for that and then runs straight back inside. The newest member was given away at my mom's work place for free because their cat had kittens and my mom has a soft spot for animals. He is about 3 and very active and plays more like a dog than cat (fetch etc). They all live with mom, dad and brother as I grew up and moved out but visit them all the time (they all family pets).

They have a pond. Got my dad small koi, I bought a few years ago cost me I think 120 for 6 and got 2 more at later date (can't remember cost). They were only about 3 inches and are about 12inches now. They have breed...not intentionally...so we have more now that cost us zero (16 now and we hope they will stop :razz: ).

My FI and I don’t live in our own house (his parents move backed to their homeland so we live in their house here), when we own our own, we want pets (Use to have a German Sheppard when I was younger and would love another dog, also had many other pets before rats, hamster etc). Sorry for the long reply.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 2:19:52 PM

Lynn
well,if i asked how much PSer paid for their E-ring on a diamond that would consider rude,right? but since this was a pet Q then i don''t think it sound as rude.

that''s was my point,if you ask that Q on a koi fourm it would of consider ''rude'' by some koi hobbyist. i''m one of those person that don''t mind sharing what i paid for XX items.

here are two examples...last year i paid $2100 for these two 19'' females imported from Japan.
OH, I gotcha now, DF!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Well, my Ragdoll, Boo, cost $700... and that was a pretty typical going rate two years ago for Raggies in my area. (That price included his neutering before he came home).

And as the others have said, worth every penny, and more!
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I paid around $300 for Casper he''s 15. And $500 for Callie she''s 10. I have a friend who breeds Bichon''s . She wants to gve me one, but now is not the time, Casper is old and cranky. But down the road I wll take one of her''s. They really are gorgeous.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
My husband paid $750 for our vizsla which was a gift for me 2 years ago. A year later we adopted a pitbull for $100 to cover for shots and vet visits.
What you pay for a pet is just the beginning...but totally worth it.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

9.gif

You have a parrot
30.gif
he talks more than you granny !
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 3:18:25 PM

30.gif
can he say any bad words in Chinese?
31.gif
my amazon blue front say..."gung hay fat choy" real clear.

amazon syz.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
My parents paid about $60 to adopt my first dog from the vet, after our very first "rescue dog" we found on the road had to be put to sleep. My other two dogs were free, since they were both rescued from the streets too.
2.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
The expensive part is the vet bills for three dogs!

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
DF, your amazon is beautiful.

Bad words? are you kidding? that's probably all he can say. ok. Let me see what he says...everything is in chinese "good boy" "dead birdy" "I will kill you" "eat lar" "kiss" "what are you doing" "huh" "what are you talking about?" etc.... Sometimes it freaks me out that when i talk to him about stuffs that he doesn't understand he would say "huh?" or "what are you talking about?".

Every time he is angry, or fighting with the other birds, he says "I will kill you" in chinese. Last time when he walked in his cage, on his way in, the other bird was standing in his way, he looked at him and said "dead birdy" and walked right in his cage. By the way, we never really intentionally teach them to speak. We tried the first month we bought them home. It didn't work. So we gave up, eventually they pick up words themselves. Just a bonus that they talk.
31.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
my cat was free, she was left somewhere by her previous owner, but all her shots and getting her spayed and everything must''ve been close to $2000

tlh

Ideal_Rock
My cavalier was $2,500 from a reputable breeder. My DH''s mutt was a $60 adoption fee.

My cavalier has cost nothing more than the routine checkup and shots from the vet.

DH''s mutt has an auto-immunie disease called pemphigus that he was diagnosed with when he was 2-3. Awesome blistering lesions that covered his body from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail and in all orafaces of the body. You couldn''t touch him w/o the blood, ooze, and puss getting on you. The disease is now in remission, after 2+ years of very aggressive treatment costing thousands of dollars (much MUCH more than I paid up front for my dog), even though it has shortened his life span, destroyed his internal organs including his kidneys and liver (that he has to take supplements for), and also changed his personality for the worse.

I will NEVER get another dog or puppy from the pound.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2009 5:05:52 AM
DF, your amazon is beautiful.

Bad words? are you kidding? that''s probably all he can say. ok. Let me see what he says...everything is in chinese ''good boy'' ''dead birdy'' ''I will kill you'' ''eat lar'' ''kiss'' ''what are you doing'' ''huh'' ''what are you talking about?'' etc.... Sometimes it freaks me out that when i talk to him about stuffs that he doesn''t understand he would say ''huh?'' or ''what are you talking about?''.

Every time he is angry, or fighting with the other birds, he says ''I will kill you'' in chinese. Last time when he walked in his cage, on his way in, the other bird was standing in his way, he looked at him and said ''dead birdy'' and walked right in his cage. By the way, we never really intentionally teach them to speak. We tried the first month we bought them home. It didn''t work. So we gave up, eventually they pick up words themselves. Just a bonus that they talk.
31.gif
LG
i would be
rotflmao2.gif
if i hear your bird saying them words in chinese.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results