shape
carat
color
clarity

Simply Silica: A Gem Silica Pendant

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Back in July of last year I was admiring @icy_jade's gorgeous Peruvian Blue Opal ring, and suggested that Peruvian Opal might make a good alternative to jadeite. @ChaiK then gave me the tip that I should take a look at Gem Silica from Arizona's Inspiration mine as another alternative.

DW and I had never seen any Gem Silica in person, but later that year we just happened to come across a piece at an auction. It was a rather unusual shape, but once DW saw how well it looked against her skin she decided it was destined to be a pendant. As some of you might know, DW has a thing for pendants. :) Here's a picture of the stone, it is 16.1ct measuring 30.7x9.8x7.0 and cut from Inspiration mine rough by John (Jay) Baskin.

16.1ct Gem Silica 30.7x9.8x7.0.jpg

We had some other projects in the works so didn't give the stone to Amy at DKJ until a few weeks ago. DW had determined the stone was so beautiful in its own right it didn't need a diamond halo or anything too fancy. Just a simple setting in 18K yellow gold to enhance the stone and keep it the center of attention. Amy and the DKJ pulled off this simple but elegant design to absolute perfection, here's their video and a couple of their studio photos.

Gem Silica Pendant DK1.jpg Gem Silica Pendant DK3.jpg

This Gem Silica does take on more of a blue shade in strong lighting, but in regular lighting it's more of a teal green, and it does look a lot like jadeite! A few neck shots in different lighting

Gem Silica Pendant 1.jpg Gem Silica Pendant 2.jpg Gem Silica Pendant 3.jpg Gem Silica Pendant 4.jpg

DW did add a single diamond highlight to the design. I tease her that her pendant has a pimple! :mrgreen2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Awesome, beautiful pendant. I enjoy hearing the story and seeing more pictures. Thanks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! beautiful!! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: OMG we would all be so lucky to have a diamond pimple...lol

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely and unique, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2:

Reactions: prs

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really lovely -- modern look and I love the touch of asymmetry. Simple but not "plain." Also, a great way to showcase a soft, affordable stone of beautiful color and tone.

I might need a thicker, less flexible chain that could introduce some curvature at the hang-point.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely! :kiss2:

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Very beautiful and elegant!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing. Another beautiful addition to your Dw’s stunning collection :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! And i really love the pimple - it gives it a unique edge!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its lovelly
The colour is beautiful and i love yellow gold

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whoa! beautiful!! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: OMG we would all be so lucky to have a diamond pimple...lol

Thank you Arcadian. There are pimples, and then there are pimples. I think this is one of the good guys! :mrgreen2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Really lovely -- modern look and I love the touch of asymmetry. Simple but not "plain." Also, a great way to showcase a soft, affordable stone of beautiful color and tone.

I might need a thicker, less flexible chain that could introduce some curvature at the hang-point.

Thank you, Gem Silica certainly looks soft, but it is a member of the quartz family and has a Mohs hardness of 7. So suitable even for a ring.

Great suggestion on the less flexible chain. DW has one but it's in white gold. Will use it to give the idea a try.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing. Another beautiful addition to your Dw’s stunning collection :)

Thank you, this all started with your fabulous Peruvian Blue Opal.

Interestingly Gem Silica is priced like jadeite, with the most translucent pieces being the rarest and most valuable. Fortunately it's less than 10% the price of fine jadeite!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love it! And i really love the pimple - it gives it a unique edge!

Thank you, DW thought long and hard about the pimple, but it worked out well in the end.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Its lovelly
The colour is beautiful and i love yellow gold

Thank you so much. DW put both white and yellow gold against the stone, and yellow won hands down. The 18K yellow actually turned out even better than she expected

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gem Silica certainly looks soft, but it is a member of the quartz family and has a Mohs hardness of 7. So suitable even for a ring.

I didn't mean soft like pudding; I meant soft for a durable gem. =)2

Spinel is my cut-off for a ring. But I think you're right -- as a cab, a few scratches won't matter so could be fine for a ring, too.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the original suggestion. DW loves this so much she has already ordered another stone for a matching ring! :eek-2:

DW's new gem silica arrived yesterday. 4.66ct and measuring 14.0x7.3x6.0. It's more translucent than the first stone with a beautiful inner glow.

4.66ct Gem Silica 2.jpg 4.66ct Gem Silica 3.jpg

The plan had been to copy the pendant design and make a matching ring, but DW is having second thoughts about that.

Is the new stone halo worthy? :)

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
DW's new gem silica arrived yesterday. 4.66ct and measuring 14.0x7.3x6.0. It's more translucent than the first stone with a beautiful inner glow.

4.66ct Gem Silica 2.jpg 4.66ct Gem Silica 3.jpg

The plan had been to copy the pendant design and make a matching ring, but DW is having second thoughts about that.

Is the new stone halo worthy? :)

Yes. Halo it. It is beautiful. I like a good. stone that you can dress up with a halo and it looks a million dollars.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. Halo it. It is beautiful. I like a good. stone that you can dress up with a halo and it looks a million dollars.

Im.not usually into halos but when i first saw this one i thought it woukd look really lovelly with a halo

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DW did decide to go with a halo. DKJ did a great job, and she is very happy with the result. Here are a few photos.

4.66ct Gem Silica 4.jpg 4.66ct Gem Silica 5.jpg 4.66ct Gem Silica 8.jpg 4.66ct Gem Silica 11.jpg

Matching earrings next? :mrgreen2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is gorgouse!
definatly matching earings next!
the halo is just right

i know nothing about this gem

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The pendant and the ring are both gorgeous! I love the picture showing the ring stone glowing! :kiss2:
Yes! Your wife definitely needs matching earrings :D

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is just something about a glowing striking cyan blue and yellow gold.

Love the ring and pendant. Yes to earrings to complete the set! :D

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great results! What a beautiful matching set!

I love to hear about your teamwork and the decisions and possibilities you and your dear wife consider.

Congratulations on another success story!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results