shape
carat
color
clarity

Simply Sapphires Review

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So hubby volunteered me to buy a ring for one of his friends ladies. She likes blue and he wanted a three stone. And the budget was 800 dollars (after I got through expanding it up from the original 500 dollars the two guys had decided might be okay :rolleyes: ). The Groom-to-Be wanted a sapphire that was the size of a one carat diamond and basically a perfect ceylon blue.

So I thought-- Heated sapphire with tiny freaking diamonds on each side. Searched ebay for LOTR and Lan Bo. Found a Lan Bo three stone for 260. Great... now the center... Emailed a few vendors. Everyone was very responsive but only one could work withthe budget and the size (shape was negotiable the setting could be adjusted). So we purchased a lovely oval from Simply Sapphires. I order the setting 5 minutes later with the oval's exact measurements.

Go to sleep happy. Next day John emails me apologizing and saying that the stone I'd bought was purchases just a new minutes before by someone else, and that the system hadn't had time to block my transaction-- so it had double sold the stone. He offered me a replacement stone of higher value for the same price as the one I had bought, but it wasn't the right shade of blue and just didn't sing to me. We exchanged multiple emails about nearly ANY stone that was vaguely 8x6 and cornflower to royal blue. He was extremely candid, knew his stock and was patient.

He did discount the final stone I picked, a gorgeous 'perfect ceylon' blue... UNHEATED stone with fabulous cut. I got it in the mail 2 days later and OMG. Just a stunning sapphire. Lan Bo was being difficult about the setting (or maybe I was, two sides to every story) so I ended up cancelling it and getting a stuller from a local jeweler (Heller Jewelers in San Ramon) who rushed a setting in for me (it's being set tomorrow) and when I took the sapphire to them... they were flabbergasted.

They have some lovely sapphires in their store, the owner is a particular fan of sapphires. And the SS stone easily held it's own with their best stones and was unheated to boot and at a much (much, much, much) lower cost. The jeweler looked it over, held it up, louped it, and was generally just checking it over like a mother hen with it's egg.

John followed up with me to make sure I liked the stone, ready to assist if I didn't, and I really appreciated the great customer service and of course, the gorgeous stone.

Will have pics, I promise. If nothing else I will get John's pics for the close ups, but the groom has promised me photos to post (he is picking up the ring tomorrow himself as I am out of town).

And yes, I've added a sapphire to my want list. It's my birthstone, but honestly... until I'd held this one I was waffling. Now I really need a sapphire man. It was a hard thing to let go of. I wanted to keep that puppy!

The groom will be getting the stone appraised by Nancy in Walnut Creek, but not for a couple of months. But I'm not worried. Even if there was an issue. I know John would be on top of resolving it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Gypsy...I need someone as decisive as you in my life! I hope she loves it and it has maximum sparkle. What a way to get your fix!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are amazing to be able to pull it off under such a tight budget and strict requirements AND dateline. :appl: Thanks for the write up on SS as well since we rarely get one. How close/accurate is SS's picture of the stone compared to the real thing?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a really great looking stone! Love it! :appl:

-A

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, will you be my new best friend?

--- Laurie

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous! My stone in my avatar is from Simply Sapphires and I get oodles of compliments on it. So glad to hear a great review of SS. John was a great guy to work with and I am glad he got you a gorgeous stone within budget. Can't wait to see the ring!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I can't say I'd volunteer to do it again-- especially not while managing a husband in major surgery and a brand new (and very demanding) job. But the groom is really happy with the finished product and that is all that matters tonight! :appl:

While darker than the real life stones, SS's pics are pretty darned accurate in context. What I found helpful was to compare the pics of stones-- especially the culet up pic-- to help me get an idea of color. It helped to be able to say... this one looks too light, and this one is about two shades darker than that one so it might be perfect. And then I emailed John and he gave me a very frank, and from my experience very accurate assessment of the stone.

The stone I got was not navy at all. But rather a rich royal blue and I know the pics on the site make it look black or even navy in parts. But I knew looking at the pics in comparison to other stones and with John's verbal assesment that the color on MY screen was darker than reality. And that was exactly what I got when I opened the package. A rich velvety deep blue that was NOT navy or black.

What I REALLY appreciated is when I said... no that stone looks windowed, or purple, or native cut-- he didn't argue with a sales pitch. Just moved on. That built trust with me, because then when he said, "THIS ONE WOULD BE MY PICK" I paid attention. He doesn't list the flaws of the stones on the site description, but if you email him and say... this one looks like it has zoning, he will let you know.

I will have (and I qoute) a 'crappy guy cell phone pic" tonight. And tomorrow is the proposal!! SO I've already to the groom that my fee for services is the best pics he can get me. So we'll see if I can get better pics for us!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.stuller.com/products/70249/?groupId=34779 This is the setting we chose. It wouldn't have been my pic, honestly, because I can see things snagging on those wings, but it was the only setting that fit all of the groom's criteria and the budget and the stone. It's pretty and it fit the needs, but practicallity (something I personally am big on) had to give a little so I'm planning on letting the bride to be know that if it becomes and issue she should take it to the jeweler and get something done about that.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy! I'm so glad you had a good experience with them, for the last few months, I've been looking at sapphires from their site, but for some reason, hesitated, but now I won't. I agree with your concerns on the setting, you did great with the time constraint you had! also congrats on the new job, and hope hubby gets better soon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the 'crappy guy pic' again... stone is not navy. It is a royal (so darker) cornflower blue, but not navy at all.

Gotta love men. The ring looks nice.

2010-09-289517.52.29.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T said:
Gypsy! I'm so glad you had a good experience with them, for the last few months, I've been looking at sapphires from their site, but for some reason, hesitated, but now I won't. I agree with your concerns on the setting, you did great with the time constraint you had! also congrats on the new job, and hope hubby gets better soon.
Thank you very much DT.

I would buy again from John. I really appreciated his personal service.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results