shape
carat
color
clarity

Similar characteristics, huge price difference?

Tweedi

Rough_Rock
Hi All

Looking at cushion lab diamonds in the 1.7 - 2.1 ct range and I found those:

Diamond 1
1.82 ct Ratio 1.04 Table 59 Depth 66 VVS2 color D GIA £5600

Diamond 2
2 ct Ratio 1 Table 62.5 Depth 64.5 VVS2 color E IGI £4200

Diamond 3
2.01 ct Ratio 1.01 Table 55 Depth 68.2 VVS2 color D GIA £8450

My (beginner) observations / questions:
- Diamond 2 is bigger than Diamond1, and seems to have a better cut (I was told to look for a table between 60 and 68 for cushions) and cheaper. Color is one notch less good but I believe the price difference is mainly due to one being certified by GIA and the other IGI (less reliable)? Or is there something about the cut which I have not noticed?

- Diamond 3 is twice the price of Diamond 2. And frankly apart from being certified by GIA I don't know what explains this? I would like to understand this before carrying on my research.

Thanks!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
You were told wrong. Table should be mid 50's and depth mid 60's. #3 has very nice numbers BUT at that angle we can't see the faceting pattern and it also appears to have under the table mushy looking. You don't want any of those gray mushy looking diamonds.

Example: that 2.39c F VS1 I posted below has clear and crisp faceting face up! It is beautiful. F is colorless as are most G's.

CUT IS KING...color and clarity have nothing to do with the beauty and high performance of a diamond.

And you want a high crown which is produced by the smaller tables. Historically cushions have had those high crowns which give it that pillowy look....thus "cushion" shape.

Do you want square or more elongated/rectangular?

This one will look huge. 6.5mm x 8.3 elongated cushion. but again the faceting is not as nice as that 2.39 F VS1.

You don't need such a high color and clarity to get a beautiful diamond. An eye clean SI1 will save you big $$ and a G will look as white as a D/E to the naked eye.

This one is very nice: 2.39. F VS1. 7.81 x7.81mm
Crown 16%. Table 57.5 Depth 67

See this diamond ...you have to be able to view a cushion face up to see if the faceting is nice.

Here is the coup de grace for cushion cut diamond....look at this facet pattern....an 8 main cushion cut. SEE THE STAR PATTERN on the cert. RARE to find an 8 main star cushion cut diamond!!!! RARE!!! This diamond is my very favorite cushion on this site. See how the pattern is on the face of the diamond as it rotates? It is more expensive than the 2.39 but this is your very best of the best cushion cuts.

I've looked at lab cushions here in the states and never seen one EVER!

VVS is over kill on clarity. And you really don't want to pay the premium just to get an eye clean diamond. You just want eye clean. A good SI1 can be eye clean. And usually a VS2 will also be eye clean.

OMG! This site has some antique cut cushions! The facet pattern on the GIA reports are giving them a bow tie. Newly cut Antique cut diamonds are really popular.

To see well cut cushions go to distinctive gem.com and check out their August Vintage line...cut for PERFORMANCE! This will give you an education on great cushion cut diamonds. Jon perfected the performance of cushion cut diamonds.

The 2.39 F VS1 if you want square is going to be a beautiful diamond IMO. I would put a hold on that one...faces up very large almost like a 3c! 8 x8 mm

And if you budget will allow DEFINITELY THIS RARE cushion cut! The 2.40 G VS1

Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Ok, another needle in the haystack 8 main cushion in the USA. 3c. F VS2
8.83 x 8.69mm. $6,000 USD....$4800 British pounds

They ship world wide.

There is no such thing as a diamond that is too big. Especially among PSrs!

Ritani is a very good company here in the USA.

Last edited:

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
I've found Ritani and Fire & Brilliance offer the best pricing. Both ship international and they will usually have the same inventory as the others. So if you find a stone with one vendor, you can usually find it with these two, just a lot cheaper.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results