shape
carat
color
clarity

Silver & crem dress - inappropriate for a wedding?

Is this inappropriate for a wedding guest to wear?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to get opinions unbiased by the back story, so I won''t say anything other than... generally speaking, do you think this dress is inappropriate for a wedding guest?

bcbgcreamsilverdress.jpg

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of getting this dress to wear to my bridal shower or my hometown reception! I love it!
As a bride I don''t think I would mind if someone wore it because it''s not stark white, and it''s short enough that it doesn''t look like a wedding gown. I''m especially picturing it at an outdoor, warm-weather affair where people would all probably be wearing lighter colors.

Oh, also if a guest wore it with colorful shoes, I think that would make it look even less bridey, and therefore totally acceptable.

But I personally wouldn''t wear it to another woman''s wedding because I''m over-sensitive to the fact that brides want to stand out in their white gowns.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m kind of on the fence about it. As long as the bridesmaids are dressed totally differently and the wedding gown is clearly nothing like it, then I wouldn''t think it would stand out as too bridal. But I would probably try not to wear solid white or off white to a wedding.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t really "get" a lot of bridal etiquette - I happily eloped, hunted for months to find a nice red dress (couldn''t, though, so I ended up in something that looked a lot like the pic you posted), and am generally quite oblivious to the niceties of weddings. And I probably wouldn''t wear that to somebody else''s ceremony (but only because a year and change on PriceScope have tipped me off to the fact it would be stepping on the bride''s toes).

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I really don''t see a problem wearing white to a wedding. I wouldn''t just because I know I''m in the minority.
That dress looks fine to me, I don''t think it''s inappropriate, but I wouldn''t wear it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted inappropriate for a wedding. It''s just a little close to bridal for me. I actually have a friend who had a destination wedding and wore something very similar for her wedding dress.

There are just so many other cute options out there that I don''t see the need to wear a cream dress to a wedding unless you''re the bride! It might be a little silly because of course everyone will know who the bride is, but I still stick to no (solid or close to solid) cream or white at a wedding.

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE that dress and almost bought it awhile back but didn''t because I needed a dress to wear to some weddings and didn''t want to ruffle any feathers by wearing a white-ish dress. I actually wouldn''t mind if someone wore a dress like it to my wedding but you never know how a bride might feel about the issue. If it''s a close friend''s wedding and you know she wouldn''t care then I''d say get it bc it''s such an adorable dress.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always thought that I did not like the idea, but the more I think about it the more it would depend on the size of the wedding.

For a smaller wedding I would say absolutely not and it would bother me that a guest was wearing that dress. with a smaller wedding that guest in white-ish would stand out.

For a larger wedding I would probably care less because I probably wouldn''t have to see that dress the entire time and although she would still be wearing white she wouldn''t stand out as much in a huge wedding as much as she would if it were more intimate.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I was raised with certain old-fashioned "rules"...one of which is you never wear white, ivory, cream, or any other color that is considered a bridal color to a wedding unless you are the bride. I personally would be miffed if one of my guests wore that to my wedding.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 9:30:20 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''m kind of on the fence about it. As long as the bridesmaids are dressed totally differently and the wedding gown is clearly nothing like it, then I wouldn''t think it would stand out as too bridal. But I would probably try not to wear solid white or off white to a wedding.

Ditto, I am not sure I would not wear it and I would probably be like WTH if someone wore it more wedding...so many other colours apart from white yanno.

Now I am curious about the back story :D.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 10:24:11 PM
Author: Deelight
Now I am curious about the back story :D.
Oh it''s nothing remotely exciting, I just didn''t want to affect the results at all either way
1.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I voted "no" assuming that the person would accessorize to make it look seperate from the bridal party (A wrap, clutch, necklace, etc).

whitetulips

Shiny_Rock
I said no, but I really wouldn''t care if people showed up to my wedding wearing white or cream or whatever. I haven''t seen the dress in person, but from the picture it looks like the silver would really stand out, thus making it less wedding-y and more appropriate. However; my fiance just saw this post and he said: "I would care if somebody showed up to our wedding in a white dress. I would very possibly make them change or call them out. I''m not kidding."

Hmmm. I guess everybody has a different opinion. Weddings bring out the crazy in people.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My SIL wore a cream and silver dress to my wedding - it was more silver - a silver band at her ribs and then cream swirls on the silver background. It was gorgeous, and I thought it was definitely appropriate, and it looked great in photos.

My rule of thumb is that if you''re in a photo next to the bride and your outfits blend together, don''t wear the outfit. If there is enough contrast that the two of you can stand next together and not look like you share a body, then it''s fine.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I voted Yes.

But if you were wearing a sweater with it that made it look different or even a different belt then maybe. But I am by no means a conventional proper etiquette-y person but I still do believe you shouldn''t wear white to a wedding. even silver and white/cream/ivory whichever. UNLESS the dress was mostly silver then maybe. Even if etiquette isn''t a big deal for everyone it is for some people. Like maybe the bride won''t care but her mom will flip out. Who knows!

I don''t think I was a bridezilla or anything but I think I wouldn''t have liked it had someone show up wearing white. But accessorized with other colors would have been fine. Seriously i don''t think that dress is that offensive at all. But better safe than sorry.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t really care what people wear to my wedding as long as it''s not distasteful and vulgar in any way. I don''t think anyone is going to detract from the six foot woman in the big dress. lol
3.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
If you were the bride asking me if you should be upset that a guest wore this to your wedding, I would say no, as it should have been perfectly clear as to who the bride was. At the same time, as a guest, I think it has the potential to ruffle feathers. It is a very pretty dress, but it would leave me thinking, really? She couldn''t find any other color dress to where? So I voted no. Meanwhile, I keep wondering if there is a way to ask all those who have been a bride, to wear their wedding dress to my own wedding, ''cause really, who doesn''t want to wear their dress again?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the question was already biased, since you asked if the dress was INappropriate to wear (instead of asking if it was appropriate, which is a more open-ended question!
3.gif
). Semantics aside, I wouldn't be offended if someone wore that to my wedding. I am just incredibly happy to share my day with the people I care, regardless of what they wear.

Like I mentioned earlier, my cousin wore her WEDDING DRESS to my Indian wedding....I really didn't care much.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think its really in appropriate - so many brides are wearing ivory or champagne these days, I wouldn''t want to risk it...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh sheesh, Kama
3.gif
I disagree on which word choice would''ve created a stronger bias, but that''s neither here nor there.

Back story: we have a wedding to attend next summer and I told my husband that I didn''t have anything to wear, and then he reminded me that I have this little number hanging in our closet. I told him it wouldn''t work for a wedding because of the color. He said I was being silly: it''s okay because of the silver. I''m using the powers of BWW to prove my point
9.gif

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I am sitting in a room full of girls and I showed them the dress and we all think it is inappropriate for a wedding based strictly on the colour. It is absolutely adorable otherwise.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that if a cute colored sweater was worn over it, colored jewelry, shoes and a purse, it''d be fine. It''s all in how you accessorize.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted "inappropriate" ... my husband, sitting next to me, thought that was CRAZY! He almost logged in to cancel out my vote.
3.gif
Pretty dress though!
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 12:04:05 AM
Author: musey
Oh sheesh, Kama
3.gif
I disagree on which word choice would''ve created a stronger bias, but that''s neither here nor there.

Back story: we have a wedding to attend next summer and I told my husband that I didn''t have anything to wear, and then he reminded me that I have this little number hanging in our closet. I told him it wouldn''t work for a wedding because of the color. He said I was being silly: it''s okay because of the silver. I''m using the powers of BWW to prove my point
9.gif

So when you going shopping
31.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I voted yes. I don''t think it looks bridal or anything like that, but we have all heard of the rule not to wear white/cream/ivory to a wedding because, well, it''s an etiquette rule. Whether you agree with this rule or not, it still exists, so even if the bride doesn''t care about etiquette, there will probably be SOMEONE at the wedding who does who is offended, and I know I personally would be worried about it, and a wedding is not a time I want to be worried about how I look all night.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 9:02:30 AM
Author: Sabine
I voted yes. I don''t think it looks bridal or anything like that, but we have all heard of the rule not to wear white/cream/ivory to a wedding because, well, it''s an etiquette rule. Whether you agree with this rule or not, it still exists, so even if the bride doesn''t care about etiquette, there will probably be SOMEONE at the wedding who does who is offended, and I know I personally would be worried about it, and a wedding is not a time I want to be worried about how I look all night.
Ditto here...I wouldn''t care at all if someone wore white to my own wedding (in fact i am pretty sure i wouldn''t even notice on that day). But the reason I voted that it was inappropriate is there will be TONS of people who do care and who will not like it. Wondering all night long whether other people "thought" i was being inappropriate or not would drive me nuts...in fact i just went to a wedding last year where the sister of the groom wore a long ivory dress and i mentioned it to my mother, because i thought it was strange. The bride, on the other hand, probably didn''t care at all!

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s a gorgeous dress, but probably not right for a wedding.

To a reception recently I wore a short white dress (my old graduation dress - the only thing in my closet at the time). The bride was wearing green AND had seen this dress before, AND had given me the ''okay'' to wear it. I still felt uncomfortable!

Besides, now you have an excuse to go shopping!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that dress is absolutely fine for a wedding. (And it''s gorgeous, by the way.)

In fact, I find that much more appropriate than all of the black that people seem to be wearing to weddings nowadays. I was raised that it is terribly rude to wear black to a wedding, and light colors, including white, are appropriate. I''d never wear black to a wedding, but I would wear that dress, Musey.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is fine. I would make sure you know your bride though. I would imagine most do not care, but that there would be the occasional one that does.

I wore a white eyelet dress to my sister''s wedding with her approval...I had a blue pashmina and teh dress had a big black sash....I was a poor undergrad student and had bought the dress as my graduation dress and then her wedding ended up being the weekend before. everything else I had was much more wintery, or not dresst enough, so I asked her and she said whatever....I don''t think anyone is going to mix us up, and I understand.

Your dress is really pretty...I would wear it!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 9:02:30 AM
Author: Sabine

Just to be clear, current etiquette does not advise against wearing white to a wedding.

Emily Post''s Etiquette advises: "In the past, no female guest would dare to wear white--the bride''s traditional color. Today, that rule is no longer in effect, and you may wear white, with caution. Whatever the shade of white, the outfit should in no way distract from the bride''s or her attendant''s dresses." (711) She goes on to say that you should not wear a full-skirted white evening gown.

She also says black is also acceptable today, but to add a bright accessory so you don''t look too funereal. I still maintain that wearing black to a wedding is vulgar, so I understand if some brides would likewise be offended at a guest wearing white, even though both are acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results