shape
carat
color
clarity

Silver & crem dress - inappropriate for a wedding?

Is this inappropriate for a wedding guest to wear?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I would say it is OK only if paired with a colorful cardigan or wrap that "breaks up" the white/silver color.

It is a lovely dress though!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It''s not appropriate IMO. True that no one will think you''re the bride, but my social set would be shocked, Emily Post''s new "rules" or not.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Deleted. I didn't read the poll correctly.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 1:05:30 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I think that if a cute colored sweater was worn over it, colored jewelry, shoes and a purse, it''d be fine. It''s all in how you accessorize.

Yesterday I voted that it was inappropriate because it just appears to be more cream than silver. After re-reading the thread ITA with Freke that its all in how you accessorize. With colored shoes, jewelery, and a colorful wrap or cardigan it would be acceptable. If you wore that to my wedding I don''t think that I''d have a second thought about it beyond, "Wow! Such a cute dress!"

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
I voted No, it would not be inappropriate.

That being said, I wore that exact same dress for my rehearsal dinner! I probably would have been surprised if someone wore that to my wedding, only because I had worn it the day before. But surprised does not mean upset. One guest at my wedding a stark white dress, and I couldn''t have cared less.

I would love to wear that dress again, but the main occasion I have to get dresses up is for weddings. My husband suggested I wear it to a wedding a couple of months ago, but I felt weird. If I seriously had nothing else to wear, though, I say go for it.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t mind personally but I know a lot of people would so I''m gonna say no to be safe!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I''m thinking if there''s even the slightest risk of offending the bride, just don''t go there, but I''m with Freke in that, with colorful accessories, particularly a colorful cardigan to break up the color of the dress, it''d be a beautiful (and economical) choice. Wearing it solo, however, would be taking a pretty big risk of offending someone.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I also want to add to my previous statement that, typically, when one is unsure of the appropriateness of their clothing, they tend to be uncomfortable in it as well, so the bigger question for me would be whether you would feel so uncomfortable with your choice that it would affect whether you have a good time. Just something else to chew on...I really love that dress, though!

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 10:39:25 PM
Author: Elmorton
My rule of thumb is that if you''re in a photo next to the bride and your outfits blend together, don''t wear the outfit. If there is enough contrast that the two of you can stand next together and not look like you share a body, then it''s fine.

Agree 100%. If it''s a big enough wedding and you''re a distant enough friend/relation that you probably won''t be next to the bride, then it''s okay. Otherwise I would shy away from wearing cream.

(Of course, I''m getting married in a bright red dress, so for my wedding cream is totally fine but red is a no-no and pink''s going to clash horribly.)

sugarjo

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to jump in and ask where that lovely number is from....
Love it...

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
That dress is beyond adorable. And its a perfect summer dress. Then again I'm in Miami and have gotten used to women showing up to weddings in cream dresses. I'm sort of immune to it now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really cute dress!!! But please go buy a new one for the wedding!!! No point in causing controversy, and judging from the poll results, you WOULD be causing some controversy at someone else''s wedding!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 8:50:51 PM
Author: sugarjo

Love it...
BCBG

Thanks everyone! The poll is more split than I expected. Of course, bottom line is that wearing it is not staying on the ''safe side,'' which I''d be more comfortable doing!

I actually wore this dress to our post-wedding hometown reception, so in my mind it''s a bit bridal already.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 10:45:51 PM
Author: musey

Love it...
BCBG

Thanks everyone! The poll is more split than I expected. Of course, bottom line is that wearing it is not staying on the ''safe side,'' which I''d be more comfortable doing!

I actually wore this dress to our post-wedding hometown reception, so in my mind it''s a bit bridal already.
I suspect that some people misunderstood the poll because there are people who said they voted no who would not wear it. If you would not wear it, then you should vote yes... unless you''re saying that you don''t think it''s inappropriate but you still wouldn''t wear it.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh interesting! I didn''t catch that. I figured the title (inappropriate for a wedding?) would lead to "yes, inappropriate" or "no, appropriate" but I should''ve written it as such. I''m usually more careful with my polls. Whoops!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 12:04:05 AM
Oh sheesh, Kama
3.gif
I disagree on which word choice would''ve created a stronger bias, but that''s neither here nor there.

Back story: we have a wedding to attend next summer and I told my husband that I didn''t have anything to wear, and then he reminded me that I have this little number hanging in our closet. I told him it wouldn''t work for a wedding because of the color. He said I was being silly: it''s okay because of the silver. I''m using the powers of BWW to prove my point
9.gif
36.gif
Silly boy, he will learn not to argue with the boss
9.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 1:32:49 AM
Author: Guilty Pleasure

Love it...
BCBG

Thanks everyone! The poll is more split than I expected. Of course, bottom line is that wearing it is not staying on the 'safe side,' which I'd be more comfortable doing!

I actually wore this dress to our post-wedding hometown reception, so in my mind it's a bit bridal already.
I suspect that some people misunderstood the poll because there are people who said they voted no who would not wear it. If you would not wear it, then you should vote yes... unless you're saying that you don't think it's inappropriate but you still wouldn't wear it.
I voted NO but only because I too mis-read the Q. I wouldn't wear that dress to someone else's wedding. I'd be uncomfortable with wearing anything that might offend the bride. My stupid sister wore her own wedding dress to my wedding (and yes, you read that right!!) that she'd worn two weeks prior to mine. I know your dress is not a wedding dress, but I'd still be careful with anything that might resemble a wedding dress, no matter how remote.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I messed up with the voting too by voting no when I should have voted yes. I personally would not wear it to a wedding. I think it''s a beautiful dress but as others have said there are so many different colours to wear so for someone elses wedding I would steer clear of ivory, white, cream etc. I would probably notice if someone wore it to mine but I don''t know if I''d be annoyed or not.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
My theory is why out of all the colours available, would one want to pick a colour assoiciated with the bride (cream, white, silvery white etc). Lots of other colour choices.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 9:41:47 AM
Author: D2B
My theory is why out of all the colours available, would one want to pick a colour assoiciated with the bride (cream, white, silvery white etc). Lots of other colour choices.
I don't think any (or at least most) reasonable people would actively choose a white dress to wear for a wedding, it's a matter of what you already have in your closet (because I don't know about you, but I don't tend to buy an item of clothing specifically for a single occasion, generally speaking). I happen to not have any appropriate clothing for a wedding that isn't white, only because I have just this one dress that's appropriate otherwise (length, dress level). All my colored dresses are, um, inappropriate in other ways for a wedding
2.gif
3.gif
(but great for clubbing!).

In other words, I wouldn't go out and buy this dress to wear to a wedding, but it's worth questioning if it's all that's currently available to me.

Regardless, I do agree that one should not choose to wear white in order to avoid miffing people, and while this may be "all I have," I should attempt to alter what I have for the sake of this and future weddings. It's tough to justify, wardrobe-wise, though - especially from the viewpoint of my husband
2.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I really love the dress!

Heather9410

Rough_Rock
Honestly I think it depends on the type of bride. Personally I wouldn''t care because the only thing that looks remotely similiar to a wedding dress is maybe the color. Unless they wore a white ball gown I wouldn''t care because I don''t think anyone would deter their attention from the bride and groom just because of a simple whitish dress. Then there are brides like my sister who are very sensitive to the color and would probably handle it but not appreciate it. I think if you have to question whether its ok or not...its not. There are plently of beautiful dresses out there to chose from so why risk it? I wore a white strapless, past the knee length simple tube dress a wedding.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I voted yes, inappropriate because I would not wear the dress as is. Even if the bride is not the type to care, I would not want to wonder what other people are thinking about me. However, I agree with others that if you put a colorful cardigan over it and added colorful shoes and accessories, then it would be fine - only if the cardigan stays on the whole time though!

As for wearing black to weddings, I think it is fine for evening weddings, but I wouldn''t wear a black dress to a daytime summer event. I have worn black before and added red or dark pink shoes and pashmina and a fun clutch. I used to be in the no-black camp when I was growing up, but considering that most weddings I have been to have been more like evening cocktail parties than religious gatherings, the black cocktail dress makes sense. In fact, the only reason I try not to wear black now is because I feel like everyone else is wearing black!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
When in doubt, don''t...it''s to close for comfort, I wouldn''t wear it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve changed my mind. Wear it ... but ADD to the ensemble: a netting-type hair ornament & clutch fresh flower bouquet! THAT''ll turn some heads.
11.gif
31.gif
25.gif

violet02

Ideal_Rock
So I just got this book in the mail today. It''s called:

do I have to wear white?
Emily Post Answers America''s Top Wedding Questions
by Anna Post

it''s actually quite good.

here''s what she says about wearing white:
Q: "Is it appropriate to wear black or white to the wedding?"
A: Although it was long considered taboo to wear white - only the bride could wear white - or black - hey, it''s not a funeral - the ban on both colors has fallen to fashion and formality. Today, it''s fine to wear either color - with caution!
If you wear white, your outfit should in no way reflect compete with, or distract attention from the bride and her attendatns. A creamy white silk sheath or suit might be fine, but a full-lenghth evenign gown would not. Black is also acceptable, especially at formal evening weddings. In both cases, consider adding a bright accessory. However, if you have any doubts wear another color.

So its'' not so wrong anymore after all.
1.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

Love it...

BCBG

The dress is gorgeous--it must have looked perfect for that reception!

May I also add that I think BCBG makes some of the most gorgeous dresses ever? You have excellent taste, Musey.

I''d be with you on staying on the "safe side." If you''re looking for an inexpensive, gorgeous dress, check out a BCBG outlet or Arden B. You can look super-stylish and wedding-appropriate all at once
1.gif
!

I''m sure you will look lovely whatever you pick.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Wear a colorful wrap with it!

courtney5638

Rough_Rock
I voted No, thinking that I was voting that the dress was inappropriate. But after reading everyone''s posts, I think it would look great with a colorful sweater or wrap and some cute shoes. On it''s own, however, I am on the fence. Absolutely love the dress though!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the posts, everyone!

I''ll be perusing eBay for another BCBG dress - a colored one
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results