shape
carat
color
clarity

Silly Ring size question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
with all the decisions to make for the wedding, I am starting to feel overwhelmed by even what would be the simplest of decisions.

I think I have found by WB, now the question of size. My ER is a 4.5. I can buy the WB the shop have in current inventory in a 4.25. It fits me, but now that I know the size, the psychology of it gets to me and I am thinking it might be just a hair too small. my 4.5 firs me well, but when its cold i does get loose. one jeweler thought I should go to a 4.25, but I''ve liked the way the 4.5 fits. The reason I am pondering this is if we buy the 4.25 from inventory, we save $400 vs ordering the 4.5.

I know in the overall scheme $400 is not a huge amt of money, but every bit helps. And, like I said the ring fit, but psychologically, I am thinking it will be a smidge too small.

help, I am going to drive myself nuts
20.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depending on the design of the ring, a jeweller should be able to stretch it to a 4.5. Does your band have pave or flush set stones?

Ask an indepedent jeweller about this (with $400 on the table, I can see why the seller might not mention this).

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
its a bar set eternity, so I am not sure it was be "stretched"??

bar setting solomon.JPG

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi mintve! Okay so your engagement ring is a 4.5 and the wedding band is a 4.25. With this small amount difference in the size I think it would be okay and also cut down on finger cleavage in the future if any weight is gained or even from summer heat.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I wear a 4 1/2 too and I hate the way my rings spin in the winter. I would be happy to go with a 4.25. If you feel like it fits go for it and save the 400
35.gif

chickpea

Shiny_Rock
if there is enough metal, it''s sometimes possible to shave a little out from the inside of the ring (without compromising its strength/integrity) in order to gain a bit of size on a full eternity. a quarter size is usually doable unless there''s very delicate micropave.

also consider your jeweler''s return policy... perhaps you could buy the 4.25, try it around the house for a few days and see how you feel about the size. if it still feels too small (physically or psychologically) and it''s not possible to shave out some metal, you could then return it and order the larger size.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
The only thing I would caution you about is that sometimes you have to go up a tad in size when you''re wearing 2 rings because of the width- I think the above poster''s idea to try it for a few days is a great suggestion- you can wear it with your ering and see how it feels. I wore a 4.75 when I got engaged and the ring was perfect. When I added the wedding band because of the additional width it was too tight and I had to have them sized up to a 5.

Whatever you decide, it''s a beautiful ring!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don''t remember your e-ring. Is it thick or thin. I am asking because one jeweler told me that a thinner ring will need a slightly smaller ring size. It sounds like the 4.25 might work well for you. You should, like other people said, find out if it can be shaved.

Also, would you be ok getting a new ring if your ring size changed in the future?

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 1:39:30 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I don''t remember your e-ring. Is it thick or thin. I am asking because one jeweler told me that a thinner ring will need a slightly smaller ring size. It sounds like the 4.25 might work well for you. You should, like other people said, find out if it can be shaved.

Also, would you be ok getting a new ring if your ring size changed in the future?
My e-ring is thick and hte WB is about 2mm.

I am hoping I dont have to worry about the new size in the futre, but anything is possible...as we age, have kids, etc. I think that is part of why I was leaning toward a 4.5

here is my e-ring

mel close up ring.JPG

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hiya mintve--I''d try to get it in a 4.5, because of the width of your e-ring shank. When worn together, they will feel tighter.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
i just spoke to the jewelry store and the sales woman told me it can be stretched 1/2 size in eitehr direction b/c of the style. she also said if nead be in the future if I gained a lot of weight, etc. they can add a size car in the back since this ring has a good amount of metal in it.

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
That''s great! Works out terrific and all is happy!
emteeth.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely try the two on together because if the 4.25 is snug the set together will be tight. I prefer to do this sort of thing right the first time since you can''t really re-size an eternity band that well.

ysj99

Shiny_Rock
mintve, my e-ring is 3.5mm wide and my wedding band will be a plain 2mm band. I also went through the sizing "psychology" too! E-ring is 3.25 and band is 3. I think you have to take into consideration the shape of your finger. My finger is smallest at the very bottom so the band will sit there very nicely with the e-ring on top. Also, like LtlFirecracker said, you can go a little smaller in a thin ring.

Regardless, you will have a gorgeous set!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great that they can make the current ring a bit bigger. How does that sit with you or are you still unsure about it?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a relief! It is a bit odd that it would be $400 more to order, though, just because they don''t have it in stock. What gives? It doesn''t seem a big enough difference in size that they''d add in another diamond or anything...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 5:09:16 PM
Author: mintve
i just spoke to the jewelry store and the sales woman told me it can be stretched 1/2 size in eitehr direction b/c of the style. she also said if nead be in the future if I gained a lot of weight, etc. they can add a size car in the back since this ring has a good amount of metal in it.
Glad to hear you have options. FWIW, like others said, when you''re wearing too rings, you need to adjust size accordingly (one of my rings is either .25 or .5 size smaller).

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your input. I''ve been driving my fiance nuts obsessing over it. I think I am going to get the in stock ring and wear it around the house a few weeks. If its too small I will either get it re sized or return it and order the bigger size. Its good to hear that others have two different sizes as well. I just worry about what happens if I get all big and fat one day...I guess a .25 difference is not that big...I will keep you posted.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 9:24:58 PM
Author: mintve
I just worry about what happens if I get all big and fat one day...I guess a .25 difference is not that big...
If that happened, you''d need bigger than a 4.5 anyway
2.gif

I talked with a SA about this, and he said that (A) you don''t know what''s going to happen with your body/fingers in the future, so you may as well buy what fits now, and (B) if you buy/supplement your ring (with sizing bars/etc.) just in case you gain a bunch of weight, you''re enabling yourself to gain a bunch of weight
3.gif
(very silly and not really all that true, but it made me laugh).

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I''m wearing a 5.75 and I wish was smaller, the stone keeps falling to the side. Go for 4.25 if that fits you better =)
41.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that your "get it and wear it around the house" is a good idea. After that you can decide whether you need a bigger size.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely get the bigger size. When two rings are worn together, they both feel tighter!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
i got the biger size and have been wearing it around the house. its very comfy, so I am so glad I went a bit bigger.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi mintve :)

i have some good news for you re your wedding ring being slightly smaller.

since you''re going for a full set diamond round band, you''ll find that, were it the same size as your engagement ring, when you looked at your finger, the wedding ring would protrude slightly, as it will be thicker than your engagement ring. so, looking down on your finger, they wouldn''t exactly line up.

but, when you like up an engagement ring with normal thickness shank, with a slightly SMALLER wedding ring with a thicker-than-normal shank (as all full diamond eternity bands are), they''ll line up much more neatly and look like they go together much better.

so my suggestion would be go with the smaller band - you''ll save considerable money ($400 ain''t nuthin''!) - AND it will look better!

yay!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results