shape
carat
color
clarity

silly observations at a jewelry store..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dietvanillacoke

Rough_Rock
hi everyone, i don''t post often but i don''t know what came over me.. so here goes!

i had a bit of an adventure this past weekend.. my aunt works at a small jewelry store about an hour north of where i live so i ventured out there finally to get my ring resized (i got my ring in november... getting it resized in february... yeeeah...) and YAY, my ring is finally my size (a 6! i was like... you''ve got to be kidding me... i was wearing it as a 7 all this time... no wonder it was spinning all the time). now it fits nice and snugly and i feel so much better.. not to mention boy does the stone look bigger! i know, 1 size is not that much to size down but it seriously looks like a larger stone.

when the jeweler resized it my sidestones came loose...
6.gif
i was so scared but he tightened them up for me nice and good.

a few things... the jewelry store is not the greatest but the jeweler does have over ten years of experience doing minor things like resizing (my ring has just 2 channel set simple side stones, nothing fancy) so i wasn''t too worried.. plus it was free. the gold on the top of one of my side stones is just a bit dented but nothing you can really see since it''s so close to the stone. the underside of the ring (the part that doesn''t show) is not perfectly round but no one can see that really... and the underside SEEMS to be a bit yellowing (i have white gold).

so these things make me a bit uneasy, but my ring fits beautifully and it was free. plus my fiance promises that i can get both my e-ring and my wedding ring re-set in platinum once he starts making money (he''s in school right now)... hmm maybe i will make a call to leon... hehe.. i''ve never been happy with the prongs either (they are all a bit uneven) so i think that will be the time for my ring to be made over (but in the same style it is in now).

here are pics and specs in case any of you forgot me!

1.2C, J VS2, med. blue flourescence, size 7 in these pics taken before the resizing.
IMGP2211-vi.jpg

IMGP2205-vi.jpg

oh and my other observation was while i was waiting for the resizing to be done... my aunt let me try on a bunch of different shapes of stones (CZ), which i had never done before. may i say that i was wrong when i thought any style would look ok! marquis officially looks AWFUL on my hand!! i have yet to try a pear shape (she didn''t have one) but here''s hoping that it will look good (i want a pear shaped sapphire for a RHR one day)... but boy did princess and emerald cuts look goooood. heh. oh well, i still love my classic round brilliant the best.

and can i hear an amen from those engaged but yet to be married: I CAN''T WAIT FOR MY MATCHING WEDDING BAND!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful, dvc!

The ring may need to be rhodium plated again if it''s showing some yellow.

If the prongs and the dent bother you, I bet they could be touched up by a competent bench jeweler for not too much money.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is lovely! It does indeed sound like your ring needs a fresh rhodium dip. The dent and the out of round shank can be fixed, but you may need to pay someone else to do it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
very pretty. be sure to post pics with the matching wedding band
1.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Your J looks great!!!
2.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
It''s beautiful, and looks perfect on your hand!
30.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2005 4
6.gif
5:52 PM
Author:dietvanillacoke
hi everyone, i don't post often but i don't know what came over me.. so here goes!

when the jeweler resized it my sidestones came loose...
6.gif
i was so scared but he tightened them up for me nice and good.

Congrats on getting your ring resized...it makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it?
2.gif

When my rings were resized (both e-ring and w-ring), the entire setting had to be reset because all my baguettes would've come loose as yours did! As long as the jeweler knows what they're doing (which yours sounds like he did) then you're okay...

a few things... the jewelry store is not the greatest but the jeweler does have over ten years of experience doing minor things like resizing (my ring has just 2 channel set simple side stones, nothing fancy) so i wasn't too worried.. plus it was free. the gold on the top of one of my side stones is just a bit dented but nothing you can really see since it's so close to the stone. the underside of the ring (the part that doesn't show) is not perfectly round but no one can see that really... and the underside SEEMS to be a bit yellowing (i have white gold).

Like others have said, you can easily get that dent out...that shouldn't be any problem. Same with the roundness of the ring. You can have a jeweler take care of that as well. My ring seems a little duller on the underneath of my finger as well. Not so much yellowing, just duller. I have the 18K WG as well...getting it re-rhodiumed won't be a problem and is an easy fix. It seems to be affected only where the resizing took place.

so these things make me a bit uneasy, but my ring fits beautifully and it was free. plus my fiance promises that i can get both my e-ring and my wedding ring re-set in platinum once he starts making money (he's in school right now)...

If you're "uneasy" about anything this jeweler did through the resizing (especially if the gold is yellowing in the sized area) then let him know! There's no reason why you should be unhappy with the work.

... but boy did princess and emerald cuts look goooood. heh. oh well, i still love my classic round brilliant the best.

I
30.gif
30.gif
emerald cuts for this reason!!! They look great on the finger and seems to elongate the fingers as well!!! I also love the clean, step cuts of the EC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results