shape
carat
color
clarity

Silky 'opalescent' sapphires/spinels - where to find?

Elirock

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have an interest in buying one of those neat silky stones that have a flash that is distinct from the bodycolor. For example, a pink stone with orange or purple flash. I have seen this referred to as 'opalescence' in marketing. My favorites are the pinks and blue/green stones. I feel like these are quite popular, but I have no idea which sellers are worth looking at which might have stock of something like this. My budget is a modest 1k.

I have seen most of this material on instagram seller accounts, however, I prefer to purchase from a more established seller with accurate representation, is honest about treatment, maybe can get a lab report etc.

I know Tucson is coming along, and I will ask a dealer who I am familiar with and is happy to take a look on my behalf. In the meantime, I want to see more of what is out there online, so I get a better sense of what I want. And if the Tucson hunt fails, I will have other sources to look to after.

Here are some examples. Any advice appreciated!

Elirock

Rough_Rock
For those who don't like links, here's screenshots
IMG_20240108_135306_120.jpg IMG_20240108_135303_944.jpg IMG_20240108_135302_292.jpg

Elirock

Rough_Rock
@minousbijoux - thank you, this gives me more perspective. I see that Multicolour site popped up a few times, inventory seems huge. I am not sure if I could discern that the flashes a stone gives off are a different hue than the bodycolor, from their photos. It is worth for me to take a look.

@lovedogs @musicloveranthony thank you both. Beautiful stone but, unfortunately, the color zoning would bother me I think (I believe thats what it is - most visible as a streak of blue from the corner). I know these opalescent spinels/sapphires are commonly zoned, but some like the ones I showed above are uniform (at least face-up). I find I am also leaning to pinks/purples/reds more, too.

I would be grateful to hear more thoughts/opinions/experiences or get directed to more sources!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have followed stellamarisgems on IG and agree that those stones are cool. I do worry that they have incredible potential to look ordinary or even meh in all but the most special lighting. I'm looking for something that will look good in most lighting environments and not just under a fiber optic spotlight or equatorial full sun at mid-day.

Elirock

Rough_Rock
@LilAlex @Bron357
Thank you both for the warnings on IRL vs vendor depictions. I am aware this is a potential pitfall. I trust the vendor checking for something in Tucson on my behalf. So, I will bring up the concern about flatness/ordinary look in most lighting situations, as a concern. And ask if it's even realistic to look for one that has the desired look in most or at least some common lighting situations.
Love your ring and stone, Bron. I saw it on the silky stone threads linked in this thread, and admired it then.

@landscape
Amazing pieces, thanks for sharing.
I am leaning more towards a spinel just because it's less likely to be treated, but open to both. I know oiling is becoming more common in spinel.
I also noticed most sapphires like this are from Vietnam, but did not know most of these spinels are from Tanzania.

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I owned a purple/pink Vietnamese set in a beautiful ring a while back. While the stone looked really cool in sunlight, it was more ordinary otherwise if I remember correctly. They are very photogenic as well, the orange flashes were more prominent in pictures than irl. Although I loved it, I sold the ring for different reasons. But do keep in mind it definitely won't look like vendor photos/videos all the time.

20221028_152208.jpg 20221029_093810.jpg 20221019_183317.jpg Screenshot_20221015-181332_Etsy.jpg

Elirock

Rough_Rock
@CBianco - thanks for the useful images to gauge expectations vs reality. What a huge difference in potential appearance.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I spent quite some time last year looking for an opalescent sapphire (with lots of help from people on this forum!). Generally speaking Vietnam produces pink/purple/red ones, but are usually on the smaller side and zoned. Sri Lanka and African origins yield more green/blue ones with maybe a larger selection, or a maybe they have a larger gem trade market?
From what I've seen the important factor is the right amount and even distribution of silk.
Madagascar material from an IG vendor I ended up returning. The video shot under strong light is pretty, but irl it looked very dull and flat with some heavy zoning of milky zones
1705297145318.png 1705297271726.png

This is the one I ended up keeping from a Sri Lanka vendor and I think an example that looked rather good in most lighting environments:
1705297816955.png 1705297862046.png
Enough and even silk to create a yellow flash distinct from the green body color, but not too much.

For Vietnam material I only have a very small pink one with organge flash, in that case I think a more saturated body color helped.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results