shape
carat
color
clarity

Silk, sateen cotton, egyptian cotton sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in the market for a couple of new sheet sets. My bf has had 1000 ct. sateen cotton sheets for a few years, and they''re finally starting to giveway. Although he doesn''t don''t want to spend a TON of money on sheets, I do understand sometimes it''s necessesary in linens if you want them to last longer than 6 months. SO... he''s willing to sacrafice.

This morning I got sucked into watching MSN shopping network, and saw they had some beautiful silk sheets, and it got me thinking... would I like silk sheets better? I remember a long time ago I had satin sheets, and I hated those things. They were too slippery, my feet always felt awfully scratchy, and I eventually SLID out of my own bed in the middle of the night, and when I got up off the floor I screamed, "Enough is enough!" and took them off.

I really want luxurious, comfortable, soft sheets. The kind of sheets you lay on and you just immediately fall asleep. Is this so hard to find??

Is there anything you guys recommend? Any brand, or anyone who''se opposed to certain sheets? Anyone currently have expensive silk sheets? Do you like them? Anything I should avoid?

btw.. I did read about thread counts, momme, weight and kinds of silk and cotton, so I''m aware of those numbers, but I want to hear from you guys about your favorite sheets.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try Bed Bath and Beyond. They sell all sorts of high thread count cotton sheets, etc... From the super high end to the moderate, tons to choose from. Can''t help you with silk sheets, I''ve never had them. I wonder if they pill after a while??

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m anxious to hear this too! I''m in need of some new sheets. I had bought a bunch of sateen ones from Bed, Bath and Beyond and they all got pilled and ended up feeling like flannel! Very disappointing. DH had some old sheets from before we got married and they are so soft and stay cool and have lasted a looong time. I checked the label and was shocked to see that they were 50% polyester! I''m generally a snob about high thread count, 100% cotton sheets so I was surprised that the poly blend ones were the ones I like the most!!
23.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
these are my current sheets and i love them. from BB&B.

Pure Beech® Sateen Sheet Set

check also restoration hardware & pottery barn.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve bought some really nice sheet sets from Overstock.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hee hee, I don''t know if there''s something wrong with me, or what, but I LOVE 200 TC cotton percale sheets. Yup, the cheap ones. I just really like the "crisp" factor, and even after they''re washed 50 times they start to soften up but when I make the bed or fold them fresh out of the dryer they still "snap." I know, I''m a weirdo, but it''s just one of my quirks, I guess.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try the Bamboo and Cotton ones...No joke. They are the softest things ever and they still look great after a ton of washes. Usually not too expensive either. Mine are from Target believe it or not!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
A very high thread count Eqyptian or Sea Island cotton is great. I hate satin, it is slippery and cold. A nice cotton is vital, and make sure to measure the depth of the mattress and get an appropriate drop so when you make the bed the elastic really fits well under the mattress...

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Smart Bargains is the online division of Loehman''s. My sis got some sheets from there and loves them. I ordered some towels for the kids bathroom to go with the PB ticking stripe and they are nice and thick...better than the PB towels, I think. Here''s the link http://www.smartbargains.com

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Egyptian cotton = LOVE!!! Haha. The higher the thread count, the better (although higher the price). I don''t know what happens with Sateen sheets, but they seem to change color when I sleep on them. I have toxic oils in my skin I guess, lol! Bed Bath and Beyond has a great selection of sheets to just browse.

*M*

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I just have to say how much I love my new sheets from Costco! They are 500 tc, I believe, pima cotton and they are so soft. Hubby loves them too because he loves how cool they are when he hops into bed.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! These are definitely thing''s I''m going to have to go to the store to touch. Some of the things I''ve read online say that after a few washes they either begin to pill, get scratchy, get stiff and wrinkly, or all of the above. So that''s why I''ve been reluctant to just go to the stores to buy.

sunkist, I might go to Costco to check those out!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
italian linen (not cotton) sheets from "cuddledown" on the internet.

added: if you want to spend some money try furgeson's (fergeson's) irish linen from belfast. they are about a 1000 dollar outlay but last 20-30 years or longer. They are rough at first but soften up.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
I just bought mine on sale at Macy''s... Egyptian cotton, 500 count... I LOVE them... I think I paid $60 for Queen size...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 10:57:54 PM
Author: sunkist
Hi! I just have to say how much I love my new sheets from Costco! They are 500 tc, I believe, pima cotton and they are so soft. Hubby loves them too because he loves how cool they are when he hops into bed.

My mom bought us a set from Costco as a house-warming/Valentine''s Day gift and they are awesome- we love them!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have spent way too much on bedsheets, as a self-declared linens snob. Guests always rave about my bedsheets and towels and never want to leave. I have found out that no matter how much you spend on the 500-600 thread counts at BB&B or other such places, they never are soft enough for me.

Then my friend told me to try a 1200 thread count Egyptian Cotton from Smartbargains and Overstock as the other posters mentioned. i think I paid $200 or something...WELL WORTH IT!

Unless you are used to shopping at Frette... In my opinion, after a few washes, their bedsheets are so ideal! I love different looks for spring and summer, etc, so they are VERY affordable and great quality. I have had one pair for 3 years almost and almost ashamed to admit how many times they have been washed and rewashed and they just get better and better!

Truly, I suggest trying a pair out in whatever thread count your prefer, but I needed the 1200. And with my overstuffed down pillows it''s like sleeping on a cloud in heaven. Truly.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 4:04:25 PM
Author: Nicrez
I have spent way too much on bedsheets, as a self-declared linens snob. Guests always rave about my bedsheets and towels and never want to leave. I have found out that no matter how much you spend on the 500-600 thread counts at BB&B or other such places, they never are soft enough for me.

Then my friend told me to try a 1200 thread count Egyptian Cotton from Smartbargains and Overstock as the other posters mentioned. i think I paid $200 or something...WELL WORTH IT!

Unless you are used to shopping at Frette... In my opinion, after a few washes, their bedsheets are so ideal! I love different looks for spring and summer, etc, so they are VERY affordable and great quality. I have had one pair for 3 years almost and almost ashamed to admit how many times they have been washed and rewashed and they just get better and better!

Truly, I suggest trying a pair out in whatever thread count your prefer, but I needed the 1200. And with my overstuffed down pillows it''s like sleeping on a cloud in heaven. Truly.
That''s exactly how I feel about the 1000 count sheets he got. We bought ours at Overstock also, but now they''re just wearing down. They were in storage for a year, and then we finally got them back, and they just didn''t seem the same. They felt scratchy and thin, and I found a hole recently. My boyfriend somehow managed to make the hole even bigger..
They also began to wrinkle like crazy. I mean fresh from the dryer, they were one big wrinkle ball! I actually ironed them. I''m a nerd, I know, but I wanted them pressed perfectly.

I also think it''s partly because he thinks he can add two cups of bleach to launder them! OMG i freaked out on him when I saw how much bleach he was using!!

Anyway, since you''re a linen snob, I think I''ll have to look into Frette. Thanks for the tip!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frette, Pratesi, Yves Dolormes, Porthault and Sferra Brothers all have great sheets. I love soft soft soft but not slippery. Some of the nice catalogs like Horchow (owned by Neimans) have some nice ones too. You certainly CAN spend thousands, but do not necessarily have to. You can always buy a pillowcase of what you want and wash it and see how it is! Then, if you like it, buy the rest.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Curio,

My best advice for a beginner...is learn what you like. I mean do you like a thin crisp cool sheet, sateen weave slick or a thick plush sheet?

You see you can find all the thread counts in both...but until you decide which you prefer and go with that one, you risk the chance of disappointment with the other one.

Another thing to add to the mix of (@$%#*&@ information) overload is sheet thread counts can be deceptive. Some 600 thread counts are actually only 300. They can be a dual ply or one thread twisted. Same formula on all counts. Many who buy 1000 count and are disappointed in the durability or the pilling problem would probably never go back to a high thread count again. But it is possible that the count was there...but the quality and truth weren''t.

Sheets are very much like diamonds~ and PS and a brick & morter. We know they''re (sheets/diamonds) but do we actually know they are SI or S2.../600/1000/1500tc? Here with these vendors yes. But out there...in the B&M''s we have no clue.

As Nicerez mentioned Frette is it!! But of course you need a second mortgage to pay for them. Go to BBB and get familiar with "the hand" of the fabrics. They offer a sample pillow case for most. The case is usually not laundered, just soft with oils from hands...(yuck) but it does give you an idea what to anticipate. One other great thing about BBB is IF you buy from them, if at anytime you own your sheet and you are unhappy they will take it back. Pilling is a no question asked policy! I usually store the package with receipt for easier returns if I need to. I haven''t the experience with Overstock that Nicerz has had. But she sounds quite knowledgeable about that outlet.

DKS

Oh one more thing I learned...Egyptian cotton used to be the most superior. It was a long staple fiber that lended to a softer hand...then it was Supima and the Pima or viceversa. One was from the south and the other was (well I dont remember...Arizona or some place warm) anyhoo...Supima and Pima were American made. I say were...because ALL of that has changed. Outsourceing! There are no longer American Plants growing cotton...and the Egyptian is no longer producted in Egypt. Now we are back to is it a SI or an S2?

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Check out TJ Maxx, they usually have a large selection of various brands of sheets, thread counts, etc, for darn cheap since you''ll be experimenting. Most sheets get better with time and washing.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
also --- one thing people don''t know is -- "why do my sheets come undone during the night?"

I do not buy fitted sheets. I buy flat sheets one size larger than expected.

my bed is a queen but i buy 2 king flat sheets. the sheets have enough drape on the side so when one person rolls over the other person doesn''t get the covers pulled off, and the underneath flat sheet doesn''t come undone.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ladykemma...that is an excellent tip. I bet your idea would make your linens last longer as you are constantly rotating the bottom sheet.

DKS

Swedeabroad

Rough_Rock
I wasn''t too impressed by the quality of Frette and would rather recommend Pratesi.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a 880 thread count set from a linens specialty store
in Fredericksburg Texas. They feel fantastic
At 800 thread ct., they are woven with a single ply thread, double is ok.
I have learned a little about sheeting since I got on a kick about
sheets about a year ago. Somewhere in my favorites list, I have a very
educational article about thread count. Let me see if I can didg it up for
you.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Ann,

There was a linen's/furniture store on main in Fredericksburg that sold bedding and bath and soaps, and I LOVED their linens but was sad to find out they were closing. I wonder if they're the ones? I'll be going back to Fredericksburg in May; do you remember the name of the store, or where it was located?

EDIT: Was it Homestead?? I just remembered! I checked their website, and they're open again!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I was just in F''burg this week. Love cruising the hills with some great tunes
and the car''s top off, but anyway back to sheets! I bought mine at Linens-N-More
www.LINENS-N-MORE.com

302 E. Main
830 990-1212

I talked with the owner for some time, we had a great chat about sheets.
He walked me around his selection (pretty good!) and compared the feel
of different thread counts. I liked the 800''s better, his fav was the

In the past I have bought from Overstock, but will not make that mistake again.
The sheets were heavy, like sail cloth or something. They were a very high
thread count, but must have been a 3 ply or higher. So I tried to educate myself
a little.

There is also a website www.gracioustyle.com that has some nice things and there is a little sheeting info on there. Good luck finding what you want. Great hearing
someone else who enjoys Fredericksburg. I just dropped some major cash there. Tee Hee!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Ann,

I love Fredericksburg! My BF and I live in Houston and we''ve been riding up there on our motorcycles every May for the last few years. It''s so beautiful with all the twisty roads and clean air!

Anyway, I know where Linens N More is, and I''ll have to check them out. Homestead is also on main, and they had fabulous antique furniture. They sold bed and bath linens in another section of the store, and they were all GORGEOUS. They also had the BEST smelling soap I''ve ever encountered, so I was really sad when I looked them up last year to hear they were closing! I''ll definitely have to make a plan to take the girls in my riding group into town to look at both stores!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 10:28:47 PM
Author: curiopotter
Ann,

I love Fredericksburg! My BF and I live in Houston and we''ve been riding up there on our motorcycles every May for the last few years. It''s so beautiful with all the twisty roads and clean air!

Anyway, I know where Linens N More is, and I''ll have to check them out. Homestead is also on main, and they had fabulous antique furniture. They sold bed and bath linens in another section of the store, and they were all GORGEOUS. They also had the BEST smelling soap I''ve ever encountered, so I was really sad when I looked them up last year to hear they were closing! I''ll definitely have to make a plan to take the girls in my riding group into town to look at both stores!
I''m in Houston also and go up about 3-4 times a year. I hit Boerne, F''burg, Salado, and always the outlet mall in San Marcos. This week I took a little road from San Marcos to F''burg, Blanco River road, so pretty! The river one one side and the hills and Bluebonnets on the other side. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road. Homestead does indeed have a great soap section! I used to buy a black soap there, but last fall they did not have it. I''m overstocked on goodies like that so I didn''t go in that side of the store this time. I might be confusing Homestead with Henfeathers. But I think Homestead was there this time. All the stores become such a blur after a while. I bought some heavy items at Divinely Designs and left them at the store while I finished shopping, so I went back and got my bag. Just today after getting home I discovered they didn''t put all my items in the bags! Grr! Anyway, they are shipping the rest. My car was stuffed with bags.
Not much room left. (Vette) Next time I''m taking the SUV. So you drive up on motorcycles! Wow! How cool! DH used to ride all the time, but had a knee replacement and fears an accident. He has traversed every little road in the HIll Country - knows ''em all!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I needed to buy some new sheets, so I was reading about them on Consumer Reports. According to them over 400 thread count was overkill. They said you're paying more money for not any better quality sheets. They also said the same thing that door knob solitaire said, that thread counts can be deceptive. I thought that was interesting.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.linenplace.com/product_guide/truth_about_thread_count.html

link to thread count info, for what it''s worth.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results