shape
carat
color
clarity

Signs of inflation

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost a year later. Any new thoughts to add?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gas is 5.09 a gallon in So Cal.
The dollar tree store became the 1.25 store.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Apartment rents are way up, 2 bedroom$1000 for a reasonable but basic place and a rabbit hutch is $800
and are going up.
Pre-covid they were $700 and $550.
Gas heating bills are over double.

Any increase in wages people have gotten has more than been taken by increased rent, heating and food costs.
It has also bumped them out of the upper limits on income for any help on top of it.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, with ten more months of hindsight, there has now been well-documented inflation and it is of course making headlines almost daily. The post-COVID bounce-back from scarcity will be slower than initially expected. "Supply chain" is a complicated international hodgepodge, like the (US) domestic energy grid -- hard to anticipate the "butterfly effect." War is not gonna help.

It has not changed how we invest; we still have plenty of intermediate-term bonds because we are in it for the long haul. We are not growth-stock-heavy so we have not even had to re-balance.

From my vantage point, few things have seen as much as inflation as desirable untreated colored stones.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cat food
i buy a dog roll type cat food to feed the strays
It used to be $2.20 a year ago and now its well over $3

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fuel has gone up quite significantly in the past month or so.

I am thankful that I am in gainful employment and don't have to juggle between heating the house or putting food on the table.

DK :confused2:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Groceries are ridiculous and so is gas, everything is going up

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised the Federal Reserve has said nothing regarding these signs of inflation.

8.png

3.jpg

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically here prices don't change for gas until they get a new gas delivery, hubby went to put gas in the jeep and there is a limit on how much at the station so he went down the road to the next station to fill it completely. While in there a man comes in and say's what's up (they had just upped the price by .15 cents a gallon (4.09 regular unleaded) at this station) the worker told him corporate called and told them to raise the price. The one down the street (Speedway) was still lower price. (typically prices don't change until they get a new tanker of gas) Weather was nice and everyone was out and they decided to gouge the prices of gas at Handy Mart, needless to say won't be going there anymore.

Thinking of trading in my Acura that requires high grade gas as it's costing me a fortune now.

Don't even get me started on car prices now.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Houses went up overnight it seems like. Lots of folks moving from the north to our area. They are snapping up expensive homes as well
as the once-affordable-homes to flip. Almost every house I looked at on Zillow in our area was "pending" sale.

Gas went from low $2 to $2.85 as of today. Food has been creeping up for the last year and a half.

Those are the main things I've noticed.
The above was posted on May 6th, 2021

Now, Sept 24th, 2023...
Gas is now $3.69 a gallon in my area (and that is down from over $4.00 at one point.)

Eggs are way down, $1.23/dozen, but almost every other food is significantly up.

The housing market seems to have settled and by that I mean it quit going up and is just staying at a high. I think this may
be the new "norm".

My son pays $1700+ additional fees for a 1 bedroom apartment. 4 years ago my son was paying $1100 for a 1 bedroom.
Unfortunately, that is typical around here now. You can get slightly less expensive around $1500 but then they aren't that
nice and they are hard to find due to demand.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gas hit over 6 bucks a gallon in my neck of the woods. Sigh. I’m

Is that for regular or do you have to do premium?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Took this pic yesterday ,,, :oops2:
Not a great one as we were driving past. $6 for regular in an affluent area north of NYC.

IMG_0332.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333, $1.23 for a dozen eggs?! Is this at Aldi? Aldi is cheapest for eggs here in CT at $1.39.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333, $1.23 for a dozen eggs?! Is this at Aldi? Aldi is cheapest for eggs here in CT at $1.39.
Thats a walmart price! I am in the south where prices run lower than up north where you're at. My family loves "breakfast"
for dinner...I feel like I'm getting off really cheap on those nights (well, except for the bacon)!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a walmart price! I am in the south where prices run lower than up north where you're at. My family loves "breakfast"
for dinner...I feel like I'm getting off really cheap on those nights (well, except for the bacon)!

we pay 3x that here.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
TP just this year up from 19.00 to 27.00 for the same thing.
Paper plates this year up from 4.00 to 13.00 for the same thing.
Eggs are back down everything else is up on the year.
Asking prices on houses are down on the year but actual sale prices are up. In our area forever the sale price was ask or under.
I guess we just caught up with the rest now sale prices are over ask most of the time.
Rents are sky high but more stable with strong but weakening demand.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Car insurance. Mine went down every year until all this started. 50% increase in the last 4 renewals or so.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most eggs here are at around $5 a dozen and up. The state requires that they are either cage free or free range now. I haven't looked at Aldi or Walmart so they could be less there, but once the requirement that they be cage free or free range went in, we saw increases and that was before Covid.
Premium gas it around $4.50 a gallon depending on the neighborhood.

Housing prices are down. The last two years, many sold for well over asking price, but that doesn't seem to be happening now and I do see some price drops.

Rents are ridiculous. My daughter pays $2000 a month for a one bedroom in a town 30 miles outside of the city. In the city she would probably pay at least $3000.

My Homeowner's insurance has remained the same for several years and auto has gone up a bit since last year. I think about $100.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most eggs here are at around $5 a dozen and up. The state requires that they are either cage free or free range now. I haven't looked at Aldi or Walmart so they could be less there, but once the requirement that they be cage free or free range went in, we saw increases and that was before Covid.
Premium gas it around $4.50 a gallon depending on the neighborhood.

Housing prices are down. The last two years, many sold for well over asking price, but that doesn't seem to be happening now and I do see some price drops.

Rents are ridiculous. My daughter pays $2000 a month for a one bedroom in a town 30 miles outside of the city. In the city she would probably pay at least $3000.

My Homeowner's insurance has remained the same for several years and auto has gone up a bit since last year. I think about $100.

Even with the exchange rate your eggs are still cheaper than ours

but has anyone brought cat food this week ?
its through the roof
and i assume dog food is the same
no wonder the SPCA is overflowing

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even with the exchange rate your eggs are still cheaper than ours

but has anyone brought cat food this week ?
its through the roof
and i assume dog food is the same
no wonder the SPCA is overflowing

My cat food order comes in the next week. We order a variety of foods (picky eaters including the two who demand variety). These are the prices for a single case of each in August of each year. Both had been noticeably lower prior to 2020, but I don't have those numbers. Just checked and prices for each as of today are the same or a bit lower than August was.

2023: $25.98
2022: $20.98
2021: $19.20
2020: $21.35

2023: $12.83
2022: $14.26
2021: $10.68
2020: $9.50

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cat food order comes in the next week. We order a variety of foods (picky eaters including the two who demand variety). These are the prices for a single case of each in August of each year. Both had been noticeably lower prior to 2020, but I don't have those numbers. Just checked and prices for each as of today are the same or a bit lower than August was.

2023: $25.98
2022: $20.98
2021: $19.20
2020: $21.35

2023: $12.83
2022: $14.26
2021: $10.68
2020: $9.50
i just ordered the groceries for a fornight
i didnt buy any cat biscuits this time but the wet food came in at $125 for just boxes of sachets of regular supermarket food
Borris and Sox will both eat two sachettes each meal
ill supliment that with any chicken and roast beef sandwhiches (the fillings) that are left over at work and ill cook them a chicken in the slowcooker and ive ordered their regular grocery day treat which is tuna in springwater
we have two/four cats, Borris and Fluffy plus Puff Ball and Sox the two Tabbies outside in the laundry/ back door that the SPCA wouldnt take, they are all fixed and mircochiped so i guess they are staying (the SPCA did gave us snip and chip vouchesr)

back 3 years ago when Tibby brought his 4 wild kittens home we were feeding 7 cats and it cost about $60 a fornight -admintadly i feed the kittens store brand (that is no longer available) and cat sussaage (like dog roll) and cat biscuits were a lot cheaper, once the kittens were friendly they went to the SPCA with plenty of meat on their bones

i need to get down to the butcher and buy some of the frozen pet mince they have, everybody loves that, its not particulary cheap but it seems filling
thank goodness no on is too fussy

Poor Borris remembers when it was just her, and she had Dine for dinner

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results